We're going to get 10 cm of snow tonight

>we're going to get 10 cm of snow tonight
>i've never driven in snow before
How can I avoid crashing my car tomorrow?

Smooth is key. Brake 5x early. I'm serious. Get all of your stopping done before you actually need to stop. Don't take corners fast. Accelerate gently.

Brake way earlier than you think you need to and take it slow. If you brake only a little bit early, you may find yourself on a patch of ice and not have room to stop

100% this. You're not driving on regular pavement and just remember that. Take it slow around corners and brake early. It's really not hard.

Don't touch the brakes in a turn
Slightly engage the E-brake to take some of the weight off the front wheels.
If you're about to understeer rip the e-brake.

Alaskan here, another tip with braking in winter is you can pump the brakes.

Threshold braking is better than human ABS.

put winter tires on

do sik skids around everything

only right answer
do a sicc thicc skid cunt

Minnesotan here. Best way to keep from crashing is to not leave the house.

This is actually the best.

Seriously...go find an empty parking lot and practice driving in the shit. Snow is not bad. Ice is much worse.

And for the best advice... Do not drive like a jackass. Go slow if you have to. NO SUDDEN maneuvers.

Repeat..NO SUDDEN MANEUVERS unless some other jackass forces you to do so.

Fuck off, our winters are perfectly manageable.

Second this. Call into work, take your car to some abandoned parking lot and just tear it up in the snow till you get used to stopping and turning.

be light on the throttle and brake. put chains on if you need to.

You don't use chains in the fucking city...

>snow in October
kys

JUST BRAKE WITH THE ENGINE BRO

Engine braking is actually a good idea with snow as opposed to going into neutral, it serves as ABS for your drive wheels if your car doesn't have it, and enables you to move if someone is going to slide into you.

honestly I just assumed he wasn't in the city

>tfw driven FWD my whole life and never had any trouble driving in the snow

I'm also driving a landbarge of a Buick so idk i guess I just am used to it since I'm a Colorado fag. Now if only the fucking commiefornians would learn to drive already

this
you'll slow down faster in a low gear vs braking on fresh snow with shit tires

You're both retarded.
The snow doesn't know what means of braking your using.

He's retarded for suggesting to purely engine brake, but keeping the drivetrain engaged serves as rudimentary ABS. that is a fact.

Nope. Brakes are for stopping. You're stupid.

I'm not saying you shouldn't brake, just engine brake along side normal braking.

its supplementary you imbecile, of course you can still brake

The way you worded it with "vs" kinda sounded like one or the other, my bad.

this, I always slam my shitbox automatic into 1st or 2nd going down some steep hills along with braking

also weigh down your car, put some sandbags behind the front seats and keep your gas tank full

>1st
Nigga what are you doing?

sliding at 10mph down a hill trying to stop for the stop sign at the bottom

Oh, 10mph. That makes sense.

Why is the front corner of the car transparent? What long exposure fuckery is this?

(you)

You lucky fuck

We're stuck at 48F and we're gonna hsve near an inch of rain today... would've made such a good snowfall

Just dont make any sudden turns, its like riding a road bike on a sandy road

Threshold braking is better than computer abs.
Go ahead and do some tests if you want.
ABS is miserable in the snow.

Also if there is significant snow locking can be even better than threshold braking.

Engine braking is a miserable idea in the snow you fucking morons.
You shouldn't shift into nuetral, but your car already has factory set up brake balance. Engine braking will upset that balance, and if you're not extremely light on downshifts you can easily spin the wheels attempting to engine brake. You should not have high enough revs to significantly engine brake if you're slowing down in the snow.

Stop telling people these fucking lies. Engine braking isn't some magic form of slowing down that doesn't use your mechanical grip.
You go around telling soft cunts on this board to engine brake in the snow and you get fucking retards down shifting, spinning their tires, and slamming into walls.
DO NOT ENGINE BRAKE IN THE SNOW.

first post actually best post

winter tires

I need to get out of SoCal.
It's not even funny anymore.

Put some weight on yor drive axel for better traction unless the engine is on it.