youtu.be/loxT1B3IyxU?t=3m1s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for java

second for AMATEUR game devs

Fuck retards using Unity.

What does /agdg/ think of my concept?
im thinking of going to the COD zombies direction, with base building

youtube.com/watch?list=PLVlJ9QDFQo6kQHHy9wcLFfy26lPO85uhl&v=_yQShfH4rW8

Why do I often have this sudden uncontrollable urge to give my characters really retarded face expressions on some animation frames?

You could use a keypairvalue that holds String and your variable, if they have those in lua.

the face of actual little children is naturally retarded

Because you're a pedophile.

I have too many game ideas. I don't even know which are within my ability to make.
How do I choose which game idea to make?

What the fuckum buckums?

Does Unity have ANY advantages over Unreal?

>trying to follow tutorial
>guy says to make a variable and make it a struct
>next time it shows up, it's an int with no comment on it from the author
>turns back into a struct on the next page
What the fuck.

What's the best engine to make an Undervania game?

First, keep in mind variable names are just syntactic sugar. When the program compiles all those names will be lost never to be retrieved again.
That being so, dealing with variable names in the way you're trying to do is just silly and will be a hell to expand later on.

You could deal with this simply mapping each variable to an integer just like the other user said.
Say, you have variables a, b and c and want to know which one is the bigger.
You just throw them into an array and look for the biggest value on it. Say b is the biggest, then (since you're on lua) the index 2 has the biggest value. Just return 2 to your program and now you know the biggest value is on the second position of the array.

If you need to change the variable you can either be silly and write a huge switch-case statement, or build a map (but then, you might as well refactor how these variables are stored in the first place).
If you just need the value, don't even bother doing these, just use it directly from the array.

Lastly, don't give up.

Make a lot of small little piece of shit tiny games to get a better idea of your ability.

Y does everyone bully Unity?
;_;

>underVANIA
>nothing vania related
fuck off

Lua is such a garbage language.

Clickteam Fusion 2.5 (Or Clickteam Fusion 3 when that comes).

It may have a few outdated features, but it is best when working with sprites, animations, changing animations, and open-world style environments.

I made this using Unreal Engine 4, very powerful but takes some getting used to, it was a culmination of several online tutorial series on their website and a bit of experimenting on my own. I like UE4 alot but i heard Godot is a great open-source engine thats great for 2D/3D so i might check that out

Decide what your goal is as a game designer. Are you trying to tell a story? Make fun game-play? Socialize?

Then ask yourself - do i have the time? will i have the funds to finish the game? Is there a market for this game or has it been done before?

Create a game design document and test your idea on paper

Keeping the projectiles at a friendly speed and pacing. I will tweak slightly down for Original mode and then change up formations/patterns and tweak up for Arrange mode.
I also need to make it so destroying the buster targets turns all projectiles on screen into point items that auto home in on the player since destroying them already acts as a bullet cancel.

>Undervania
This is one of the most retarded descriptions I've ever read.

Now I know how to call my game's genre: Papermariovania!

because they are jealous. Yes a lot of games made in unity aren't that great, but thats because the devs didnt put enough effort. However, the game got MADE, which is a lot more than what could be said about these "devs" shitposting about Unity.

>Actually telling someone to use Clickteam Fusion

We have entered levels of retardation never thought to be possible before.

Unreal is CPU intensive , bloated project files and end packaged results and i think have less 2D support

Unity's biggest advantage was its documentation and support network through forums and videos but Unreal is rapidly catching up with their weekly live-streams and tutorials

>undervania
What will these fucking retards come up with next?

what the fuck is all that weird shit around the game

Well, at least _someone_ using PC98 Touhou games as reference, I've tired of the windows touhou clones really.

In terms of cheap price, you can get it for $5 on G2A, so you don't gotta pay all $100.

It is better with animation than GameMaker: Studio.

For $5, that's not bad.

It might be not a great engine, it is good for it's G2A price point.

Why does the girl keeps making faces?
Nice th7 extra stage rip-off.

This undervania is looking pretty good

the game looked really good at exactly 21 seconds

But this is touhouvania!

How combat will work.
Though this is a training. In real combat there will be a time limit, this is based on who you are fighting. You will have to save before the timer runs out or else you will not do any damage at all.
There will be an indicator of how much time you start with but because of technical limitations I can't have a running timer.

SHMUP games were made on arcades which used 3:4 aspect ration for their screens.

When those same games were ported to screens larger than that, the devs didn't want to remake the game, so they just added random shit around the edges to get whatever aspect ratio they needed.

Due to autism, new games keep with that tradition.

will doing drugs make me better at art?

zbecause you are a man of culture such as myself

thanks for the explanation
>Due to autism, new games keep with that tradition.
kek

I gotta agree with the other anons, I dislike the huge UI even if it's "shmup tradition".

>Indie "dev" telling people to buy products on G2A

Jesus fucking Christ.

I'll answer your question with another question.

