>FAQ and What to Play:
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

DCSS tournament 0.20 results: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.20/overview.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Ascended pharaoh:

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.xtahua.com:8080/#watch-Yermak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ohayou gozaimasu, /rlg/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Crawl tournament is almost over! Did you all play your best?

only 5 wins, 4tharra overtook me with just 2 wins.
Shameful display tbqh

I didn't play roguelikes at all
during tournament time rlg is even more /dcssg/ than it normally is

~2h for this tournament to end and i cleared lair with this combo for the first time.. I think i wont make it but ill try to win this regardless

I always play my best during the tournaments. It's probably because the lag makes me stop and think.

I'm worried Dicks hasn't seen the win
It's been a day already
If he doesn't update the MuMofesto then it's never going to be official

from now on it's going to be junethack all the way user. I just feel it.

The worst part is yet to come, in the lair branches, if statue form doesn't generate.

At that point you'll have to do spider and pray that roxanne generates since you won't be able to 1v1 most swamp popcorn enemies.

I gotten shoals and spider so

>shoals

i guess you'll be fine then

What roguelikes have the best story?

Has a roguelike ever touched your heart, made you cry, really made you think

Not really.

Yeah, thank fuck ice form stops the damage from waterstrike bullshit so atleast something ice form is so fucking stupid holy fuck

does crying in arelgee about how paralysis should be removed count

Autistic screeching doesn't into the recognized spectrum of human emotional responses.

jiyva sounded a lot more fun in theory
getting a revolving door of +2 AC mutations isn't very interesting
oh well at least i never have to worship her again

Good job, Makhbats.

We hustled our way into 6th place.

YERMAK ON SUICIDE WATCH

what the heck kind of pokemon is that

back in my day we had zubat and its evolution who I completely forgot the name of
who is this little shit

>ended up with a higher winrate in the end

dang

He was also trying to streak to eventually surpass manman, but he splatted his GhGl due to a user/game error.

>but he splatted his GhGl due to a user/game error.
So you're saying he faulted.

zubat -> zugong

So what's the current FOTM?

>tfw both these manuals
Guccio

makhbat

now make it spam minor destruction

Technically, yeah. If he took his time, he never would've faulted in that situation, but he was probably relying on the game not ignoring something he put in his rcfile.

If he wins his current game within this hour, he may stand a chance at becoming #1.

What exactly happened?

from ##crawl-dev
>Yermak | A bug ended the streak that was my last hope to win this tourney.
>Yermak | I use item_slot ^= scroll of blinking:B. But if an item from a shop is added to unknown stack from backpack, item_slot won't work. This time on 'B' was another scroll ):

The full context was that he was in Depths:5 and a moth of wrath berserked a bunch of monsters, including some ettins. He pulled one up to Depths:4, but took a huge hit. He immediately went to read a blink scroll, which would simply be "rB" for him, except as he stated, something else (a scroll of fear) was on the B slot. So, he accidentally read that fear scroll -- which (I think) is pointless against a berserked enemy -- and that caused him to splat.

how exactly would that happen
he's already won a DDFi^Makhleb exactly, the same combo he's doing now
he has no streak
he can't get any meme banner that's worth points based on what he's done in the game

>He immediately went to read a blink scroll, which would simply be "rB" for him
Well that's fucking dumb. In a life and death situation in a turn-based game you always take a second glance at the situation and/or your inventory before doing it.

Dude faulted hard.

Can't be scared when you're seeing red, yeah.

No, he's actually right.

If he gets it within an hour, he'll likely get the "win with the last start time" bonus, which would be 100 points. That would also be faster than his current 1:11:12 fast win, which would mean his "low realtime win" would jump from 292 to 347 at the minimum.

Since he's 140 points behind, the combination of the two bonuses would put him over.

Thats what happens when you trust a computer/a game to do something for you and doing stuff like this
Sure, it might make your life easier sometimes but then you get shit like this

Oh right, I didn't notice the death directly after that win so I thought this current DD was a streak game.

Guess ManMan is #1, without a doubt, then.

I don't inscribe because I'm afraid of something like this happening. If he inscribed it as rB, wouldn't blink be on rB permanently no matter what he picked up? Why would fear be in that "slot"?

Well, shit.

crawl.xtahua.com:8080/#watch-Yermak if anyone else wants to watch. He's currently on V:4 with one rune, I think.

No wait, I'm retarded is right, the 'win at last time' bonus could give him #1

I mean, you have to know the context that he was trying to get a long streak so that he'd get an extra one or two hundred points. His previous 3 wins were all under 3 hours, and his previous 4 were all on the same day.

His instincts were right, but it was fatigue+goingfast that fucked him.

he should've inscribed (manually or otherwise) !r to all of his important scrolls
full fucking retard

Yea you're right, I didn't know about last game bonus or whatever

what's a good amount of STR for a non limp wristed Elf? currently at 6

10+ or so, so you can wear QDA or something.

qda...quicksilver? right? any other type of good mage armor to invest str for?

The problem wasn't with inscriptions -- if he inscribed blink to @r2 or something, he would've been fine. The problem was with item slots, which can be a fickle mistress.

You can wear anything really, but I typically stop at chain mail/FDA. For deep elf you'll probably wear quicksilver at the absolute heaviest or maybe troll leather.

God, deja-vu.

