Is the eBay business thing just a meme, Veeky Forums ?

Is the eBay business thing just a meme, Veeky Forums ?

Is there really money to be made - for someone in a first world country - in ebay ? I mean, if I can order cheap shit on asian websites, how could I sell them for a profit on ebay ? Wouldnt these buyers just go straight to these asian websites instead ?

I do not see how it is possible for anyone here to have a good, stable profit margin, considering the fees, shipping fees, warranties, etc.

Is the ebay business just a thing for people in poor countries ?

Also, do you have good guides/tutorials/tips for a beginner on eBay ?

Thanks !

A lot of small shops use ebay and other selling sites. I don't think you can make much money buying shit from China and flipping it on ebay though.

The money is more in having a knowledge in a section of product and flipping it.

IE if you are obsessed with video games and know their worth you can then go on craigslist or a thrift store and buy and sell them for a large profit.

>been ebaying for the past month, buying and selling shit from garage sales and goodwill

>made over $2,000 so far

feels pretty good to make easy money

professional ebayer reporting in

for nearly 6 months I've been coming here and answering questions, but frankly I'm getting burned out and dumbfounded how the same absolutely retarded questions get asked over and over again.

You all have made me start realizing there really *is* a difference between "those who do" and "those who dont"...Those who "do" don't have to ask strangers the most basic of questions that simple logic should be able to answer and instead find out through proper trial and research, and thus find the success. Those who "don't", keep asking the same retarded, simple, mundane questions over and over in a never ending loop.

once again:

>Is the eBay business thing just a meme, Veeky Forums ?
if it was then why is it still alive? Without sellers profiting the seller base in turn ebay in whole would dry up and die.

I did the lifting for you, yw:

Pic related. the drop is from the ebay/paypal split and was a good thing, with steady growth on both sides since.

OR, how about you actually get up and go fucking try instead of asking strangers?

>Wouldnt these buyers just go straight to these asian websites instead ?
You can literally buy anything from walmart for less online. Doesn't seem to stop them, does it?

once again, use ur gd head

>Is the ebay business just a thing for people in poor countries ?
I'm in the US

>Also, do you have good guides/tutorials/tips for a beginner on eBay ?
Guide: get off your ass and do it

first half is right, second half is wrong. I do both. There's plenty to be made, you just need to pull your head out of your ass long enough to look.

he gets it. This is how I first started.

*high five*

You should write a book

I have a question, I'm selling some posters (pic) and it's getting about 20 views a day.
But I'm getting 0 sales, what's up?

I'm testing the waters with selling posters online but is this usually how it goes until I make a sale?

why would anyone pay $10 for that. You need to invest in decent designs to sell at that price. Add a pepe or something.

I'm a good graphic designer but I made the assumption that people would've liked the simplicity of this poster.

I'll lower it then and make some pepe posters in the near future.

>simplicity of this poster
it's not 2008

It's your main image. Separate your multi-listing into individual BIN listings with an image of each /b/ or /pol/

Sold listings rank higher on ebay searches, so I wanted to have all the posters in one listing so if they sell, it hopefully snowballs into other sales.

Thats true but you are assuming you are going to get orders from anything other than /b/ posters but you wont. Your main image just says "any Veeky Forums forum" - people are stupid and lazy and arent going to connect that you have additional designs for sale just based on a thumbnail that says "any Veeky Forums forum". If you dont want to break into individual listings, at least make your main image /b/

That makes sense. Done.

Also, an user gave me some advice. He said to start your listings low then after about 50 or so sales, jack up the price by 50%. His logic was that you will get the ebay search boost but now with your higher price.

Should I put the posters for 4.99 with free shipping then jack up the price?

I'm a large volume chinese seller, we call that "paying up"

you can either start your listings really low to get sales, or have shill accounts buy them.

If you go the shill/fake account method, do it steady, like 1 sale every 2 or 3 days.

Another option is to wait until you have a couple people who have added it to their watch list, then drop the price from your current price to $4.99 - eBay will send those people an email saying "Poster is now 50% off!" and you might get a couple sales from that, then jack the price back up to $9.99 and then people will hopefully continue to buy it, and as people buy it, eBay will start promoting it through their ad platform getting you traffic/sales from sources outside of eBay.

This is theory, but maybe you could try paying a youtuber with similar demographics as Veeky Forums users to post up a /b/ poster behind them while they make a couple videos. The make some fake youtube accounts and ask about the poster, and then have another fake youtube account post a link/url to the posters.

Thanks for the advice user, I'll lower it to 4.99.

