Is there anyone who works with LNG or maritime industry?

Is there anyone who works with LNG or maritime industry?

Engineer on oil tankers here, ask me anything

Hey, would you like to change contacts?

No

well.. okay. Were are you based?

US

Huston maybe? For what company are you working?

Prefer not to say, but people in the maritime/oil industry live all across the country, company will fly you to the ship/rig. I am from a coastal city.

I work for a standard big oil company

I know, im working with shipowners and shipbuilders and organizing summit. Also working with epc contractors and end users.

Neat..Did you have any questions?

maybe you or someone from your company would like to go to the summit? I could show you the delegate list and you can tell me if you could any value from the event.

But I have to work

then pass the information for your boss. :) so not interested and do not want to change contact?

My boss is halfway around the world

So no, unfortunately

Just lol at this entire thread.

Give me his name, I will contact him myself.

>I want to start a tech company, get me Steve Jobs on the phone

this is so funny hahahh

so noone is interested?

this thread is just two people shit posting back and forth

You type like a pajeet who works at a corner-store bodega in the hood. Or an autistic child who thinks people will give out private information on the internet.

I'm going to a maritime academy in the US for the 3rd engineering license, have you enjoyed your career? I think I'm making the right choice but I don't intern commercially until the fall. Any general advice for a cadet? Something you wish you knew?

nah, im just a girl trying to flirt with engineers

That's how I started also.

Really enjoying my career. Get to travel a lot, I enjoy the work, and obviously the pay is great. You're right, you won't really know until you do your commercial cadet ship, but also don't let that be what you base your decision off of, ships can vary a lot.

As far as advice as a cadet, be useful more than anything, and don't be in the way if you're not. Learn what you can, specifically what the 3rd does, and have fun.

Feel free to ask more

Both me, I don't know why ID changed

Do you need seatime experience for a MMC from the Coast Guard? (Seeking entry level or ordinary seaman position.) I've done tons of research and its still unclear...

Woops, I meant:
Is me.

No, you don't. The OS/Wiper MMC is the first one you receive. You will need a TWIC though.

Thank you very much for the info. As an aside, the Sealift Command isn't accepting any new applications at the moment due to the federal hiring freeze. Spoke to a recruiter a few days ago.

Hm interesting, I thought it didn't apply to military/Did jobs involved with the military. You could check out Seafarers International Union as an alternate path to go down. Or just wait it out, from what I've heard MSC is almost always hiring.

DoD jobs*

What's the amount where you can start investing? $10000? Just $1000?

Yeah its bizarre because I read contradictory information online (Mariners are actually short staffed and Sealift command is exempt from the freeze.) A guy over in /meg/ said that it wasn't a blanket exemption so there are still some gears in the machine that are stalled. I'll look into the union.

Hows life aboard a vessell?

What is meg?

I enjoy working in the maritime industry, and a lot of the time life aboard a vessel is what you make it.

Food can vary, there's a handful of weirdos and assholes too. But for the most part it's great being on the water. It's always felt like you minimize your responsibilities/problems/stressors when you're out at sea. Such few things to really worry about.

I work at one of the divisions under AP Moller.

so nobody wants to chat with me????

/meg/ is the Military Enlistment General threads on /k/. The Merchant Marines don't get a lot of chatter but it was brought up recently and I picked a Mariner's brain. I'm actually comparing a Navy enlistment VS Sealift command right now. CIVMAR's make more money, much moreso if you consider advancement opportunities (and the overtime.) The other obvious benefit is that you don't have to sign a 5 year contract. Not sure how to feel about the 120 days on, 30 days off schedule. Guess it's just something you need to experience.

Thanks user!

Do yours or many companies you know offer 1:1 vacation time? I'd like to not alienate my girlfriend.

Also are you union or signed on with company? I'm interested in living in the mountains of Colorado so I'd be away from the union halls but I imagine I could still go union if if wanted.

i do and I know what you want to know.

The guys at the Academy say MSC is a great start to a sailing career because they pay well, and you will advance quickly. But to get out before it burns you out because they'll work you 8+ months a year

From what I've heard it's 120 on / 60 off.

MEBA is 90% paid time off for 3rd engineers (IE 27 days paid leave for every 30 days on), then 1:1 for 2nds and up.

AMO is something similar I believe.

Jesus fuck do not enlist in the Navy if you want to sail. If you think 120 on is bad, some of my co-workers are ex Navy and did 8+ months on a ship in one tour.

Part of whay MSC does is refuel/resupply Navy ships, so that the Navy ships don't need to go into port and can stay at sea longer. I've heard of Navy ships getting no port time in over 3 months

Also, yes you can go Union still, just expect to pay for some hotel while you're there. Finding something cheap isnt bad. Another plus side of MEBA (I don't know is about AMO) is that after you paid time off is done, you don't have to go back, you can take as much unpaid time off as you want.

I sail as an engineer for MSC, the money is too good to pass on.

Oh okay, that's great to know. Speaking of MEBA I plan on heading out to their cadet school for their free summer class, I've heard great things.

What are your sailing shifts like? I've heard MSC works you most of the year. I would like to do around 60 on / 60 off, I don't know how common it is to only sail half the year though.

Going to the Calhoon school is a great idea, I wish I had done it when I was in school.

Sailing half the year is basically the standard in the unions. Typical MSC schedule is 4 months on, 2 months off, however you can stay on the ships longer if you'd like. I have been on my current ship for about 7 months, port schedule has been nice, and money are great, so I haven't felt the need to leave yet.

Is great*