So 50:50 weight distribution is mostly a marketing meme, but is there any situation where it's actually ideal?

So 50:50 weight distribution is mostly a marketing meme, but is there any situation where it's actually ideal?

Other urls found in this thread:

fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
motortrend.com/news/2017-porsche-911-turbo-s-hardest-launching-car-ever-tested/
youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In the middle of a corner, when not changing speed or trajectory.

50/50 gives you a great driving feel, and helps overall in control of car. Alot of other cars that dont have good balance have to rely on bunch of computer tech to make up for their imbalance

when you are a miatafag.
Those cunts always end up blabbing about 50 50 wd.

The car most consistently praised for it's perfect balance, in just about every video I've watched, is the Cayman which is 46:54

If 50 50 is so great then why is the fastest car down hot version touge a MRS instead of a miata?

Its just one factor out of many. In the apex of a corner an even weight balance means all 4 tires have the same potential capacity for grip(barring the effect of steer effecting surface contact) since there is near equal weight over each axle.
Having an even weight balance doesn't necessarily mean a car will handle well though. Suspensions are dreadfully complicated.

>is there any situation where it's actually ideal?
Yes, if you ever find yourself in situation where you are endlessly turning at constant radius and don't accelerate or deaccelerate at all then 50/50 is the ideal weight distribution.

Is this why the Corvette (50:50) has the highest skidpad g-force rating?

fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings

Anything above 1G is all down to aero rather than weigh distribution.

It might play a factor, but no one could say how much unless they had Chevy's engineering data. The Corvette is low, ride, and has a lot of aero downforce at speed. It also has a fancy high tech MR suspension system.

all BMWs are praised for their balance too and they are either 52/48 or 49/51 balanced
50/50 may not be the best balance for hardcore track driving but it's the best for regular spirited driving

Skid-pad figures barely translate to real live conditions and here is something to think about them; many FWD and AWD cars usually beat their RWD counterparts on skid-pad rating but no one in their right mind says they handle better on track or under spirited driving on street. Also when we venture to serious driving a car with rear weight bias will always destroy one with 50/50 weight distribution at braking, turn-in and general driving dynamics.

>B-but muh list lists corvette as #1!!!1!
Did all cars on that list have same tires? If they did were they the same size ones? Were they driven under 100% similar conditions (temperature/humidity)? Also aerodynamics and suspension settings matter both in skid-pad ratings and real world handling.

>50/50 may not be the best balance for hardcore track driving but it's the best for regular spirited driving

This

Most of us aint racer, so 50/50 is fucking awesome for the streets. Miatas are fun as hell and the 50/50 is one of the big reasons why

>either 52/48 or 49/51 balanced
*blocks your path*

what?
it's 49.8/50.2 for the E46 M3.

I prefer rear weight bias. if your shit isn't at least 40/60 then get that weak shit out of here.

I prefer not dying on my commute

You're probably right, but non-M's are 50/50

t. Ferdinand Porsche

it's very near 50/50 on all BMW's, including their 2 ton SUV's and even the FWD minivan 2 series active tourer.

>Put more fucking weight in the back!
>All of it!
>We'll make the rear wheels steer too.

Truly he was a visionary.

And this is why 50 50 is a meme.
Only uneducated busriding bencracers with no experience in track driving praise it.

>Using decimals like they mean something

Well in a market flooded with fwd nose heavy shit boxes, marketing 50:50 is an easy, perfect sounding way to improve car sales.
Just like SYMMETRICAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE is a good marketing wank.

50/50 is optimal to keep tire air as low as possible in any given situation. A slight rear weight bias is best for track unless you're driving in reverse.

50/50 is best all you faggots praise and jerk off all over the viper and it's one of the fastest around tracks

The Viper ACR is pretty incredible, but it also has an absurd amount of aero. It too is also a super low and wide car.
Its impossible to say just how much the weight balance really matters when theres so much contributing to handling.

it's great if all 4 tires are the same size, which is the cheapest solution.

>unless you're driving in reverse.
Only a few cars do that

>Porsche 911 GT3
>65/35 dist
>325 rears
>245 fronts
>more rear aero than front aero
This doesn't make sense to me from a physics standpoint. Wouldn't having such a light front end combined with skinny tires create shitloads of understeer?

The rear axle has steering too, and Porsche rear steering alters its performance based on vehicle speed.
The only notable issue with their weight balance is that a good launch puts so much power down the front end comes close to actually lifting off of the ground.

Apparently the current Turbo S actually manages to lift its front wheels under a hard launch.

Truly they're the best German automaker.

>Spirit MR-S sets lap record
>still loses to Feed's FD

Is there a situation where 50:50 weight distribution wouldn't be ideal?

