Transmission lever for the 918 spyder

>transmission lever for the 918 spyder

why can't all cars have this? its better than a big ole knob in the middle of the car.

Because gripping the big ole knob and thrusting it around is a satisfying feeling that a push-button / switch transmission will never capture

i'd guess that people like big, tactile things when it comes to transmissions. same reason people like levers in the middle of cars like this one

If you want to thrust a knob around get a manual....

Apparently the new Alpine will have a DCT with transmission buttons.

Most automakers in the mainstream still want to have something visually reminiscent of a manual shifter for their automatics.
A lot of supercars only have buttons for reverse.

>trusting renault with electronics
user pls, don't be naive

>fake manuals

Dude
Just control everything through the screen
Screens are the future

Because buttons can't engage neutral without power. Traditional automatic shifters have a neutral override switch.

The autotragic only Alpine is a travesty.

>Wanting to constantly take your hands off of the steering wheel to perform a rudimentary task that can be accomplished 1000x quicker and more efficiently while still offering an engaging driving experience using modern technology

no u

>engaging driving experience.
Manual driving requires co-ordination and attention. You don't see Stacies on their phones while shifting, do you?

fuck the new bmw shifters, feels like a prius column shifter

>big fake knobs

Column or get out faggot

Why not put auto-gear control buttons on the steering wheel then? Why are car manufacturers so lazy.

This

I have the misfortune of renting an autotragic Kia Soul lately, and why is there a huge knob in the middle of the car? Just put it on the steering wheel, it's not like the car delivers any driving sensation anyway so might as well do it the most convenient way.

thanks doug

Has anyone made a reliable DCT yet?

>even the wiper blades are controlled through the touch screen
What a cancerous design

Porsche did in 2009

why does porsche need a guy to crunch numbers in excel for 918 orders before sending them to germany?

Yes, because gripping the big ole knob and thrusting it around is a satisfying feeling that an automatic will never capture.

Over 9000 submenus and button presses to activate the blinkers. This is why Tesla is the laughing stock of people around the world.

transmission is still controlled via buttons on the steering column stalk pictured.

wipers have a stalk too.

there are several buttons and scroll wheels on the steering wheel that can be programmed to do anything you want.

Screens are stupid. I hope this trend dies.
Why make things more complex?

BUT SCREENS ARE SIMPLER
EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE

Those fingerprints on the screen are fucking disgusting.

And by simpler you mean lazy. Everything in one place and be forced to navigate thru endless menus, sure lets put climate control on the screen so I have to take my view out of the road!

screens make things simpler.

unless you want to go back to 1990s' level equipment. You need touch screens to keep the interior from turning into a airliner cockpit.

>sure lets put climate control on the screen so I have to take my view out of the road!
That's why AutoPilot exists. Automatically gets activated when you touch the screen.

I, for one, actually enjoy driving.

all the basics are always present on the screen.

You can have nice button layouts or at least keep essential stuff out of the screen.
Plus screens are dated, we'll look back in 5 years to today's cars and think, what the fuck were we thinking.

Look at a car from the late 00's those minuscule screens with shitty satnavs.
I want my satnav to be something on my phone that I can constantly update, and until cars realize that we need a standarized car OS this shit wont fly.

But I want to be the one driving, not a fucking computer.

They need to examine if you were worthy.

As in: spend a shitload on Porsches in the past.

A screen is flat, buttons are tactile and easer to recognize without looking, that's why I dislike essentials on screens.

>airliner cockpit

do want

Tesla OS/software gets updated all the time.

a lot of new cars with high end infotainment systems have systems to sync with your smartphone and show a simplified smartphone screen on the car screen.

>implying you sit in the middle of the car

fite me

DQ250 by VAG. As long as you are on top of the fluid changes its very reliable.

DQ250 blows, though. Not sure about the new 7 speed DCT from them.

DQ200. Fuck. DQ200 blows.

Dope

02M masterrace you fuck

All the relays and gauges in an airliner cockpit serve a purpose though. Since they have to play the role of engineer on the fly (no pun intended) and monitor for any anomalous behavior in any of the systems and be able to perform basic trouble shooting all while keeping the thing aloft.

Your average driver doesn't need a fuel pressure gauges and pump relays and shit.

>Start breaking into Teslas just to smash the touch screen and make the car unusable
I'm sure there's a way to brick the entire car by flashing some software as well. Might even be able to be done wirelessly.

>>not BEING the big ole knob in the middle of the car

come on mate

This might come in handy during some /v/ thread

Hella cool.

am i the only one on Veeky Forums that likes the idea of a touchscreen for all the controls? as long as the UI is intuitive, it makes the whole interior so much more streamlined. something like this, with a screen for the luxury features, would be ideal

Yes, you are.

Give me a screen for navigation and maybe, MAYBE some real in-depth configuration shit that you dive into once, tweak exactly to your liking and never touch again. Buttons or switches for anything that you actually use while driving.

touchscreen works for things like a simple button to select a music track, but for finer controls or things that are critical to the safety/operation of vehicle a knob or switch is far better

like what? cruise control?

Reminder: Chrysler was doing this shit in the 60s

This one could be used for Veeky Forums or a /dbt/ on here

Frankly all the car's controls should be in a big touchscreen right in front of the driver. Even the steering control should be a virtual joystick type device like they use in iPad games. New technology is always better.

kek

Very nice

>lcd screen cracks
>can't drive to the store and buy a new one

cute ufo

The new Yorkers were ugly

>lightning (power?) on
>fuel pumps on
>ign on
>start??

did it start?

(You)

lel one more nail in the coffin

Why not just jerk off your boyfriend instead if you have a hand-fixation?

What do those cannon plugs and ethernet cable g to?

NO

>post yfw we'll never go back to more simple layout designs
desu to hell with all these unnecessary electrical appliances

Those look like they may get stuck down at any moment.

If it's not a manual I prefer the minimalist buttons.

Hell the fact that it doesn't have a park pawl shows me that it is the partrician's choice.

>tfw last Saturday I saw a 2 door 2wd Hilux with five on the tree

go way, Doug

>engaging
my sides

Doesn't really fit the electrical appliances thing since there's a big ol iPad but I'd call this pretty simple

>unless you want to go back to 1990s' level equipment
yes

>airliner cockpit
im ok with this

>phoneposting

I thrust my knob into your mum's mouth every night