What happened to compact pickup trucks...

What happened to compact pickup trucks? The compact pickups of today are behemoths compared to the old Toyota my dad used to drive

It has something to do with car emissions.

>slow
>dangerous in accidents
>can't haul shit with them reliably
>no room in the back for kids/friends/etc
>horrible ride
>made horribly cheap
>no ground clearance
>not good for tall people
>literally just buy a car instead
Only poor people and "muhhh souulllll" kids pine for those garbage trucks.

gg boomer we win

user you sound like you speak from experience
keep talking me out of wanting a compact pick up as my next ride.

Are you a spic or person who makes less than $12k a year?

Yes
>buy the shittiest trucks ever made

No
>Buy a real fucking truck to use as a fucking truck or buy a car/suv

I know! The 2006ish~ chevy Colorado's are so fucking cool to me... now they are fat tubs of shit. I love my second gen dakota they look fucking badass too especially if you lower then and stick the 5.9 in it... if it doesn't have it already. Something about standard cab short box trucks slammed is fucking sick.

Vehicles below a certain size must hit emissions (as well as modern safety) standards, so they just make fuck huge bro trucks to avoid the emissions issue entirely.

This is why older midsize trucks like the Tacoma are keeping their value so high.

Speaking of compact trucks, are there any good ones that have normal back seats besides the Tacoma and colorado/canyon? In the market for a truck but I don't really need to tow, more just need a bed

Unironically end your life, Amerifag.

It's a bummer they don't make them anymore. I love my ranger. But it's a 94 with 210k miles and afraid its days are ending soon. They're worth more now then when I bought mine.

looking into a Baja for my next dd

what's wrong with it?
I'm pretty sure these are stupid easy to work on and parts are cheap.

My first car was a 1991 manual nissan pickup.
Most of your points are true but it was actually fairly quick and it was great to have the bed on occasion when I bought furniture n shit. Also rwd truck doriftus are great

Just snagged a 93 ranger with 117k for 2400. Deals can be found on lower-mileage ones but you'll have to do a good bit of looking to find any sub 200k

I think it depends on where you live too. Down south everyone and their brother has a shitty compact they want to get rid of so they can upgrade to those ungodly diesel behemoths that none of them can really afford and none of them really use. I was able to cop a beat up 97 s10 for around 2100 and it only had around 160k miles on it. You'd be surprised to find that a lot of people don't really use them for work, they just use it as a daily driver.

Crazy. I'm in the pacific northwest, and lightweight pickups go for waayy too much generally. '00 tacomas go for 7-10k often.

Tfw bought a 00 silverado regular cab a lot for 5k 4 years ago, 180k miles, no issues since.

He's fucking memeing. They don't tow, true, but at 6'3 even I have room in a short cab ranger. They're not peppy but that's not the point of them. Extended cab and crew cab models exist to haul more people or things inside the cab. Made horribly cheap is plain false. No ground clearance is also false.
They cost about the same to make as larger trucks, but they couldn't be sold for as much. That's the main reason.

kill yourself fat nigger

this

Had a GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab long bed. Frickin awesome truck.. "can you help me move" yes

Google the Chicken Tax.

There's your answer.

but that whole technology has increased so much. You can't make a small truck that fits into the guidelines that a car it's size should? Why not?

fuck me this can't be real

what the fuck

There is in fact nothing better than mini truck hooning

American bean counters don't want to pay for $28 worth of equipment per unit

That's insane. The most I've ever seen a compact go for was maybe 6 or 7 Grand and even then it was a truck from the late aughts. We have this local online exchange, kind of a Craigslist-type deal, where basically half the vehicles sold there are late 90s light trucks and all of them range around 1500 to 5k.

I was at a car show Saturday and saw a w126 300sd covered into a ute. We need utes, not small pickups

You can't blame the chicken tax alone. We had plenty of light trucks in the 90s for fuck's sake.

The issue is that the way the way the efficiency equations work is based off of square footage of the car, this works out well for large trucks since they have a large footprint and are expected to be inefficient, whereas small trucks have a footprint similar to passenger cars and are treated as such, when you throw in the natural aerodynamic inefficiency of a pickup style body it makes it stupidly difficult to make something that has the power expected with a truck and still have it work.