What do you do about the title tags. I just looked up the most sold items and copied the general tags to my item, do you do the same?

Ebay in general has gone to shit since google cut them off a while back.
Only thing I would use it for at this point is for flipping cars.

Source on google cutting ebay off?

final bump

>try drop shipping with established account
>undercut competition without jewing everyone by $.01 less listings
>some items even have local warehouses that are in state so the shipments take less than a week
>no bites

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Any non-burger ever made profit here on Ebay or anything else?

its true

Are you copying the same titles?

Typically I'll find what product I'm selling, copy and paste the listing in the search field, switch to sold listing and then copy and paste whatever has sold before.

You're going to want to search for the most sold items and/or the highest priced ones when looking by sold items.

hey interested in talking to you more privately. Have you a skype or throwaway email I can contact you at?

im the guy that told you to get the frames in previous thread

give it time. it will come. live listings on ebay is the hook in the water, gotta wait for a fish to bite.

I can go -months- without sales on any specific product easy. other times I can sell 10 a day and itll make my head spin.

keep making more, diversify your bait. the difference between this and fishing is the fish will browse your shop and potentially buy something else if the initial find doesnt snag 'em.

more listings > single listing with a billion options* it makes it harder to be discovered

*if you have good traffic flow it wont matter, but if youre a new seller youre low on the totem pole.

i do this for things i need to compete with pre-established ppl for. sometimes you might even lose money per sale until you get to the point of raising price. consider it cutting your teeth for that product.

youre a moron

ignore him, ebay is still #1 when it comes to shopping online without being "preimum priced for premium service" ie amazon

Gobofranfff@gmail

What service do you use to ship your goods? Do you need a tracking number or can you ship with USPS?

Anyone if there is any money in selling stickers? Like the kind your would put on your car. You can get custom ones for cheap if you but bulk.

>If you are using animage or textcreated by someone else be sure that you have permission from the rights owner or creator.

How serious is this enforced?

random tip, friends:

I bought a bunch of hentai mangas on amazon a while back for cheap ($12-15 each) and sold them later after they went out of print for insane gains...2 of them I had 3 copies each and sold for between $70 to a whopping $180 believe it or not...

I think the potential is there for some newer comics but you have to know which ones to buy

1 man operation. I do not dropship or outsource logistics. I am a firm advocate against dropshipping, ESPECIALLY when it comes to newbies first starting. You should learn every inch of your business so you're never dependant on someone else to operate, and the amount of risk/danger/failure that can occur trusting a chinese wholesaler to handle your shit in proper and timely fashion absolutely is not worth it.

i personally dont but a friend of mine does something like this - he bought a vinyl cutter / machine thing and makes custom vinyl banners/stickers/etc, primary focus was car niche but branched out elsewhere. theres money in any service that requires specialty knowledge or equipment to accomplish.

depends on whos patents/copyrights/trademarks you fuck with and how fast you get caught.

collectors niches / sex niches sell like hotcake. combining the two, smart

Bumping, just put up this.

Look good? What can I change.

Try selling something people will actually want to buy

LIKE WHAT

You're selling meme images bro, soon as a new meme appears, print it and sell it. This was a meme in like 2011 or some shit. I'm sure if I search 'pepe poster' I'll get a million results.

also, if this was me I would send free posters to small-time youtubers, subscribers buy the shit they see in videos.

Thanks fammy. Any memes you recommend? Seems like there's no icons like pepe.

>I'm sure if I search 'pepe poster' I'll get a million results.
There are no pepe posters on ebay, which is why I jumped on the opportunity.

fuck dude you want us to wipe your ass too?

Anyone have screens/archives of this?

I'm opening up a webshop selling consumables in the 1-2$ range aswell as some tools for around 30$ each, I have a custom design website that will link to my webshop. I have installed PrestaShop but I'm open to other e-commerce solutions. How is Shopify for instance?

Also, how do you handle shipping costs at checkout? Fixed price?

I'd appreciate it, yea.

Ebay and paypal fees are too high, and then shipping fees are also high, on top of that you need to pay tax. Unless you actually manufacture the stuff you're selling, it's hard to get by. Reselling wholesale goods doesn't work anymore for me.

tax is quite literally going to be a percentage of profits. you cant/wont come out negative from paying taxes like you can other costs (ie "fuck after ebay/paypal fees, shipping, and product cost, I've actually lost money in this transaction"), assuming you handle your shit properly

look up a Veeky Forums archive in google and search for the thread

ebay is a good website if you'd like to sell things online

>Sending $$$ to China man through Western Union
>Holding over 2k in cash while on the phone
>Manager walks by (old friend)
>"Oh hey you long time no see"
>"I didn't know you're still in the game"
>HAha yea
>Everyone around looks at me suspiciously
>Get WU code
>Head over to register to pay
>Machine malfunctions
>Cashier starts counting $$$ on counter
>Everyone's looking

So this is why people pay $80 to send $$$ over the phone instead of $18 in person

...only if they knew i sell memes for a living

Buyers are getting smarter imo

They know that free shipping means the shipping is included in the price, so I get why you're putting shipping separate, but don't think for a second that will help your marketing unless you plan on selling accessories.

