I need to write a paper on why self driving cars are bad

I need to write a paper on why self driving cars are bad

What are some points / articles

I don't know a lot about this subject

Honestly, they're not. The average driver in many countries is a dipstick. Can you change it to comparing pros and cons?

No fun

They will lead to the extermination of billions of people.

Mechanical errors can and will occur. It can happen to any car but with no steering wheel (future self driving cars) or occupant ready at the steering wheel, the risk of an accident is very high.

Then you have the risk of hacking. If everyone had a self driving car and a foreign enemy found a way to exploit holes in the software they could kill millions of people almost instantly by disabling the distance / speed keeping systems.

They would also put cab drivers out of business. Yeah, cabs drivers suck but that's a quarter of a million people in the US that would be left jobless if cars could just be summoned on command with no driver. Not to mention the 650,000 bus drivers that would be out of work.

Another point could be, learning to drive and getting licensed is a great point of responsibility in the lives of adolescents. On the road is one place where they have to learn to take shit seriously or they'll get killed.

>hacking
been watching too many shitty news stories, you can't get this to happen without having physical access and you could do the same to any other car with that

>no shitty people with shitty non-jobs to work
luddites have been saying this for the past 200 years and every time just 20 years after all the shitty jobs are gone nobody ever looks back and says they want them

>mechanical errors
so every other car before this point has not ever had trouble

If you can turn the self driving part off to have fun, there's really nothing besides repeating FUD left

To be fair, self driving cars would work better if they could talk to each other, but that would leave them open to dummy signals fucking with them. Imagine every car taking off at once when the light turns green. Imagine intersections where there are no stop lights or signs, the cars just space themselves accordingly. But such a world would mean no manually driven cars.

>can't happen without physical access
Sure, not today. But what about 50 years from now? 100 years? Technology advances at an exponential rate. Things that people thought were impossible 30 years ago are commonplace today.

>Shitty jobs gone
Still, 1 million unemployed people flooding the job market is nothing to shake a stick at.

>every other car before this point has not had trouble
Not what I said at all. They have had trouble but with a driver at the wheel, most of the time when something goes wrong they are able to prevent death or serious injury. With no one at the wheel to take over, the chance of an accident in the event of a mechanical failure is high.

I was assigned the position usually I'd stay out of it

I'd like to avoid pure passion stuff like no fun or satisfaction

But its a very good reason.

If you turn everything into statistics, self-driving cars are literally the best thing you can do to modern society.

Its even good for car enthusiasts because slow niggers will stay in the slow lane if the cars drive themselves.

There literally isn't a single downside until the point where they become mandatory, because this isn't about what's good for society. This is about what makes life worth living for the individual. Personal freedom is dying. On a daily basis freedoms are taken from us and at some point the privilege to drive will be revoked forever.

Utilitarian arguments always fall flat because they rely too heavily on 'slippery slope' fallacies or on particularly unlikely circumstances. Therefore the best way to argue is on moral grounds; from the position of our ancestors in the classical liberal humanist tradition which puts liberty, agency and self-determination as moral goods in unto themselves. The car, more than any other form of transport, allowed the individual to travel unprecedented distances without any oversight from authority. Giving people the ability to 'vote with their feet' in a real, viable manner. Self-driving (and electric) cars remove this ability both in principle and in practice and are therefore necessarily immoral within this framework. I hope it is self-evident that this is the case in theory and, in practice, one only needs to look at Tesla's recent 'upgrading' of people in Florida's batteries to understand what could be accomplished in practice.

I haven't fully formulated my thoughts on this matter but I hope that gives you adequate insight into why we must fight, at every turn, to prevent these devices becoming widespread or mandatory.

One of the reasons for them not becoming a reality for many years are the possibility of encounters where the car must either choose to kill the driver or other people. Programmers must first agree on how the car should behave in these ethical dillema situations, which is likely not going to happen for a long time.

For example, say you're driving at 60 mph and all of a sudden a semi loses control ahead of you and a crash is imminent. The only way to avoid the crash is to mount the sidewalk and run over an old man. What should the car be programmed to do? Should the car kill the old man in this situation, but kill the driver instead of 10 schoolchildren were on the sidewalk instead? Should the car switch to manual control in this event so the human can make the desicion? These are incredibly unlikely events , but they must still be considered and a conclusion reached.

>a semi loses control ahead of you and a crash is imminent

If the semi is self-diving it won't lose control :^)

>at some point the privilege to drive will be revoked forever.

*In public

Not on private land.

The privilege of private land has been revoked just about everywhere already.

lol stfu u fuckiin nerd

listen op they are not dangerous you will probably get extra points for going against the narrrrative

Don't they basically shit the bed in construction zones?
If so they'd be downright useless where I live.

OP asked for reasons why they're bad. I was giving him reasons, cunt. This isn't a discussion.

I am a computer vision engineer at a smaller software vendor. I mostly do CV and guided machine learning day to day.

"Unstructured navigation" is still the major hurdle in autonomous driving. Just empty parking lots in general are problems. Night time and rain driving is tough as well.

People should understand that the problem being solved right now is as hard is the problem is ever going to be. It will get MUCH easier.

Right now, the cars don't talk to each other. They're relying on radar, lidar, CV etc. to gain an understanding of their surroundings. It gets MUCH easier when they all have an inter-car communications standard. Vehicle to vehicle collisions will pretty much end when when all vehicles are communicating with each other. So will traffic. It will not exist. All braking and accelerating will be coordinated. No "snake" effect due to human reaction time.

