Physical gold and silver

is now a good time to buy a little physical gold & silver?

i have a bit of money laying around (not enough to really invest) and it seems like a safe hedge against a crash that might or might not be coming soon.

Other urls found in this thread:

zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-09/grant-williams-death-petrodollar-and-what-comes-after
youtube.com/watch?v=LqofXgLAI04
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BjMUd391c
cnbc.com/2017/02/09/germany-brings-its-gold-stash-home-sooner-than-planned.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're kind of high right now. Unless you're hedging against the end of the financial world as we know it happening within the next few months, I'd wait and see where the price goes.

I started buying silver at ~$16.60USD/ozt, then it dipped into ~$15, then ~$14, then ~$13, and I bought a boat-load at $14 and $13. I was tempted to sell when it went to $20+ a few months back but I didn't, and now that it's on the up-trend again I'm getting anxious.

Wait for next fed interest rate hike, and if corporations like the trump tax plan.

Wait until Trump is done deporting illegals and lowering taxes, gold price will drop as market confidence rises.

Trump has hinted at restoring the gold standard of currency. This would send the price of gold flying right?

how much do you hold? i have been collecting coins for a while and already have a little amount of silver, but i wanted maybe 10 10oz bars or something to have as a reserve, or is the news and youtube making me paranoid?

shiney self bump

What is the difference from buying physical gold and buying the stock?

If the stock collapses, then what the fuck do you have? Gold in my pocket will be here for me to pass to my kids.

Wait isn't the stock price the same as the physical value for gold?

no. youre buying into a gold TRUST you arnt buying stock in gold. there is a lot of reasons those suck.

I see. Is it atleast a good hedge if the stock market crashes?

no. if the market crashes they wont ever pay you out gold or anything. you are in no way entitled to any amount of physical gold by buying those

remember what happened to jfk

dunno i'm about to sell all of them.
they have been a huge disappointment for the past 5 years. i should have bought stocks but who could forsee the qe and it going straight into the stock market?

Same user, just using my tablet today.

I have about 350ozt in silver bullion (bars, coins, and rounds), a coin box full of US silver coins, and several Silver Certificates.

I keep coming across articles saying now is the time to buy silver. Maybe that should tell you not to but you know. they could be right.

A lot of the people who buy gold are buying it because they think the world as we know it is going to end in a complete collapse mad max scenario, in that case having the digital stock won't be worth anything, only physical will

If you are just trying to profit by trading gold/silver like a stock, then buy the stock.

That's physically impossible. Current M0 amount is equal to about $3,600,000,000,000. There has only ever been $8,200,000,000,000 worth of gold mined out the Earth in all of history. How much of that do you think the US has in reserves? I'll give you a hint, not $3.6tn.

When you see commercials on TV telling you to buy Gold and Silver...

DONT buy gold and silver. Either buy it when it is super low, or buy it when it starts bubbling/heading into a serious uptrend, don't be greedy and sell it with a profit

This was my collection as of Jan 2016 - I've since purchased more but haven't taken any recent pictures. Pictured is a bit over 270ozt in silver.

He never said that, he said he prefered gold standard, not that returning to gold standard was his political objective.

There's no coming back at all. That's imposible.

Gold fell nearly 30% in the last 5 years.
Calling it "safe" in any context is retarded.

zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-09/grant-williams-death-petrodollar-and-what-comes-after

Worth a read for new friends

Good read, thanks.

what will this mean for the XAU/EUR?
even if the usd goes to hell... how much gold will go up if the author is right?

youtube.com/watch?v=LqofXgLAI04

0:39

Is it possible to go directly to a refinery and buy cheaper gold there legally?

What's the point? Most retailers rarely sell very much over the spot price.

only if you are a licensed precious metal dealer and buy in bulk.

for normal people they only sell numismatics way over spot huge huge premiums.

A refiner is closer to my home than a retailer, but you have to do an interview before you start buying and they don't reveal the prices to people who aren't clients.

A lot of mints have their own refineries. For example - Elemental Mint has it's own refinery, mint, and retail website but other sites have lower premiums. Not to mention that if you're buying from a refinery that has no retail ties the regulations in place prevent you from buying their products unless you're a retailer with a registered business, as said.

Your best bet for cheap metals is to do your research and start searching at local Estate Sales (NOT Yard/Garage sales). Lots of family members of those that have passed have no knowledge of the metals market and just sell off their silver coins and gold jewelry in order to make a quick buck. However you likely won't run into .9999 pure products, and a lot of what you find will be plated instead of solid. You could also try ebay but you run a greater risk of being scammed.

Why not just buy bars and coins online retail?

You can do that, sure - I was just replying to asking if it's possible to go to a refinery to get cheaper metals, which turned the conversation towards wholesale buying and bargain hunting.

