Why did they stop making and using the crown vic ? Even modern police cruisers look terrible compared to it

why did they stop making and using the crown vic ? Even modern police cruisers look terrible compared to it
youtube.com/watch?v=YUsMkpzh7aY

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice
motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/impala/2007/police-car-comparison/
reddit.com/r/CrownVictoria/
jalopnik.com/tag/ford-crown-victoria
nh.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=crown victoria
nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/low-mileage-1999-mercury/6314781048.html
youtu.be/YUsMkpzh7aY?t=554
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shut the fuck up you fucking loser

The Jews want to destroy the US.

The Crown Vic is my favorite cruiser of all time.

I wish the Caprice PPV was more successful.

The Caprice was beautiful vehicle, and the stats on it were fantastic.

>tfw no 6.0L V8

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FWD

kys cucks

>being this retarded
The Caprice PPV is a long wheelbase Commodore, also called the Caprice or Statesman in Australia. Until the next model year of production where it's gonna be a rebadged Opel, there has never been a FWD Commodore.

Were you thinking of the Taurus?

Ummmmmmmm......
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice

You may be better off shitposting on

The Taurus was such a flunk that my local PD is switching to Tahoes early 2018, alongside the Chargers they already have

I've never met a cop that liked the Ford Taurus

>when youre an autist who thinks the crown vic is good looking so cops should still use it

its old fucking garbage and I dont think anyone outside of old people like how it looks

All 446 of the exploders in Austin were retired in favor of older crown vics because they had over 60 officers getting carbon monoxide poisoning. One officer fell unconscious while driving and caused a fairly bad accident. Some other towns including Galveston, Boston, and Henderson have also pulled their exploders out of service because of the same issue. The NHTSA says they have over 2700 reports of excessive CO in civilian cars too.

It was an ancient platform in a world obsessed with mpg and pedestrian safety. It was only a matter of time.

t. reddit

There was nothing better suited for handling taxi duty in NYC. Cabs have never and will never be the same.

theyre better now for sure

even all the Chrysler minivans are better

They are all awful now, and now the drivers can't drive for shit either.

Ignore/filter tripfags

Disagree.
Pretty sure the car had at least some part in having the city taken over by Uber.

There's one near me for 13 grand. Hopefully in a few years they'll still be around.

aka youre a Crown Vic fanboy

they were garbage and outdated 2 decades ago let alone now

yeah make your little safespace so you can circle jerk over shit with no criticism and no threat of killing yourself

OP's reasoning is wrong, but the CV was much better suited to abuse than anything that's come after it.

No, sorry. Nothing else made you feel that luxury feel of RWD while somehow managing to make the roads feel nice and having a white angry eastern european man swear and make sure you could feel how AMERICAN the V8 was while you were ducking in sloshed or had to FUCKING GET SOMEWHERE RIGHT DAMN NOW or whatever.

confirmed for turboautist Crown Vic fanboy

jesus christ how cringey

None of which are arguments for terminating the Panther platform. Apply yourself.

Being old tech doesn't make them bad. A ladder frame meant they could be repaired more easily instead of being totalled. Basic, durable Ford 8.8 at the back, could handle anything thrown at it. Long travel front suspension, perfect for hopping curbs. Only real flaw that comes to mind was the early version of the plastic intake manifold.

>tripshit has shit taste
Wow I never would have guessed.

The factory was literally wearing out. Also they couldn't fit side curtain airbags without a major retool IIRC.

>shit taste user fanboys

wow what a surprise

Ford and Toyota has the worst fanbase on the planet

its an old piece of shit that gets outperformed by everything while being horrible on economy

no it being an antiquated piece of shit makes it bad

and magically other cop cars cant do anything none of what you listed is special

Crown Vics were never good and were outperformed even in their heyday

it was just cheap get over yourself

It's almost like there are other reasons to like a car besides performance or fuel economy.

And crash rating was shit.
And handling was shit.
And guzzled gas.
But it was old tech so it was easier to fix, it was comfortable enough to sit in for hours on end, and it was large enough to haul everything and the perps.

thats what chrysler said about the XJ, but then sold the tooling to china

all it ever had going for it was cheapness

>get over yourself
coming from the faggot who thinks his identity matters on an anonymous imageboard

Some police have policy to not buy unamerican cars. They're from Australia so that knocks wuite a few potential buyers out.