Oh come on, they're just fine to DD, I drive a 96 Tacoma on a 20mi commute, sure it's not a luxury SUV or crossover it's a basic truck and it rides like a real truck should, but if you mainly transporting one or two people it's nice to have the bed to be able to toss messy shit in that you wouldn't want to have inside with you, but you still maintain the size of a smaller car which is nice if you live anywhere with traffic or tight parking.

The Chicken Tax is just why we don't have the Hilux or Mahindra Imperio, the EPA and cost disparity with fullsize are why we don't have domestic options.

The new canyons/colorados are the size of an f150 its fucking comical man.

No they fucking aren't. They're tiny compared to a Silverado of the same year or a F150 of the same year. Why do you people always compare new shit to 30 year old shit? A new Civic is bigger than a Model T....

If you can't handle an extra 2 inches of girth on a truck you should buy a fucking cute little crossover.

Thats what my brother had / is now in the driveway with my Silverado, he had a 02 and we would haul classic cars for a friend of ours.

>Dis nigger

The cute little fucker in OPs pic can carry over 1100kg of cement bags and 3 people to a construction site, plus their tools and miscellaneous equipment, for years on end

Can also tow a small trailer with 1.5 tons of water. Not ideal, but it's doable as long as you mind the braking distances, and remember you've got a 60hp non-turbo diesel under the hood so it'll likely be the slowest vehicle in the country

It can do serious work while giving no fucks about the shit fuel and oil it's given, and while driving in 3rd world country dirt roads. And even then, in 16 years, ground clearance hasn't been an issue, although traction was a few times, a limited-slip would've been nice

A good diesel work trucklet with about as much electronics as your common rock can be a very valuable asset for many people

Owned a '91 Toyota before it got rekt in an accident.

>Slow
Not wrong, slow as fuck.
>Dangerous in accidents
Got T-boned at 40, rung my bell pretty good but I walked away without a scratch
>No room in the back
Like I have friends
>Horrible ride
Comfiest ride I ever had, I got a focus after this and it wasn't as comfy
>Made cheap
I jumped the shit out of mine and nearly rolled it twice in dirt lots. The 22RE it had was bullet proof.
>No ground clearance
As if modern trucks have any better
>Not good for tall people
I'm 6'5", I fit in it just fine.
>Buy a car
Nah, I got a free bed frame because I had a truck ready to go.

This. We've had our Hilux from new and the only issue it's had was the transfer case because some cocksucker thought it was funny to do 4wd launches in low. Runs on an oily rag, starts hard every time, does whatever you want except not understeer or go fast. Just can't break the bloody things unless you try really hard.

I see old D21s all the time where I live.

Jelous you cunts?!!

There comes a time when the cost of repair is more than the vehicle is worth. And when the truck is only worth 2k when I bought it, a engine or Tran rebuild wouldn't be worth it

>No ground clearance
Huh I guess that's why so many people do this?

Its the exact opposite of a modern pickup truck, and thats what a lot of people want - why the fuck do you need room in the back if its just transporting shit and doing work?
Why does it need to be super expensive?
Why does it need more power than just enough?

>can't haul shit with them reliably
I'd like you to explain that one a bit further
>no ground clearance
Thats because, if you're thinking of the one in the photo; its a RWD. If pic related doesn't have enough body clearance for you (same Hilux, but 4WD) then I'm not sure what your demands are. If you're talking actual ground cleanrace for the axles then thats dependent on the size of your wheels - and there is no point putting fucking 33"s on something like that stock

Outta my way.

Fuck you I like it. I don't think you can get anything that can do as much as a $850 ranger. I've stacked the bed up to the cab with firewood, hauled furniture and done light offroading/trail riding with it. Yes it's limited by it's open diff and clearance but I'm not going rock crawling in it

r i p ranger

i cri everytim

Small trucks are great!
With two VW D24 engines in the back, it did wheelies in 4WD! Scary and fun!

I miss my truck....I really regret selling it, at least I sold it to a guy at my work who's going to swap an FE3 and turbo it.

I posted my MJ in the car photo thread. It's a hunk of shit but it's my hunk of shit and I love it.

Mother of god.

Kiwifag?

>ITT people literally unironicly insulting the jeep Comanche

Used to have a 78 hilux and it was brutally great.
>pic related. Not mine but mine was identical, down to the topper
Compact trucks are my favorite, and op is right: they've gotten way too non-compact.

I love it user

I loved my 88 Comanche Eliminator, it was my first truck and i wish i still had it, but repairs were costing more than she was worth and i was a poorfag.