/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #787 - Desert Edition.

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtCbsQnK-Ks
youtube.com/watch?v=8SKSyq1ivBs
youtube.com/watch?v=xNIp-sOzr58
youtube.com/watch?v=tYHAWw6EG-c
youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1YtFJEUMI
youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY
youtu.be/5RHdrmZsNs0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sonic Forces will be a good game

>not running
Garbage filename.

Thanks, the new thread was timed well for once.

youtube.com/watch?v=jtCbsQnK-Ks

look at this dude's thumbnail

Is he trans, or just poking fun at himself?
Cause he just looks like a dude. A pretty thin dude but still just a dude

The environments are really pretty in-game and I really appreciate when artists draws backgrounds as it seems like it's not a common thing to do.

I almost forgot about the StC summer special (as well as a few others). This one has a relevant Knuckles storyline in it so I will dump that before moving on to the Sonic 3 stories.

it's just clickbait

Something compels me to post this Knuckles' profile from the Summer issue.
What are the current official character ages anyway. I though Knuckles was supposed to be older than Sonic.

The video itself was cringe.

>Sonic 15 Knuckles 16

Kitching wrote an entire Knuckles Knock Out Summer special in 1996, with Chaotic and everything. Don't let me forget to post it if we get that far
> tfw these are over 20 years old

I recognise this artist, but I don't remember the name. It looks similar to the Decap Attack artists, so Steve Potter maybe? I am very tempted to dump the Decap Attack stories to /co/ or maybe /vr/. Not sure where they're on topic though.

early knuckles looks seriously fucked up

Actually in-game I think Knuckles was tall and fairly built. I think most early StC artists stayed in classic Sonic pot-belly mode though.
I appreciate when an artist notices little things like the tooth. Does knuckles even have the fangs anymore?

>zoom tube

delete this

Zoom Tube >>> Zoot Toot

Prove me wrong faggots.

What's the official term for the pipes anyway?
I'm not sure if this ship is supposed to be the Death Egg or not. By this stage Sonic 3 had been out a while. Maybe this was an early Sonic 3 teaser story that got shifted to the Summer Special?

Three pages in and the writers of even the earliest comics made note of the fact that Knuckles was alone and presumably waiting for his people to return or wondering about them. They made a point of him being a guardian as well.
We had this discussion a few threads back about the basics of Knuckles' original backstory and how when you take it away there's way less of a character left.
And again I don't know why the interior here looks like a submarine.

In the Fleetway canon, the Floating Island starts with its own set of Chaos Emeralds. It won't be a big issue really.

Also, did any other spin-off go into details about how Robotnik met Knuckles? Did Archie ever have a side story about it?

COME ON LIGHT THE FUSE HE'S A ROCKET AND HE'S READY TO GO

So do they pull an Archie and combine into the Master Emerald?

Early Knuckles is cool. He has that air of mystery to him on top of being strong and capable. Really resent how Adventure de-mystified him and Angel Island all at once. Would've been cool if they only implied what Chaos's origin was instead of outright taking several characters to the past.

/vr/ would probably appreciate Decap Attack more.

for whatever reason I am reading this with dan green and long john baldry's voices

it's glorious

Not really. By the time issue 13 starts, Knuckles and Robotnik have already met.

CAUSE NOW THE COUNTDOWN HAS STARTED AND HE'S READY TO BLOW

Attempting to find flowers in every media is kind of suffering.

Zoot Schute, dummy.

Close but no. We'll get to it eventually.
> Adventure de-mystified him and Angel Island all at once
Gonna have to disagree user-senpai. SA1 gave the Emerald and the Echidnas more depth but not actually Knuckles himself. I still think there's a lot there left to explore.
youtube.com/watch?v=8SKSyq1ivBs
youtube.com/watch?v=xNIp-sOzr58
Just declared as having met, or there was an on page first meeting?
OK. Back to the regular issues. I'm getting a sudden urge to dump more since the thread is kind of quiet but is this a good idea.

I think Fleetway are retconning the Death Egg crash at the End of Sonic 2 back into their own canon here, since it was still floating around a few issues ago.

Knuckles is dumb and stupid. And fat.

Cute Sally

>Just declared as having met, or there was an on page first meeting?
They just met off-screen. When Sonic and Tails encounter Knuckles, he's already met Robotnik.

>I think Fleetway are retconning the Death Egg crash at the End of Sonic 2 back into their own canon here, since it was still floating around a few issues ago.
Not really. The one in issue 6 is the Death Egg I. The one in the Summer Special was Death Egg II.

meant to respond to

ROLLIN' AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND!

Team Dark

More like
Team Dork
LMAO

There is another Death Egg in the Special Zone, but I think the (wrecked) one seen in Issue 6 is the one which crashed. I'm not certain really.
I think Elson changes his art style in this issue to move Sonic closer to the Sprite set seen in Sonic 3. Overall he's drawn less .... angry ... than in previous issues.

heh. pretty clever for a kid.

I don't ever know how to feel when we get mentioned outside of Veeky Forums.

Why does this sound so good?
youtube.com/watch?v=tYHAWw6EG-c

I like Shade the Echidna to be honest. Much more than I like Tikal. Fuck Tikal.

if it was that easy to find why didn't anyone find it before

is the tornado the only aircraft in the world or what

MORE LIKE TEAM DIARRHEA

You'd think people would be more receptive to ancient legends considering shit like Little Planet, the Special Zone, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.

because of megaman

This game is going to be so good no one will even buy Mania or Forces.

Kintobar triangulated it while tracking the Death Egg's descent.
Sonic may look more cheerful, but he's no less nasty to Tails.
I'm still reading Johnny Lightfoot in an Auzzie accent.

