nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10919272
youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY
strawpoll.me/13191380
youtu.be/_iQGoZqavFY
kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it was a mistake

Clean version of the trailer.

Comments, critique, feedback and thoughts appreciated.

youtube.com/watch?v=SrE4LwUWG_M

>try to dev
>its too fucking warm
>and its been so long since i last dev'd

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10919272

i like the atmosphere. i think it would go well with this piece.

youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY

step 1: buy a $300 floor a/c unit. Mine works wonders
step 2: just do it

Not enough progress in this thread.
How's this background look? Still readable and not too distracting?

It needs some good sound, but as it is it's pretty ominous. I'd maybe not do both the shots of the terminals and escape pods as they're pretty similar.

>Unity

i think its amazing. that heat wave distortion effect is on fucking point.

red ship on a red backround though, that may throw some people off.

strawpoll.me/13191380

we're settling this once and for all

too much red i doubt you can see your ship when action is going on, but if it's just for a cutscene then it's fine, how comes the ship doesn't have a trail/engine fire or any effect at all

horny pic kills the progress

I think it looks great. Doesn't seem distracting to me.

Progress Alert: Now I can save platforms and tiles I've added mid-game

>that one unity nigger
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Uggh I would lower the contrasr of the background, the red of the ship and the red of the background are too close. The background has to be darker.

Thanks anons. You can draw the hitbox in a series of colors and the player can be red/blue/green depending on the shot type, so that should help.

People are saying red ship on red background might be a problem but I think you'll be okay because the ship will be shooting stuff so the player will be tracing the shots back to the ship, consciously or subconsciously, anyways.

I hope you're not answering based on what you use, but what you think is better.

Doesn't the one imply the other?

That's pretty sweet, user, good job.

>those two unity niggers

>unity editor gives me cancer
>blueprints make me want to kill myself
I guess I'll just keep making 2D games for a while.

Just don't use blueprints. There you go, m8.

You'd be a fool to use UE4 without any blueprints

>You'd be a fool to use UE4 without any blueprints
Blueprints is just C++ code in a fancy editor. Really, you don't need it.

Great job, love the auto tiling

This might be a little overkill.

Yeah basically, it's a lot easier to feel the ship when your playing it than to keep track of it in a video, but I want to make sure both is possible.

Making textures, that's the real curse of game dev

so is smoothing normals

Why are you using Unity, again?

Adding sounds, how are they so far?
youtu.be/_iQGoZqavFY

apologize

You don't need them, but they make things easier.

I don't blame him, it took me about a month to realise you can press "smooth" to get smooth models.
And another one to realise you can use auto-smooth and sharp edges

You're making it extremely hard on yourself arbitrarily by avoiding blueprints. It's an engine and that's your scripting language, there's almost no way around touching blueprints unless you don't use the engine.

It's super comfy to program.

I'm talking about normals user

I said "smooth", not "smooth vertex"

maybe I don't want to?

You must be smoking some residue left over in the ash tray to make memepoly in UE4

FUCKING NORMALS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I like it a lot but I still think it could use more/different color. Or, put different color enemies or other objects on screen to provide color contrast. Not even for visibility necessarily but just because having everything on-screen shades of the same color isn't good visual design.

Maybe you should try it, since you don't seem to have a game.

they could a bit more character and the peak volume of a lot of them is pretty high
otherwise they're OK

because i'm not an AAA dev

>strawpoll.me/13191380
what a pile of garbage
where is "my own" option?

You have supported our Bokudev right? Right?
kickstarter.com/projects/2139542651/bokube

>nintendoshit
no

repost

trying out some more theonian models. it should be interesting when i get around to making more threatening ai with swords and guns.

make something with tentacles

Because with enough investment of money and time you can make it look good still.

i was going to make an enemy with a bunch of preying mantis arm like things on its back that it skewers the player with.

>racist, sociopath who can't take any criticism, adores nintendo, and only bashes asset store assets together into his billion poly scenes
no thanks

Unfocused lately haven't fixed grenade jumping or the camera.

not after those racist things he said in the discord

How is he a racist sociopath?

Because I don't have a huge team of people behind me. Just a solo dev.

Also, I like money and am doing this to make money.

Did you post the wrong webm?

That's cool too. But I mean it would just be funny to see some sloppy tentacles flapping around.
Or a mechanical Hydra.
But I'm not sure if it would fit the game

How did that first meme start

colors are too bright, they're raping my eyes

it started because unreal took a long time to actually become viable for very small teams. There really wasn't another option than Unity for quite a while

What meme? I've used Unity and Unreal; UE is definitely built for bigger teams. Unity's more solo friendly.

just as this user says

What dictates whether a program is for big or small teams?

Thanks anons, a level editor always seemed so daunting but now I feel like it's actually possible

Anything that slows you as a solo dev down is a negative. Anything that speeds you up as a solo dev is positive.