Road signs are also designed for humans right now. The road sign classifiers are pretty good, but only with lots of human help (Google captcha and other arduous guided learning). Imagine how much better stuff will get when the road signs are designed for computers? Stop signs will be barcodes.

For construction zones, you would basically have to be much more coordinated. Just walking out there with a signaler and some traffic cones won't work. You will need to provide a new traffic pattern to the network.

It's a tough problem that won't be fully solved until about 2050. It will take a lot of painstakingly slow changes. The absurd 2025 "fully autonomous" projections are just that -- absurd. It will take a major paradigm shift in traffic planning AND lots of inter-cooperation between competitors for it to work fully. Until then, you will need an alert driver ready to take over.

The government takes people land from them all the time. All they need to do is bullshit some story about how your land is right in the migrational path of some endangered frog, and poof bye bye land. Firth they'll offer money, and if you refuse then comes the SWAT to forcibly remove you. Land "ownership" in America is a fucking joke unfortunately.

The manual operation of motor vehicles will eventually be restricted to race tracks only.

Examples of autonomous driving failures in newer cars that I have driven (2012 Mercedes, 2018 VW, 2018 Honda):

>With lane guidance on during city driving, the system is constantly making little unnecessary and sometimes jarring corrections. As a driver, you typically only expect rapid steering wheel feedback when you do something like hit a pothole. Feeling it seemingly randomly in the city is scary. I have lane assist off when I'm not on the highway
>On the highway, sometimes lanes split. At these forks, it is improper to signal if you are continuing in one of the two splits of your lane. However, the lane guidance system will often try to keep you left when you want to go right (with no lane change), or vice versa. Fighting the steering system when you are doing nothing wrong, again, is a terrible feeling
>CV can generally see further than the radar/lider systems. This can cause conflict. A real world example was when I was driving on a 1 lane road. There as a semi-truck pulled over ahead on the right side, partially in the main driving lane. The correct maneuver was to just veer slightly left, leaving the lane with your left tires, so avoid the partial overlap collision on the right side with the pulled over truck. The lane guidance system tried to fight me on leaving the lane until the front radar system picked up the obstacle. Terrifying, especially when driving a car with such a system for the first time. This was in the 2012 Mercedes, so a slightly dated system. But still -- scary.

They're far from perfect. However, on highway with adaptive cruise and no lane splits, they really make driving much more safe. I LOVE cruising in my new car with ACC and lane guidance on. Takes the stress out of highway driving.

Additional Avenue of governments or large corporations having even more control over your life. Consumerisms dismal end result. Total inability to explore your area in your car. Any businesses or even streets that aren't on google maps will effectively cease to exist, and then literally cease to exist. Google or some other information broker decides exactly where your car goes and how it gets there, just using you as a willing intermediary, until google decides it wants to take you or others for a ride to someplace only it knows. Tons of older cars are made illegal to use preventing the poor from owning their transportation. Cars are now wholly unable to escape the police if they decide to shoot you just cause you're black.

Basically, too much power taken from your hands and given to people who already have too much.

>Cars are now wholly unable to escape the police if they decide to shoot you just cause you're black.

back to >>>/reddit/

>what if it did
What if it didn't? Cool argument in the future where you can't cite anything. What if they weren't hackable in 50, 100, 500 years?

>things that people thought were impossible 30 years ago are possible today
Like self driving cars.

>millions of shit jobs gone
We do this every decade and we've been fine. Fuck driving, how about all of the jobs software has replaced. I bet it's more than 10 million a year.

Keep the ability to turn it off and have fun on a track or out in the middle of nowhere. Nobody wants to make the same commutes every day.

retard he said he was assigned the position
he is supposed to write from that view

>hurr durr do the opposite of what you were told
>you will get extra points

Let me help OP write the first paragraph. Should go something like this:
>I'm not accustomed to being a neo-luddite, I probably don't even know what the term means. I'm just a scared little piece of shit unwilling to step 5 feet out of my comfort zone. See, back in my day, 15 years ago, which is basically a century, cars didn't drive themselves. Just like my grandma fought PCs in the 80s, I'm going to fight this "modern" shit now. My great great grandfather Ned fought against mills because looking back, losing that shitty 10 cents an hour job making clothes fucking ruined us. Soooo basically cars are tracking devices maaaaan I won't open the hood to show you where it is because I suck ass

I don't think that particular thing is actually going to be that big a problem, but given that banning driving is going to be a real political platform, its important to reach out to as many voters as possible to get them on your side of the issue, including the feelsy morons.

OP, also be sure to allow for a compromise that allows for regulations that require automatic braking, acceleration, and steering to avoid collisions that only temporarily remove control from you and require no internet connection to properly use the car. Then you have, ideally, all the safety and all the involvement in actual driving.

Having 20 tons of vehicle traveling 75mph on a imperfect surface surrounded by double digit i.q driving city folk controlled by a flashing box with lights that dont know the diference from v.r. Or reality

Insert microsoft Sam voice "ohh shit" into self driving program

Self-determination altered

Absence of freedom

Reliance on technology

Increased maintenance costs and time

Dependent on artificial intelligence to make life or death choices

Drastically altering the infrastructure of our roads and cities and the increased costs in future planning of buildings to accomodate our changing transportation modality