If you want to buy retail online you'll have access to pure products, new designs, and low markups and premiums, and incredibly low risk of being scammed.

I buy mine from online retailers like Provident Metals, APMEX, and JM Bullion. I also keep my eyes out at Estate Sales but it's definitly not my primary method of purchasing metals.

Gold is constant, so don't think about it in terms of how much you will make, think of it as a storage of wealth.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BjMUd391c

Video is worth a watch if you're a new friend

cnbc.com/2017/02/09/germany-brings-its-gold-stash-home-sooner-than-planned.html

I would be skeptical of the Euro in the long term due to upcoming political uncertainty in the Netherlands, France, Italy (Italian banks mostly), and the reemergence of a Greek crisis. Pay attention to spreads between German Bunds and French bonds. In addition, the current ECB monetary stance doesn't bode well for Euro strength. The article above also suggests Germany is too becoming skeptical of the Euro.

that's not the same as "would be hard to do, but awsome" is not the same as "I'll try, would be hard to do, but awsome"

it's not the same

... what if you valued it not to a 1:1 ratio?

If it was fixed to the gold in reserve (whatever that is), you just make it a $20,000 : troy ounce or whatever it is until it fits.

they would never go for that without confiscating all gold first. it would make a few lunatics insanely rich.

we will know we are returning to god standard if bullion confiscation becomes a thing. and the worst thing is even if you bury it you won't be able to sell it until we are off the gold standard again..

>Germany is too becoming skeptical of the Euro
they are the sole reason anyone is skeptical of the euro. they use the other countries to dilute their productivity and keep their "national currency" weak to make better exports. if they left the euro the mark would shoot through the roof and that would fuck their export and their entire economic progress in turn.

>physical gold
Can you buy spiritual gold?

I wish more people thought like you. I have a small gold buying business and would love to start refining it myself and selling .999 bars to investors and the like, even for spot price. But nobody wants to buy pure gold if it doesn't have a fancy brand on it even though I can guarantee the quality.

I'd buy if legit, but serialization is a must.

Related question:

I have about 190 ozt of silver bullion that I want to sell. Where do I sell it? eBay seems good, but even though I've had an eBay account for years I've never sold anything and therefore have no seller reputation. I'm not sure that I'd be able to sell silver, which apparently has problems with counterfeiting, without a lot of positive feedback.

Sell at a jewelry store?
Maybe even Craigslist/public auction?

yes but better to mine it your self , our tech lvl is about to meta up.
earth is about to need 8000% more gold to build space ships with.

He's talked about it at other times too

>Question: “Can you envision a scenario that this country ever goes back to a gold standard?”

>Trump: “In some ways, I like the gold standard and there is something very nice about it but you have to go back at the right time... We used to have a very solid country because it was based on a gold standard for it. We do not have that anymore. There is something very nice about the concept of that. It would be very hard to do at this point and one of the problems is we do not have the gold. Other places have the gold."

So he's saying "let's make our country riches again and then we'll talk seriously about it".

Nice one!

I'm not selling silver atm..

I'm still holding silver but I got most of mine through refining thus for near nothing. There arent any giant new deposits being found either.

Sure! But most refiners including myself try to sell for a bit over spot price.
Not always possible though

Ebay sucks! 100% spot on about estate sales. Something to keep in mind buYong gold jewelry is that usually there are other precious metals alloyed in like silver.
Refiners will pay you scrap for just the gold..

how long do you think it's going to take to fix up this funny money mess?

the hole is so deep

>Gold is constant, so don't think about it in terms of how much you will make, think of it as a storage of wealth.
that would only be true if you could buy anything with gold.

God no, you missed the year start dip dummy

See this? Copy it down and make a note to buy next time it drops

Is it smart to buy stock in Gold, or is it better to buy the physical mineral? I have money in the SPDR Gold fund and have been looking at JNUG. I would wait for a dip in the market, though I want to make sure that it's viable.

physical gold is only better in a collapsing market as an inflation proof hedge for some of your wealth.
gold etf will serve you better for trading like buying low selling high.

Thanks. I'm new in to investing so I unwisely bought indexes for the S&P500 and gold at the same time. As a hedge it's nice, and I'll be smarter from henceforth. I plan on waiting for silver to dip in price so that I can buy physical bars to stash away.

my only problem with buying a lot of gold and silver is they can still get lower in the coming years. 10-20% easily maybe more on silver.

it's very unlikely gold will lose value over time and sadly when there are great opportunities selling gold are the times you need it as a safe have the most. so the entire thing about metals is problematic.

I do custom installations (home theater, security, smart homes) and one of our wealthier clients bought his daughter a horse for Christmas. Paid for it in gold.

I guess I'll just have faith.