UE had to compile any changes I made, Kismet was useless, everything had to be cooked whenever I made any changes to the level whatsoever (because I use CSG mainly).

Unity meanwhile has very small relative compile times, doesn't require me to build the whole project any time I make changes, and all the changes I make to my maps are in realtime. Though it doesn't have Kismet - it does have Playmaker - which was superior at the time I compared the two.

>kismet

Old guy animations are done (except running) and his AI is ready, finally.

I added a global panic meter (HUD is clearly not finished) - scaring a non-target person doesn't end the game, but it increases the meter. If meter reaches a certain percent, enemies will spawn (at 30% security officer, at 50% guardian angel and at 80% ghostbuster). If it reaches 100% it's game over.

The goal was to complete the level in about 1 month and I think I can make it.

Kismet is the predecessor to BVS (Blueprint); what it was founded on.

>Unity's more solo friendly.
To a point. It also means you have to buy a ton of packages or write them yourself to even get a whiff of what UE4 offers out of the box. The solo-friendly cuts both ways in that you have to also engine dev or have a team with you to take it from unity capsule to finished product. While I enjoyed some aspects of scripting in C# I don't care for the language much and getting down with Blueprints isn't so bad. I think both engines can be suitable for solo dev and now more than ever UE4 is just as viable to learn with as Unity.

>anime protag

Also added 5 runes across all the level. If player discovers them (some are hidden behind painting, or in basement, or you need to destroy snowman first), it will spawn the Yeti.

Yeti can then attack your targets and help you kill them.

Visual aid for those who weren't around when Kismet was.

I was wondering why you are comparing the two.

More robot women games, please.

That's when I last used UE and contrasted it to Unity; thus the comparison.

>It also means you have to buy a ton of packages or write them yourself to even get a whiff of what UE4 offers out of the box
This is really why I stuck with UE4, as editors I find there is no comparison.
Unity (the company) have become so complacent and seem to rely entirely on the asset store to patch up the gaps they can't be bothered to fill. Not only does that save them actually having to make shit, they make money from people buying them.

The only downsides of UE I can see are slow compilation times of complex materials, level build times and 20+ minute time-outs when writing your own shaders (although after getting the hang of it you don't even need to edit engine code and just hack into existing shading models which is very easy). C++ projects with latest updates compile and hot-reload for me in under 15 seconds most indies won't need that anyway.
I've used Unity to deliver a project before and apart from the basics it was horrible. I felt like I was fighting the system when trying to make a UI.
Lets be honest - the only reason you are saying that Unity is better for a one-cell team is because it's so limited. All you have to do is stop getting distracted from the many tools UE provides you and focus only on what you need.

> felt like I was fighting the system when trying to make a UI.

I've never had a more pleasant time building UIs than with Unity. The big UI update in ... what was it, 4.6? Anyway, that big update has made Unity the engine I use if I want to make a game that has a lot of UI elements.

I just think Unreal is better because it has blueprints and I can't code

If you can competently use blueprints then you can code, you just haven't learned the syntax yet

Whole bunch of add-ons to Unity that add very competent visual scripting. Playmaker's the most popular and has compatibility with a crap ton of other plugins/add-ons.

I wouldn't have initially jumped ship to Unity if Playmaker hadn't existed because I couldn't figure out how the hell C# worked.

That's a useless and misleading comparison for anyone in here since Kismet is ancient.

>Ancient

It's only been 4 years since I last used it. I guess if that's 'ancient' now?

>a /bant/ shitposter has made a better game than all of /agdg/ combined
lol

Interesting. I worked on an older engine version - will check it out just to see how things are today for them, thanks.

>look ma, I'm trolling!

>unity building seems to freeze
>actually just takes 2 days to build all the way
>spend a whole day fucking with settings to find out why it's not working right
>uncheck auto generate in lighting window
>build takes about 1 minute
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Looking slick, this looks fun

UE4 has never had kismet

No prob. Hope you enjoy all the new bells and whistles - I sure do.

Give me an idea dammit.

>It also means you have to buy a ton of packages or write them yourself to even get a whiff of what UE4 offers out of the box
Like what? It's got everything you need to make any kind of game you have the ability to make.

If you're more comfortable with drag-and-drop "programming" than with traditional programming, then yeah maybe UE4 is a better fit for you.

What will the next jam be about and when is it happening?

October 2013. UnrealScript was being abandoned; Kismet was being touted as the next big thing. You're right that UE4 itself hasn't had it - but UDK did, which was for intents and purposes at the time 'UE4' because UE4 still wasn't open for public use to my recollection.

Or you can just get one of the big frameworks like I did and enjoy those. Playmaker and ORK can make games entirely in the Unity Editor, no script touching required.

>tfw wanted to just like make gem for 9 years now
>went through flash, xna, udk, unity, enginedev
>still no gem
life is pain

godot

It will be happening after Demo Day 15.
We'll decide on a theme eventually.