Under what circumstances is buying a Mazda Rx8 not a terrible idea?

Under what circumstances is buying a Mazda Rx8 not a terrible idea?

when you don't have a gf/wife/kids
if you have a garage

>The car is not from the first couple of years
>Have a DD
>Have enough tools/knowledge/space to repair it
>Have enough time to do all this shit

If your willing to keep up maintanence and repairs go for it, have heard their dope unique cars. See a handful here all the time

/thread

/thread.

neat

When it is a dedicated weekend machine/track only race car.

If its an automatic variant but they're a lot rarer than manual

>literally doesnt even rev as high
>good idea

>automatic RX-8
>good

>advocating for an automatic sports car

Im saying its a terrible idea

Well the OP is asking when it ISNT a a terrible idea

>must offer car in automatic
>make a fucking maze of transmission to fuck the idiots who buy it
>looks god-awful to boot
>still japanese so at least have the decency to have a gear indicator on dash unlike goddamn ford

get em mazda

It's not a terrible idea if:

You have unlimited funds.
Or
You have unlimited time to play around.

>reading comprehension

>that is a maze of a transmission

u wot m8

Thing I want to do most in automatic transmission:

>go from park to drive
>a line being the shortest distance between two points, it would stand to reason that a straight lines the best way to achieve this desired outcome.
>have a gear indicator to ensure i don't put it into neutral accidentally

Things that are completely unnecessary in automatic transmission

>horizontal motion to the right
>horizontal motion to the left
>another goddamn horizontal motion to the left
>feel like I am playing labyrinth just to pull out of my garage in my suburban neighborhood to go to my mid-level management job at an IT firm and wonder why I did not just learn to drive a stick and get some rogain instead of buying an an automatic sports car for my premature mid-life crisis.

To add to this the automatic RX8 actually had a slightly different engine too. The seals are WAY shittier. Failure rate 5x the standard transmission model cars.

If you bought an automatic rx8 instead of learning to drive a standard, you clearly don't have the wherewithal to maintain it properly anyway. It's going to crap out on you at 40k because you really only used it as a grocery getter

> doesnt rev high has less power, automatic.

> Good

I guess I don't really care because I drive stick anyway so I'm used to working with the transmission. A bit of extra movement in an automatic doesn't seem like a big deal. Especially since you only touch the shifter a few times while driving.

When you have an LS in your garage on an engine stand waiting.

wish there was a really good engine swap option for this car since you can pick them up for so cheap

The point is it is a gimmick. It tries to make the automatic less "boring," when really all it does it get in the way. When you buy a manual, you sign up for moving the shifter around. An automatic is supposed to be a simple creature. At first they tried the maze, then they started putting boots on autos. Let the automatic be what it is.

It's akin to the cars that have a CVT that "shifts" because people didn't like the continuous power band.

>engine swapping a car literally defined by its engine

welcome to Veeky Forums

My dad had one. I was quite young at the time, but it was pretty cool.

I have no idea whether it caused him any maintenance problems. I don't ever remember anything like that, but like I say, I was a kid. He had it for at least a couple years, maybe a bit more.

Sleep tight brapper, may your magic dorito spin forever.

Sleep tight brapper

Only if you don't want to bite the bullet on bad fuel economy. Later models from 09 onward are more reliable.

Sleep tight brapper

Sleep tight brapper

If you plan on fixing it.

Under the circumstances that you know how to change oil and not limiter bash a cold engine

>fixing
>engine is as car over front axle as could be
Lmao

Sleep tight brapper

Under what circumstances is buying Mazda RX-8 not a terrible idea?

>defined by it's engine

>rx8

>the rx8 engine is fucking garbage
>???

What if I want the god tier chassis, suspension and brakes of RX-8 but not the special snowflake engine that has terribad fuel- and oil economy not to mention requiring constant maintenance?

I had a bridgeported rx8 and while it was fun your time and money are better spent elsewhere

>If you want all the hassle,maintenance and issues with rotary engines
>while also wanting to not have one of the much cooler rotary powered cars.

Sleep tight brapper

If you have a lot of disposable income and hate money.

Why does it need a garage?

whats wrong with the first two year models?

but what if I want a modern car

But RX-8s are so cheap
Doesn't that offset the price of rebuilds and oil?

Sleep tight brapper bless my rx8

do more research before you think about rotarys. it's nothing like owning a regular car.

24 hours du Lemons

When you don't have the time or money to rebuild your engine and replace seals every 20k miles. (That being said I think the RX8 is one of Mazda's best cars behind the RX7 and the Miata NA)

Im not finding any info on why it has to be garaged

Oh fuck well I made a mistake. I made a reliability point, but if the point is "ISNT" what I said makes no sense

But what if I do? Current HS senior with shittons of time on my hands and desire to own a rotary.
>inb4 underage & b&d
I'm a brainlet who got held back twice

Research more user
Lemme give you a hint
Pre 09 models are shit

>good looking car not much fault but it's engine
>Not even the best rotary car
>why aren't you keeping the most shitty aspect of the car user?

