Opinion on SC400s? theres a few on my local craigslist and I'm curious if I should spring for it...

Opinion on SC400s? theres a few on my local craigslist and I'm curious if I should spring for it. The guy has maintained it pretty well and recently replaced the timing belt.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1993-lexus-sc400/6321063810.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1999-lexus-sc300/6309075331.html
lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-lexus-sc400-only-117k/6297116685.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

post the link.

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1993-lexus-sc400/6321063810.html here you go

Haha idiot im gonna buy it instead

i have one with 180k
i want to drop the rear subframe and do a 240sx manual swap to it as well as a full battle version suspension upgrade

its a wonderfully comfy 90s car with a powerful v8 that accepts an m90 supercharger with an ECU so simplistic you can add a turbo (or two) to the engine without adding a standalone

its easy to take apart but just remember this:

IF THE NEEDLES ON THE DASH ARNT LIT THERE IS LITERALLY NO FUCKING WAY TO FIX THEM OTHER THAN TO PAY SOME FUCKFACE TO DO IT FOR OVER $200 IF THEY EVEN DO IT ANY MORE

It looks ok. I would go for the nicest paint and interior you could find. The mechanical stuff is the cheapest and easiest to fix.

>the previous owner drifted it, it has a fart can exhaust

OH NO

>IF THE NEEDLES ON THE DASH ARNT LIT THERE IS LITERALLY NO FUCKING WAY TO FIX THEM OTHER THAN TO PAY SOME FUCKFACE TO DO IT FOR OVER $200 IF THEY EVEN DO IT ANY MORE
i s-s-ure h-hope that d-d-doesnt h-happen

it's not that big a deal. that's a cheap repair in the grand scheme of things.

yeah totally, i just needed a car for work and back is all.

i dont think you understand, they stopped making that glorious 17 YEARS AGO

the person who was on the lexus forums who was the only person who could fix and actually cared enough to fix the unlit needle issue probably died 10 years ago

OH YEA not like its a big issue.......PSYC

ITS A MASSIVE ISSUE THAT IS KNOWN TO AFFECT MOST LEXUS MODELS FROM THAT GENERATION

phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1999-lexus-sc300/6309075331.html

this one is better.

I'll plan on taking a look at both of these then, Preferably the SC400 because it's within my budget, but I can stretch it a little further.

but that sc400 has shit paint and would cost a ton to fix properly.

from what I can see they both have shit paint, and the arizona sun eats through black paint like nobodies business, again, i'll check both, and if the paint truly is garbage in person i just won't buy it.

how about this one. yea its in vegas but it looks mint.

lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-lexus-sc400-only-117k/6297116685.html

>lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-lexus-sc400-only-117k/6297116685.html
Oh wow, that does look great. nice color aswell.

the 1991-1997 had a better engine that was more durable

but that one really is nice, its just begging for a 2jz

this is the best one get him down to 3250

>IF THE NEEDLES ON THE DASH ARNT LIT THERE IS LITERALLY NO FUCKING WAY TO FIX THEM OTHER THAN TO PAY SOME FUCKFACE TO DO IT FOR OVER $200 IF THEY EVEN DO IT ANY MORE

Have you tried by chance just getting gud?

>falling for the old 'gib link' trick

The 300 has a 2J

Just the USDM 2JZ-GE with needle dick rods. Get the 400 if you don't want to have to tear the engine apart to get any more out of it. 1UZ is bae

i lurk but not alot :^(

Yuck, absolute garbage.

>accepts an m90 supercharger with an ECU so simplistic you can add a turbo (or two)

Have you done either of those things?

they have a cool looking dash

It's a minor issue. Just add small auxiliary LED flood-lights pointing at the dial faces

Yes buy it

Future classic. Built better than literally anything else on the road. These still come up from time to time from original owners or second owners who took good care of them. If you find one that is dealer maintained with decent mileage and a clean body for anything under $10k, it will be the best car you’ve ever owned. Absolute sex machine that still turns heads and drops Panties today.

Please get it and baby it before some ghetto nigger gets it and ruins it.