And durability

It's still GM so that's pretty dumb.

says the faggot who goes out of his way to derail a thread because someone has a name and it tingles his autism

but ayy people like you just kill the board so why not

cool every cop car

nothing special

The chargers and Tauruses are laughably brittle. Not even close to the p71.

nice source

P71 gets btfo by every other cop car

has to be the most overrated American car in existence

>P71 gets btfo by every other cop car
>has to be the most overrated American car in existence
source?

>Muh on paper stats

Every department is having sky high repairs and Logistics issues now that they went from 1 model to 4-5 different cars. Unibody frames lose integrity with all the little fender bender cop cars go through. The crown Vic they simply replace panels.

nice source

really?

even the 9C1 kicked its ass all over the road back in the 90s

even the fwd Impalas stomped it

and after looking it up the P71 cost more than both it and the Charger at the time

its a fucking piece of shit

yeh boy lets all go back to using 1911s and 1903s because the users are too retarded to take care of modern equipment

stations dont use the same cars for more than a few years so it doesnt matter anyway

motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/impala/2007/police-car-comparison/

lol ok ya smaefagging fanboy heres one

maybe you should use google

>yeh boy lets all go back to using 1911s and 1903s because the users are too retarded to take care of modern equipment

They literally have been reconsidering it.

Again you're comparing shitty track tests not the durability record. Just look at the P71 brake intervals. It's like 80k miles. Police cars don't have to be fast. Most chases involve shitboxes like yours that a P71 catches easy.

P71 is on par with a 20 year old Honda Accord

they cant catch shit without a radio

even a little cheap ass Civic hatchback these days will smoke the fuck out of it

and yeah its better use shittier equipment instead of better people

and sorry but Ford has their protect program that covers scheduled maintenance free of charge with the new cars

So what's performance good for if it keeps up with your favorite shitboxes just fine? All the new police cars' performance goes out the window when it comes to jumping curbs and pit maneuvers.

>All the new police cars' performance goes out the window when it comes to jumping curbs and pit maneuvers.

no they dont

the P71 isnt some magical car ffs it does nothing special you fanboys are delusional to high hell

>So what's performance good for if it keeps up with your favorite shitboxes just fine?

but it doesnt its literally slower than modern minivans and just barely beats out little shitboxes like FIts

So you have proof a minivan jumping a curb at 60mph and driving straight afterwards?

look at this guy having a meltdown

so literally the only defense of the P71 is curb hopping

wtflol

you really have to overblow something that isnt even special

sorry youre highly situational request isnt a common occurance

damn you're trying too hard. just accept that people like what you don't like. CVPI is Veeky Forumss ak47.

whats the matter with you exactly? did a P71 kill your mother?

I can't speak to stats and stuff, but Police and taxis liked the Crown Vic, and they liked it for very specific reasons.

It was the last car Ford built that was meant for reliability over performance. Especially the fleet versions, which usually had heavy duty suspension. They were built to be abused, and they were, and yet lots of them are still on the road.

Police departments and Taxi companies across the country scrambled to buy as much stock as they could when Ford announced they were discontinuing the Crown Vic. No other police car before or after has gotten such a response. usually, Departments were more than happy to move on to the next big thing, but currently, aside from Ford Explorers, no other car has been as preferred.

And the fact that the car lasted as long as it did also speaks to that. Panthers have been used for cops since the fucking 80's with the LTD Crown Vic.

Cops dont care about track tests. they dont even particularly care about speed. They want reliability and ease of repair.

Crown Vic offered both, and was also moderately comfortable for long stretches on the road. That's all there is to it. If any automaker offered something that had the same combination of reliability, ease of repair, and comfort, they'd go for it. But since everything and it's mother is unibody and cramped, that goes out the window.

It's hard to overstate that the panther really was the last of a very specific breed of car, and that was the kind of car that Cops had gotten used to using since the fucking 60's (AKA body on frame RWD full size sedan with simple easy to fix engineering, and a bit of leg room.)

>basic one line arguments is trying too hard

not my fault your brain is being taxed by it
not my fault idiots circle jerk shitty cars either
not my fault they get triggered by facts either

sorry retards make threads acting like a car is the greatest thing ever and expect no opposition

these idiots deserve to be ridiculed

>fanboy drivel as damage control

neato

last of a breed that deserved to die and good riddance

He's just a really sour trip that is butthurt about every car since he doesn't own one.

There's no need to be so upset, tripfag user.