In the snow

Braking in a straight line, and acceleration in a RWD car. You want rear weight bias in these scenarios.

FF cars benefit from their front weight bias under acceleration, since it puts more weight on the driven wheels.

>buy a 50/50 car
>not having it corner balanced for your weight
shiggydiggy

Wasn't that FD formerly Chuck's?

source on that?

motortrend.com/news/2017-porsche-911-turbo-s-hardest-launching-car-ever-tested/

holy fuck. I dont think even the street legal dragster Hellcat can do that

Yeah, you need to step up to a Demon if you want a factory car that can lift the front wheels.
That Turbo S is utterly insane.

if your car is 50/50 the balance changes during corner.

Thats why certain car manufacturers go for 53/47 instead, because only then it becomes 50/50 during corners.

Physics.

>motortrend.com/news/2017-porsche-911-turbo-s-hardest-launching-car-ever-tested/

>580hp in a 911
>0-60 in 2.5sec
>almost as quick accelerating as a 700hp EV with all wheel drive
Goddamn

It ties a P100D Ludicrous+ up to 40mph and fucking demolishes a Veyron, which has double the power. It's mental.

I wonder if they'll ever be able to top this level of performance without going to some hybrid system in the near future like the 918.

It's also got a low polar moment and that's far more important than a 50:50 distribution

That Tesla is already near the limits of what modern tires can take, hence it accelerates almost as hard as it stops. If they were to go even further beyond, they'd need even bigger, stickier tires.

I wish my favorite brand would get their shit together and build a proper 911 competitor. I know they can do it but they just won't.
This is coming from a die hard BMW fanboy.
I have high hopes for the upcoming BMW CSL models.

BMW could really use a good kick in the pants. M cars were supposed to be fast, sporty, tracky worthy cars first and foremost. Now they're just trying to make them bloated with tech gimmicks to compare with AMG.

I'm hoping the Koreans can pull a Lexus and shake up the luxury market, because even Lexus has gotten complacent.

>BMW could really use a good kick in the pants
Kinda thought the Camaro shoved its boot pretty far inside BMW's rectal cavity.

The Camaro is not a direct competitor to any BMW, even some reviewers like to compare them.
Audi and Benz have come so close to BMW M it's embarrassing for a BMW fanboy like me.
BMW M3 and M5 used to be untouchable.
I just want BMW to step their game up and go into higher sports car territory like the 911 GT3 or AMG GT R

On the performance aspect they certainly did, but no one in their right mind things Chevy compares to BMW. It doesn't matter if they offered 1:1 identical models, the Chevy emblem is still a blight, and the BMW emblem is still a status symbol.
Chevy isn't a high end brand, and they're never going to be regarded as one. BMW is a high end brand, even if you're looking at the lowly 3 series.

The only competition BMW faces directly is going to come from Mercedes. At the end of the day people in the market for a high end sporty luxury car care if a Mustang or Camaro is faster. Lexus certainly could compete here, but it doesn't seem they have any desire to. It'll take something really disruptive to change things up.

>The Camaro is not a direct competitor to any BMW
Yea, kinda my point. all the more embarrassing that they were not only compared but in some cases Camaro came out favorable against the BMW in head to heads.

the Camaro is favorable because it's so cheap and offers good performance for the money.
German cars have never had good price/performance and apparently american automakers are finally figuring out how to build a well handling pony car it would almost make German sports cars pointless if it wasn't for their interiors, design, overall luxury, refinement and brand recognition

It all depends on when you need balanced grip the most. If it's on corner entry, then you want a rearward bias because that gives you 50/50 distribution after you include the effects of braking. That's one reason mid-engined cars work well (but mostly it's because they have a lower polar moment of inertia).

The P100D Model S is on 265 R 245 F Pilot Super Sports and weighs 5000 lbs, hardly going to the well for tire choice. We haven't seen anywhere near the limits of what an EV can do yet. Traction control on an ICE car is a rube goldberg device (dragging brakes, cutting timing, slipping clutches, all through an uneven torque delivery/shifting) vs what you can do with electric motors.

I don't have a 911 but I can tell you that having a full tank of gas in my Boxster actually does help front end grip on a track. I can only imagine that the effect is more pronounced on a 911

It can also be launched like 50+ times in a row without overheating or going into limp mode. What other car can claim to do anywhere close to that?
youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

What happens when a car mechanically can stay planted and sustain 2 Gs in a turn? What happens when courses that have turn radii designed for cars to hit 60mph at apex are bombed by something going 100mph?

Anything significantly faster than the current crop of super/hyper cars today might as well have wings.