Could posting that you are in possession of drugs on the internet possibly get you arrested?

Non-game dev here. I have a lot of programming experience but my game-making skills are abysmal. I made my own game engine with physics and collision detection in javascript and frankly it has been really fun. I want to continue working on it but I feel like its time to add some textures/assets, make it look more like a game instead of an engine demo. Where do you guys look for inspiration/resources?

gif related is gameplay

>touhouvania!
Please. Touhou uses the same 2D "bullet hell" dodging mechanics as Undertale™. There's no need to be that autistically specific about what is and isn't Undertalevania.

this is a good joke. I'll propagate this image.

are you saying going to jail will make me better at art?

Say something I'm giving up on you.

no, it's a roguetouhoundervanialike

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

youtube.com/watch?v=IdTMDpizis8

youtube.com/watch?v=BkvEpoqFx6c

youtube.com/watch?v=JWy_cBcawKQ

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Yes.

Risking jail will make you better at art.

Go do your drugs.

Reminder that if you are a millennial you aren't gonna make it.

i'd hate to say that the weakest part of your game is bullet patterns and enemy placement, they lack elegance, but your art really improved and that gui is looking great

I seriously dont know if I want to do my game in 2d or 3d. I'm a decent programmer but when it comes to graphics, I'm not sure whats worst: doing good sprites, or doing good 3d models.

fuck

It's true, we all have terrible work ethic.
fuck me

Reminder that if you aren't a Scotsman you aren't gonna make it.

youtu.be/6Pz-Sxuhv8I?t=175

Reminder that if you aren't under 32 you won't be able to learn any of this shit.

A reminder that if you're a millennial, you don't need to make it because you're expected to live with your parents until you're 35.

>mfw 30
uh oh

thanks for this

JLMG

2d is easier to draw
3d is easier to animate

Don't worry, finish up and release your game quickly.

You'll have already learned the material and you can dev.

There are several HUD plating options. There is a clear one with 3 levels of opacity as well as solid ones with designs. Since I have been looking into TATE mode option there is also going to be a minimal HUD info option with no pictures.

Never played PCB to be honest. My favorites are 6 and 8. She keeps making faces because I am using a tap+hold command to fire red shot and refill her burst gauge faster. It is just a portrait 'tell'.

I do agree. I have been trying to make the first two difficulties as easy to get into as possible. When I start working on the hard difficulty I want it to be an experience that core shmup players can feel is their "normal". But for these first modes I don't want to overwhelm the player. I want them to have fun and maybe because of it try the harder difficulty or even be curious about giving other shmups a try. Thank you for the feedback!

>posting sadfrogs at any age, much less at age 30
You were never gonna make it anyway.

>2d is easier to draw
I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag but I can make blocky "retro" 3D shit.

I missed a few months, did these dev ever finish their game?

Guess who is back, my niggas?

hahahahahaha

Stop opressing me, I was just about to start devving.

>avoid singletons, functions should be self-contained!
Well Mr. Smartypants, how the FUCK do I do a tile-based game without referencing some central controller that contains all the tile data?

That eye monster looks like Doom's Eye from Shadow the Hedgehog.

Why imitate Shadow the Hedgehog? That's literally retarded.

this graph is inaccurate

Coming along.

It's still wrong.

There's no Talent line which starts higher.

that was what he posted. I have a few saved webm from over the years. If I check in a backup I can probably find stuff up to 2012 or something.

Did that guy ever show more? It looked great

Don't fucking tell me what to do.

Fucking simpleton.

Just a funny coincidence.
Considering your target audience of ironic weebs, they might enjoy the reference.
youtu.be/loxT1B3IyxU?t=3m1s

what are some good places to find pixel artists to hire? I've run out of people on tigsource, pixelation, and pixeljunkie

It's almost as if there's only so many patterns you can do in a bullet hell game.

Do the work yourself.

I love that honestly. Is PCB any good? I might want to give it a try now seeing that. Thank you for bringing it up, user!

>hire
>amateur game dev
what part of 'hobby' dont you get? just use some homemade shit/minimalist art, the important part is the gameplay

Of course. I like all touhou games, but PCB is one of the best by working just with its simplicity. Just go for it.

You keep shitposting this same concept. Do you even know what amateur means?

stop

and you?

Finally done with the hands and feet, this took a while.

How does that butt look like?

nice

Most people spend money on their hobby

A side project thats inspired by zelda and chrono trigger.
Ill go into more detail when i finish my current projects, but its got a time travel mechanic thats similar to oracle of seasons, although on a larger time scale closer to chrono trigger

thanks, now I need to find a good character texture tutorial

Cute doggo companion.

And how does that relate to paying someone else? Hmm? Are you trying to say an amateur can't hire a professional?

the only way anyone here has money to spend is if they get autism bux

How do you guys make your webms?
Me and my buddies have been working on a thing for a while and i wanted to post it here

this is the same argument they use for college football

OBS + Webm for retards