It's ok. Personally, I like the current Taurus, at least from a design pov. Dunno how good or bad it is in performance or comfort or anything, but if I could get one with a column shifter like the one the cops get, I'd go for it.

>now theyre really doing the u mad damage control

jesus christ

gg guys

seems Ive destroyed any argument you could make with little effort and youve already been reduced to low level pettiness

have a nice day

You know it really says something that they offer trucks with column shifters but not cars, or they start putting the shifter in the motherfucking dashboard or whatever.

I mean, c'mon. In a world where autos are so ubiquitous to the point where they put imitation flappy paddles on econoboxes, why do they still design cars like they need to simulate having a shifter on the floor instead of using that real estate for something else? All the manuels worth driving are already designed around shiter placement anyway so fuck the rest of the nonsense. Column shifter is superior for auto.

SO HOW ABOUT DAT P71 eh?

>>>www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart

The new Taurus is terrible. They're bigger than a crown Vic. Smaller interior than a crown Vic. And a sideways v6 engine makes it a bitch to work on. Not to mention it's more fragile.

>>>reddit.com/r/CrownVictoria/
>>>jalopnik.com/tag/ford-crown-victoria

that's a shame. because the collumn shifter makes my dick hard

All police models have the column shifter. The Caprice didn't but the 2013 and newer does.

I don't own one faggot

I dont know why column shifters are no longer any kind of standard option on any car.

Especially now that it's been out of favor for some time, it would be a novelty.

I mean maybe this is bias because I have one, but it's incredibly convenient having the shifter right there in front of you.

I'm indifferent to what cars police use except to learn what my local cops have so I can recognize them at a glance and avoid being ticketed for my many day-to-day traffic violations.
In that respect, I preferred the P71 because it was easy to tell from far away what it was, and it was likely a cop because nobody drove the civilian versions except old people. Plus the civvie ones were chromed all to fuck so you could tell it wasn't police.
The explorer is a sneaky piece of shit that looks like every other goddamn soccer mom SUV on the road, plus it's extremely popular with civilians because it IS a soccer mom SUV. And any asshole can buy a white one with a black grille and troll around town at 30mph with a bunch of cars behind them afraid to pass because it might be the po-po. Fuck the explorer and its popularity. If bureaucracies weren't retarded by design, I'd think they planned this.

yeah the Crown Vic and Taurus civvie models are easy to spot because they have the black plastic fleet grille.

The explorer however, can actually BE bought civvie with a black "sporty" grille".

though general rule of thumb is if you see a white explorer/Taurus/Crown Vic with a black plastic grille, it's usually a cop car.

hell, the taurus is easy to spot, because the grille flashers are easily visible under the grille.

Muh sporty feel.

Can't see it from the rear view, but the cop cars almost always used to have steel wheels as well. The motherfucker was when folks started picking them up at auctions and leaving on the spotlight on the side.

But realistically if you know the limits and you're not driving like an asshat then there's not much need to worry. Cops only go slow when they're on their way home or whatever, and generally won't give you trouble if you notice it's a cop car going cop speeds and then decline to pass or otherwise obviously go faster than you should.

but even on non sporty cars.

i think it's just one of those things that went the way of the dodo simply because it became associated with "old people" and "old people cars"

like classic 3 box sedan design. Or Oldsmobile.

I need a $1500ish shitbox to drive for a while, been looking on craigslist and haven't had too much luck. Found out there is going to be a a 2006 decom police intercepter with 120k on it going for auction up north a ways. What should I know about auctions before going? Do these generally go for less at the auctions than on CL?

If I could get it for $1000 ish I'd be happy.

>EXCELLENT RUNNING 2006 POLICE INTERCEPTOR JUST RELEASED FROM SERVICE LOW MILES,TO BE SOLD AT AUCTION SUNDAY SEPT 24TH

They should be cheaper.

Just realize that milage doesnt actually matter with crown vics. it's idle time you need to watch out for, and theres no real way to tell that.

1000 should be fine, maybe you can get it cheaper.

on Craigslist you are likely to pay a bit more than 1k, but will usually have more information to back it up.

that said, i wouldnt go for a crown vic if you want a shitbox. that kind of car is a bit of a commitment because it's not just a car you can pump and dump, it will take all the abuse you dish out, while giving you shitty gas mileage. i'd say a crown vic is more a car you get when it's specifically what you are looking for. At which point you get a Grand Marquis instead because it's usually been decently cared for by an old lady.