No, that's the Egg Fortress.

Johnny seems more like a Rob Paulsen character to me.

This is canon

youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1YtFJEUMI

so here's an intro dialogue scene from Injustice 2.
let's say there's a sonic fighting game in the same vain.
want to try and write some of them for the sonic cast?

Vector: you still own me money Eggman!
Eggman: you're not a getting penny out of me
Vector: looks like I'll have to rough you up!

Knuckles: I took you out with one punch when we first met
Sonic: I didn't have the hang of going super
Knuckles: and I guess the sun was in your eyes too?

Shadow: those aliens aren't here to help you
Sonic: weren't you made form an alien?
Shadow: don't remind me.

I AM ROFLING OVER 9000 LOLS HERE

IS THIS AN ACTUAL THING?

Yup.

In my headcanon that was another Death Egg. I have no idea why.
We're in Marble Garden Zone for anyone rusty in the memory department.
And there is no mercy or respite for Fleetway Tails.

I wanna pet that Blaze

Sonic is overal a lot more cheery in these issues, but I think Elson reverts back to surly/smirk later on. I'm pretty sure he's changed the way he's drawing Sonic as well, but I have 0 art training or terminology so I can't really tell here.
His Tails is a lot better though, but I think this is as good as it gets. For whatever reason, Elson could never get Tails "right".

I think we've basically covered all the main gameplay additions in Sonic 3 by now.
Also, I have no idea why there is a Pointdexter in Marble Garden instead of a Bubbles.

Does Sonic ever tell Tails about it later?

Suddenly Knuckles
Knuckles will be sporting the lip curl/smirk for quite a while.
Next up is the Bargey in the Gargey. And fuck it it's Alone-day night so I may just dump.

youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY

Your move Sega

youtu.be/5RHdrmZsNs0

>E3 barely even started and yet, we have Bubsy and Atari returning from the dead

> Steve Potter
Actually, it may be Kitching himself who drew these. I have no idea really.
Not Tails, but it is explained.
Bumping with ENTER THE KNUCKLES: PART 2 that's the actual story title
Knuckles' leer here haunts me, but not as much as Robotnik's rear side profile.

The 90s are back. Prepare for the next Nickelback album.

If anything, this feels like a response to Sonic bringing back Classic games and harnessing the autism of OC's.

What a world.

I like it when Robotnik's raw cunning is emphaised. He's an evil genius, so he should be able to use guile and deceit to get ahead as much as technological mastery.
"Play with my Emuralds?"

I really don't like seeing Robotnik from behind his mustache. His upper lip area just looks weird.

Did you know that Animaniacs is returning to TV ?

And Cowboy Bebop is getting a live action TV show?

What the fuck is happening

Laziness mostly

Not just children shit. Fuller House, PrisonBreak, 24, im sure much much more shows having reunion seasons

And The Rock is running for president in 2020?
And The Incredibles 2 will release next year?

I don't know if I wanna see Dot Warner do wrecking ball.

We live in the cursed timeline

Can modern animation studios even animate something like Animaniacs?

Hope you enjoy flash.

I think it's nice that's there's at least one canon (Boom) where Sonic actually has feelings for Amy. She usually is friendzoned in everything else.

COULD they? Sure.

WILL they? Nope.

No, they'll just use cheap flash animation just like with the new megaman cartoon where Mega is a teenager named Rock who transforms into megaman to fight crime in hilarious 5 minute episodes.

Yeah, but they can only barely imply it, because if they do anything more, Sega'll cancel the shit out of it.

Shouldn't there be hair there? Or does it all just pring out from the centre.
Was it Generations or Lego Dimensions that made the fake moustache joke?
This is now a Rival Fight.
Most media treats Knuckles' spines as relatively rigid I think, but early on the rastafarian influence turned them more into dreadlocks.

>Rock

lol get that nip shit outta here

his name is Aki now

OK.
Look.
This is a stretch.
But in the first two panels, are we not looking at some form of Tornado Jump from Heroesa and Knuckle's digging abilities from SA1/2?
My headcanon is making meta-inferences that won't support scrutiny, but I cannot remain silent: Did the comics influence the later games?

Knuckles was always able to dig. It was mentioned in both Western and Japanese manuals for Sonic 3.

We live in a timeline of Sonic memes, electro music, gacha games, bad CG animation and moeshit, all of this in the entertainment territory only.
And we are all in our late twenties, either failed our studies or in shitty jobs, arguing about an era we were too stupid to fully enjoy, while stupid kids diss everything that isn't 3D or Minecraft.
It's unbearable.

When alone and exposed above ground, Eggmen are vulnerable to air predators such as red foxes.

>implying based Nippon would associate with filthy Gaijin
It's a fucking miracle that Mania exists.

allahu akbar
-tails

Not really. Sega of Japan barely knew anything about international media during the production of the Adventure games or Heroes. In fact, communication was so barren between the Segas of the world that the Fleetway staff only had a single promotional poster/screenshot to work with for the Adventure adaptation.

are we forgetting that sonic adventure was made in LA?

Geez user you laid it a little thick there. I go to sonic for escapism. This is literally the opposite.

Best insult coming through!

Sorry. All that nostalgia-baiting got me too nostalgic. I need Forces and Mania as soon as possible.

>not faker

I'll bet no-one saw this coming. How often do you see Robotnik getting kidnapped by Tails?
Knuckles! Rescue me!
Also, Knuckles' chest patch is being drawn as a metal collar here. Was it always supposed to have been white fur? I remember being confused about this.