Going fast is a horrible habit.
Roguelikes are for taking it easy.

yermak be like
GAS GAS GAS
GOTTA STEP ON THE GAS

after seeing that he has 20 minutes to do depths and zot

rip yermak

FUCK

This tournament is sponsored by corrosion.

rip

Well, that was stupid. He really fucked himself with the positioning there I think. Due to wanting to go fast.

He's dead

He was pretty well positioned until the troll earth mage dug out all the walls

He had no choice tbqh, he literally had 15 minutes for the remaining depths floors, Zot and the orb run.

OTabbing forward into the unknown while marked seemed like a bad move. And then staying relatively in the open to use the cleave mechanic and not just falling back.

Nice work, Tummy Slashers. We did it. We did our best.

Holy shit, you got 30th place while dragging a dead weight like veronica.
Great job you guys.

cant you just get unlimited people in your team?

>dcss tournament is almost finished
>so burnt out I didn't play

Where did it all go so wrong?

Yes user.
I am, in fact, bullying them.

you keep using that word.

The fellowship came in #8, we spent the last week of the tourny constantly splatting so we could never catch up to the makhbats

>Tittycrusher

>you will never be in a team as good as kings or big black macabre finger necklace

Can you gofast with a Troll, at least for 3 runes, without statue form?

Troll of Chei would be reasonably fast, along the lines of VS of Chei. So yeah, I suppose you could. It's just that you'll be hurting for early-game AC, and gofast means you're going to splat quite a bit because of it.

Where do all these teams come from? Obviously there are a couple from here, from Bay12, from SA, Reddit, the tavern. But there's a lot of teams. Is there a secret DCSS subculture that I don't know about?

Damn people with friends.

You missed the probably biggest subculture of DCSS players. DCSS.

Just fucking click on it???

A lot of them are just IRL friends of the players, if you can believe it.

I was reading crawl-dev, and one of the server admins has a team with his brothers/brothers-in-law.

And then there are the Korean teams, who most likely just join together in their Public Chat webtiles account.

And, most importantly, there's IRC and Webtiles chat itself, which I assume most players use to communicate with each other. (I'd been mini-stalking Vaj to see how on earth he got on the same team as 4thArra, and my only two assumptions are that it was via IRC or just hounding 4thArra in his chat)

>I'd been mini-stalking Vaj to see how on earth he got on the same team as 4thArra, and my only two assumptions are that it was via IRC or just hounding 4thArra in his chat
Never used the IRC in my life famalam.

A friend on the same server, murphy, formed a team and wanted to recreate the 0.19 tourny team but alot of the the members were MIA so he asked me and 4tharra to join. Sadly, I'm a shitter and 4tharra didn't have much time to play so we came #8.

>purple very ugly thing in D:8, along with Death Yaks guarding the Lair entrance there

epic, simply epic

stop playing crawl past .17

Well, i guess splatters did well considering all the stuff together and i guess its nice having all the /rlg/ teams, atleast the ones that were in the op, in top 50 so im happy with that as well
Hope all of you had a nice tournament!

>suddenly people are streaming roguelikes
what happened?

playing a challenge race and being forced to die by bad entrance vaults is one of the finest pleasures in DCSS, you ingrate

the retarded death yak entrance has been a thing since like .12 or something

Death yaks are manageable.
Very ugly things are NOT.

Whats your favourite 7 day roguelike

Mines traumaRL

>less than 100 viewers across all rogue"likes" combined
that's not even 1% of total twitch viewership man
literally nothing happened except for a couple nerds watching a couple nerds play videogames

probably smart kobold

aliensrl

For my Merfolk Gladiator, early on: Keep my basic +1 trident or trade up to a halberd?

Halberd, you'll want a glaive asap since that +4 aptitude means you'll get pole arms up incredibly fast.

Can someone tell me why did i have iron and deep troll in orc? What is this shit

So basically trade up to the biggest pole I can at the earliest opportunity?

Be lucky you didn't get the one with like 5 ettins, a stone giant and a billion cyclops'.

For some reason, there's always ridiculously OOD shit in orc:2 now if you don't get the usual vault with the high-level orcs.

Because wildly OOD monsters make for interesting tactical situations

I had ettins and cyclopses as well along with 1 iron and 1 deep troll

Yeah, basically. You'll probably want spells as well, since you'll fighting in light armour for most of the game as merfolk.(Typically ring/scale because of the -3 armour aptitude)
so they're basically free since you won't have much armour encumbrance.

But desu it wasnt a big deal, ice form just melt through them but i never seen iron and deep troll in orc, ever

You move down the stairs
The Ettin hits you. The ettin hits you.
-50/50
you die.

SmithRL

You run a shop for selling weapons and armor to adventurers. None of them can really afford good weapons until they already have good weapons, so the way to win is to sell stuff below cost, thus running a Ponzi scheme where you are the victim, but it ends up working out OK because the adventurers will sell old stuff back to you for $1.

Ball Lightning (fail rate 5%) or Freezing Cloud (fail rate 28%) for a TeAE?

This is with Vehumet's success rate aid, too. Just now going into Lair.

Lightning could be nice but it would generate a lot of noise and attract all the other shit
Freezing cloud on the other hand is really nice since almost all the monsters in lair are slow metabolism so cold attacks/spells may slow them, which is nice and lets you escape some shitty hydra or something so i would probably take freezing cloud and try to get it to lower % fail rate, obviously

Freezing cloud is my #1 crutch shitter spell, just put a few points in ice (5-10ish) to get the fail rate down in the teens