Column shifters are on plenty of modern cars, even Teslas and Mercedes

Up here it's pretty hard to find a not total garbage one for less than $1500.

nh.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=crown victoria

>Just realize that milage doesnt actually matter with crown vics. it's idle time you need to watch out for, and theres no real way to tell that.
I'm aware of that, but at least they get regular maintenance.

>that said, i wouldnt go for a crown vic if you want a shitbox. that kind of car is a bit of a commitment because it's not just a car you can pump and dump, it will take all the abuse you dish out, while giving you shitty gas mileage. i'd say a crown vic is more a car you get when it's specifically what you are looking for. At which point you get a Grand Marquis instead because it's usually been decently cared for by an old lady.
When I shitbox, I mean just something to drive around and will last, I don't really care about mileage too too much. My taurus used to get like in the low teens somehow, so as long as I get near there I'd be okay. Might eventually throw a hitch on it so I can transport some stuff, nothing too extreme, less than 500 pounds at most.

Speaking of marquis, I actually missed one in my searches.
If I can't snag the interceptor for less than $1000, I'll probably give them a call about this marquis.
nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/low-mileage-1999-mercury/6314781048.html

Union rules are union rules.

>CVPI is Veeky Forumss ak47
the crown vic is the mosin nagant of cars, not the ak47

>old as hell
>insanely reliable
>does its job and nothing more
>can be used as a tent stake/throwing javelin/mobile barricade/bed in a pinch
>will corrode like the devil if you don't clean it
>used to be cheap as dirt but dwindling supply and over-memeing of its capabilities has driven the price way higher than it should be for a not-beat to shit example
>changing your intake manifold is like using a 2x4 to beat the bolt closed

>doesn't go CHHK-CHHK-CHHK as you row through the gears
That limp dicked piece of plastic isn't the same thing and you know it.

>it's idle time you need to watch out for, and theres no real way to tell that.
Newer Vics (03+? Whatever year it was they all got the digital info center in the gauge cluster) can show idle time in hours on the info center.

>like classic 3 box sedan design. Or Oldsmobile.
Both of these things hurt me more than they should. Or maybe exactly as much as they should.

That Marquis looks pretty clean, but keep in mind it's pre-03 so you'll have to replace the intake manifold at some point- it's also pre-01 so it has the old round-opening heads instead of the square-opening Performance Improved heads so that could cause issues with the new manifold lining up properly unless you also swap the heads.

>9:14 youtu.be/YUsMkpzh7aY?t=554
REKT

2006 the idle hours meter started becoming a thing. All 2007+ have it. Some 2006 do.

>that cruiser catching at at 10 minutes
I can feel my blood turning into apple pie and my hands are instinctively clapping. Gob bles :-DD

*catching air

>40 minutes
>a fucking base model Cavalier outrunning a crown vic both in corners and straightaways

/thread

This is tru desu, I love the column shifter on my town car.

civilian Taurus arent super common

Are there any PDs or Sheriffs still using CVs?

Crown Vic is still the standard cruiser in my town.

The next town over is all Chargers.

autism thread. every new police car after the crown vic is superior.

everyone ITT that likes them are the type of autists that want a crown vic because they think they will intimidate people on the road

I am not joking, it was Obama. His EPA & NHTSA regulations killed it.

Sad...it worked really well....crash repair was better since it was a body on frame design...rode well, could carry a lot of stuff....would fit two large policemen in relative comfort.

The best alternative we have now is the Chevrolet Tahoe SUV.

The Ford Taurus is a nightmare. Won't fit normal size humans in all their gear, one & done crash repairability, drives like a toyota camry (AWD system is power always to the front and gives a little to rear when computer senses slip)...terrible rearward visibility.....

>The best alternative we have now is the Chevrolet Tahoe SUV.
I know of a hangar full of Tahoes that our local PD and sheriffs department bought and had to park after 3,000 miles because they were snapping crankshafts, and even the warranty engines were having the same problem. But what do I know, I’m just some dude posting on a Belarusian radioactive beaver trapping forum.

>snapping crankshafts
Jesus. How do you hide a mistake that bad? Did they dump a bad run of engines on PDs as basically a government bailout?

>and now the drivers can't drive for shit either.

>Implying they were good at driving beforehand

>totalled easier
>less interior space
>far less durable suspension
What are your arguments for new cop cars being better?