Asking questions like this means you will need to use Shopify.
When you're used to that switch to WordPress (cheaper if you know what you're doing).

Also what ive done. As an experiment.

>Buy 3DS on local sites
>Spend no more than $100
>Mod it and resell for chunks
>Based Shitendo always has console droughts and overcharge for their hasbro shit new AND used
>Sell for a bit under nintendos value with 30 free games
>Sell way over nintendos value for special 3DS'

There be a 3DS at a pawn shop a block away being sold for $60. I can quickly resell the thing for 120 local or 150 on feebay. And another for $30 on offerup

Thanks to nintendos retarded pricing for software and public stupidity I'll keep making easy money.

how much time is spent modding the device? any additional costs ie hardware needed for the mod etc?

also I'd assume you can buy the same 3ds model in the same condition on ebay for less than any local retailer. I'd assume you've checked that, but find it surprising theres a better deal locally, at a brick and mortar operation no less

The only timely part of the process is downgrading and updating the firmware. Depending on the 3DS the downgrade/update could take 30 minute total.

Otherwise Its 17 minutes of moving files around if you're well organized. I have all the required files organized for specific parts of the process.

>any additional costs ie hardware needed for the mod etc?
SD/Micro and a charger. I have a lot laying around.

>also I'd assume you can buy the same 3ds model in the same condition on ebay for less than any local retailer. I'd assume you've checked that, but find it surprising theres a better deal locally, at a brick and mortar operation no less

It depends on the 3DS.

There are a lot of good local deals mostly because of how many 3DS's are out there right now and how many people dont want them or dont have time to play anymore. The deals are only sweet if they come with games. I purchased a black XL for $80. A white collar were getting rid of it and it came with 3 pokemon games. Gamestop took the games for about $60 (Pokemon games resell well) which made the 3DS $20. I sold it for $175

>try to sell memes
>BOOHOO NOBODY IS BUYING, IT'S ALL A MEME, FUCK YOU ALL

>fuck you all

?

Same here. Toy collectors on eBay have gotten poor as dirt. You really can't make it unless you get something that suddenly takes off and you gouge the fuck out of people.

>Is the eBay business thing just a meme, Veeky Forums ?

Saw a kid one day when he is buying things from my "donated goods" store, it was for his "Ebay Business". Overweight, white tee already marinara sauce stained, not even 2pm, should have had a neckbeard but didn't.

Yes it is a meme and it attracts scammers for the sellers.

That kid is probably making 200%+ profit on those items you're selling.

If you own a thrift store why aren't you selling your shit on ebay?

buyers have never been so stupid they couldn't realize shipping is factored in. the entire nature of eBay is its the cheapest option for lots of things - the audience is literally there because they're penny pinches in lots of cases, that's not the point at all.

shipping used to be done separately because final value fees werent applies to your shipping costs - a practice long ended by ebay.

since then, the benefit of marking "Free shipping" is because it stops buyers from bitching if you don't give them "shipping discounts" if they buy more than 1 item from you. You cant argue and bitch and neg because someone wouldn't drop something lower than "Free"

The argument could still be made, but it makes the situation sound dumber and thus it rarely if ever happens. I've literally *never* had a buyer try to get a discount for bulk purchase "since you'll save on shipping" if I have everything marked as Free shipping, but every single time I've used segregated shipping costs it absolutely happens when they buy 2+ of anything.

Also if you are off on shipping costs (goes down because you get lighter shipping materials etc) they will wreck your shit "because you overcharged on shipping"

one of the very first niches I ever got in was toys (not going into detail) - i made a killing, but the nature of it is way too much inventory for too little profit per item, the workload gets insane as you grow.

Now if you're dealing with specialty "collector" grade stuff, I can see how youd think the market is too small, but theres a ton of money to be made in various toy niches. It's just too intricate of inventory for me to be bothered dealing with.

things that didn't happen

read above

Do you know which niche is sells really well but not a lot of people are selling? Video Games and Clothes seems like a pretty over saturated market.