So 09 and 10 models are ok?

Pretty much but I urge you to learn why

please tell me then i can research further

user just Google "rx-8 series 2"

when you put a 13B-REW init
or if you wan passengers and a tax dodge

>RX8
>requiring constant maintenence

I premix at every fillup and check/change my oil frequently. I try to redline it at least once a drive and I'm always sure to let it warm up properly.

That's literally it aside from yearly preventative maintenence. If this is what Veeky Forums considers "constant maintenence", I'm truly dissapointed.

Also, it is my DD

>last rotary car ever produced (as of yet)
>lol nah the engine sux its too much work id rather have a sweet v8 bro

Neck yourself and get the fuck off this board, heathen.

>be Veeky Forums
>always describe how shit the RX8 is
>despite this, there is almost constantly a thread dedicated to the car

We /tsundere/ now?

>triangle anime mouth
Yep you definitely own a rx-8

No. The 2004 and 2005 models had a 4-port engine instead a 6-port, but after that it was the same engine.

The AT models' ECU limits RPMs to 7500 instead of 9000, but that's because their torque converter can't really handle it.

>your time and money are better spent elsewhere

Like slamming old ass BMWs and Lexi?

it's the same with the toyobooru

You can get comparable cars for the same price range and not have to piss money away on rebuilds and oil

any recommendations?

sleep tight brapper

when it's LS swapped

iirc, it's only the autos that are all 4 ports, manuals with a stick are all 6 port

no, like ls swapping it to get rid of the shit tier dorito

>dorito
>shit tier
FUCKING NORMIES GET OF MY BOARD BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

I dont know shit about cars to start off with
But is a 2004 rx8 with 133000 miles on it worth $2300?
How well do rotary engines keep up with high mileage
Would i end up spending more money than the cars worth to keep it up
This is just going to be a play car not a DD

Rotaries need rebuilds fairly often, they wear out their apex seals (the tips of the dorito) quickly. Fortunately, they're pretty straightforward to rebuild. The car is definitely worth it, mostly just because of the uniqueness of the rotary.

Im not looking for a project im looking for a play car that i dont want to work on
I want a drift car but this rx8 is the best looking thing for my price range right now
Would it be worth buying this now or waiting for aomwthing better to pop up

>don't want to work on

Go buy a miata, high mileage doritos are not for you.

If you're looking for a car that you can beat on without any wrenching, the rx8 is not for you. The whole point of the rx8 is that it's quick and fun, at the expense of requiring a little more maintenance. If you just want something to beat on pick up an older GM vehicle off craigslist for cheap and beat it till it dies. RX8s are fun, but if you don't want to do any work on your vehicle you're gonna have a bad time.

This

>drift car

I remember when I was 16

>But is a 2004 rx8 with 133000 miles on it worth $2300?
depends, that's cheaper then most. depends on condition and if the owner actually knew how to take care of it properly.

>How well do rotary engines keep up with high mileage
They can do fine if you know how to maintain them and run them properly.

>Would i end up spending more money than the cars worth to keep it up
I personally don't know. but they require more common maintenance

>This is just going to be a play car not a DD
The thing about rotaries is it's recommended to drive them or rev them once a day. they aren't built to sit for weeks in a garage.

I don't know too much about rotaries but you can easily find resources online about this. This is just stuff I've picked up.

Yeah. That's what I was referring to. The 2004/2005 AT models are the ones with the 4-port engines. The later AT models had the same 6-port engine that the MT models used.

ah gotcha

the reason it goes horizontal left and right is for
>a gear indicator to ensure i don't put it into neutral accidentally
otherwise I suppose that's why some cars have a dial shifter on the dash

but the car has a gear indicator as well. which renders the whole maze utterly useless

Sleep tight brapper. Idemitsu premix, plz. Im out and using sucky TCW3 for the moment. :(

i love my brapper but it's not the best rotary and the looming maintenance doesn't really give you peace of mind, especially if you're DDing it. still, fucking love this memecar.

>pre 06 models are shit

FTFY, revised motors started in 06 not 09.

>a car literally defined by its engine

they're $5k shitboxes BECAUSE of its engine you absolute retard

My bad
Still told OP to look up series 2 though so that should be enough

Reminder

literally this.

And you're willing to pay for a rebuild every 200k (it's wayy cheaper if you take it out before it assplodes)

I'm considering buying one as a project car. There are plenty for sale and some were recently rebuilt too. If it looks decent and runs and drives with a manual for $2500 it seems like a good deal