Also, the 1UZ V8 is a great motor. The tuner fags go gay over the lesser SC300 because 2jz no shit. The V8 is still a beast on the highway and has some tuner potential as well.

t. Ls400 owner. You want this car

Ghetto as fuck. Nigger pls go
there are solutions

Can confirm. I drive an SC300 and the gauge clusters lights don't work. No idea whether or not I can fix them myself

>powerful v8 that accepts an m90 supercharger

That's if you can get a fucking manifold for it. You'll either have to fab it or get one from straya for $700.

t. LS400 owner

Agreed, why would you buy this autotragic garbage OP?

>timing belt
HA!
You're fucked.

$700 + the cost of an m90 supercharger isnt bad

look at the costs people who build turbo kits pay

>phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1993-lexus-sc400/6321063810.html

eww
worst color and ugly rims with no interior pictures
not to mention $4k with 150K miles
I would pass personally

>timing belt replaced
thats the thing youre supposed to do with 1uzs after 100k miles user

>personally
REALLY??

not a huge fan of SCs to begin with.
probably because all ones in my area are so clapped out that it looks bad on the brand.

honestly miles and color are least of my concern when most SC's have raped paint thanks to the arizona sun.

not that user but i believe he is implying the belt was done 50k too late and the engine may have issues since it is now being sold just after the replacement.
if you read between the lines it seems to me the engine was overheating and they didn't know why really. so they threw a pump and radiator at it. while you are doing the pump you might as well do the belt too.
probably has a head gasket problem.
most people don't sell their car after dumping a couple grand into it.

>just my 2c as a former mechanic and CL car flipper

I messaged him asking about it a few days ago and he claims to be a aircraft mechanic, If I find anything remotely odd about it I'll probably drop it and go look at some sc300s as well.
i'm not sure if his definition of new is comparable to ours, user could be right in the 50k too late idea, it couldve been 10k or 20k too late but i'm not sure if that makes a huge difference
i make sure not to set my heart on a single car, youll almost always be disappointed with that mindset.

What the fuck kind of assumption is that??
This guy is either a complete retard or wants to buy it himself, please don't listen to him.

>implying the service interval of the belt matters AT ALL as long as it's not broken and the pulleys are OK

hell of a mechanic you are

First off, it's a non-interference motor, even if the belt broke nothing would happen. Even if somehow the valves contacted the pistons, it would be catastrophic to the point that it would need a new engine or it would run HORRIBLY, if at all.

Believe it or fucking not, the water pump is a regular maintenance item and is changed at the time of the timing belt 99.9% of the time and comes with any good t-belt kit.

Believe it or fucking not, a radiator from 1993 in Arizona is 100% of the time gonna be a piece of shit, and since it has to be removed for the tbelt service anyone that knows a damn and wants their car to be reliable would spend the $100 to replace it.

Head gasket issues on 1UZs, especially non-vvti, are literally unheard of

>most people don't sell their car after dumping a couple grand into it.
He obviously didn't do this shit last week, he says he's maintained it since he bought it at 100k
Pic related, the $2000 of maintenance I did to my 1991 car before selling it a couple of months later without a single issue, just because I was bored of it - believe it or not cars get sold for reasons other than being fucked up

Airmen are the best people to buy cars from, they take care of their shit

Just buy it user

I like big coupes, but the SC300/ SC400 always looked girly/ feminine to me. That's the N/A supra motor right?

sc300s got the 2jz, sc400 has the 1uz v8

and the supra is the 2jz, right?

thanks user, i love you, i'm just waiting for my bank to stop being autistic to buy it. i'm gonna kill myself if someone scoops it before i do.

yes it is they threw the 2jz into alot of shit

ily too bb

one thing I've learned over the years if you really want a car, offer them a couple of hundred bucks over their asking price in a well-written message or better yet over the phone

To you it really won't matter in the long run financially, but it will make them your bitch and they will hold it for you for a couple of days because they know that Jose who emailed them "hey u still hef car?" or "u take $2500?" is gonna lowball them and waste their time

works every single time

btw the 1UZ is far superior to the N/A 2J in the boat that the SC is, I wouldn't even bother with the 300

pic related the worthless pile I fired the parts cannon at