Is dohc is better than sohc, why not just do triple overhead cams?

Is dohc is better than sohc, why not just do triple overhead cams?

Because compression and combustion only require the valves to be closed, not in some other position.

If*
Where do I learn more about this

How did Honda get more HP out of their SOHC J series than Toyota did their DOHC V6s?

Some trick VTEC system that let a SOHC change timing and lift for both the intake and exhaust valves

It's subjective really.
The honda D16 engine is known to be able to take high amounts of boost and be built to be powerful.
DOHC engine equally, it doesn't really matter in my opinion.
You shouldn't cry if your car has a SOHC or DOHC both are good in their own terms.

Rocker geometry
No, and shut the fuck up
Pic related

Except the J series literally does have VTEC on both the intake and exhaust valves

add more valves

Why not just use 1 giant valve?

If you define the cam to be the set of lobes and not the cam shaft assembly then a DOHC with variable intake timing is TOHC since a second set of intake cams is used to vary the timing.

But that shit sounds dumb and everyone refers to the number of camshafts per cylinder head so you'll look like a 'tard if you go talking about it like that.

Does that mean VTEC in the Civic Si is actually quadruple overhead cams?

You'd need a secondary vale to differentiate between intake and exhaust.

Your engine cannot shit where it eats.

its been done.

>Anime poster

Tell that to 2 strokes

2 strokes suck and their only advantage is minor weight savings vs a comparable 4 stroke.

You're not wrong though.

First, look at this head. Do you see VTEC rockers for the fucking exhaust valves? Shut the fuck up.
Second, VTEC is not why the engine makes more power.
If you copied the vtec cam profile from the J and put the same cam profile in a Toyota GR engine, it will still make less power... And without vtec it'll idle like shit and low-rpm driveability will be shit, because it can't just turn off a solenoid and swap over to a low cam.
I don't have the patience to teach you anymore.

That and the fact that every stroke is a power stroke

but i clearly see valves in the head of the 2 stroke. 4 of them

The J37s used in Acuras actually do have VTEC on both the intake and exhaust

I don't have the patience to teach you anymore, gawd

And the acura j35's and J32's that fucking don't have vtec on the exhaust side still make the same 81 horsepower per liter...
Strange...
What you first said.
>Except the J series literally does have VTEC on both the intake and exhaust valves
What you are now saying...
>Well, this one specific J series does, and it doesn't make any extra power per liter, and the rest of the J's don't even have the system...
And your original statement still didn't answer the guy's original question correctly...

Holy 'tism

And the J37s used in the RL and TL with SH-AWD did actually make more power

stop arguing about fwd power like it matters

*drives away in a 4-speed automatic 1998 grand marquis*

i'm sorry you're stuck with such a shitbox, user-chan

Nyet

Ar15 is a piston internal to the bolt carrier.

An ag-42b or mas 49 would be examples of true DI.

triple overhead camshaft reporting in

Ian pls go

Im skipping many posts so maybe someone else answered it already:

More valves = more N/A power.

The AE86 had performance 5 valves per cylinder heads.

The reason why you cant go quadruple overhead cams or have many more than 4 cams per cylinder is mostly a deal about structural integrity (valves are surprisingly brittle compared to the rest of the head) And temperature (the more things bunched together the worse the heat radiation is).

Until we improve materials 4 valves per cylinder and sometimes 5 seems to be the best compromise between performance and reliability

by definition it is not a piston, but a sleeve. A piston moves within a cylinder, a piston is not a sleeve that moves over a pressurized pipe.

Get gud faget, also fuck yourself

what is asuka wearing

SOHC and DOHC both have different advantages and disadvantages

Heh
Hehehehe
Heheh

R E A L N I G G A H O U R S

Never heard of Desmodromic valvetrain?

Reminder that VTEC is literally for fuel economy and to cheat at emissions.
If all you care about is highest HP, you can take a normal like engine with normal cams that have the VTEC lobe profile, and you will make the same power without the complexity.

The AE86's original 4age engine had 4 valves per cylinder, the silver and black top versions of the 4age that came in later gens and other cars had 5 valves per cylinder

Id eat both and not the burger

VTEC is used to have fuel economy at low revs and power at high revs

Every daily a car with a race cam? They run like shit unless you're in the top 2000 rpm

The gas key is not in any fashion what I'm referring to.

The bolt and carrier form a short stroke piston.

True DI would have gas impinge only on the carrier.

Get fucked scrub.

>-

yeah but they'd run pretty rough at low rpms

You lose volumetric efficiency after the 5th valve due to valve size/flow/stem bullshit
And since you can dohc 5 valves why do you need more with no added benefits

Wrong
Higher thermal efficiency and higher specific power output due to self super charging

They died because no sealed carter therefore they burn oil

this. its a shame that the most we've done on a mass scale is 5. at least on cars.

>You lose volumetric efficiency after the 5th valve due to valve size/flow/stem bullshit
Incorrect. You make many smaller valves and get better efficiency than one big valve.

Its about thermal efficiency. Not enough heat is radiated if you have too many valves and the heat on the valves will fuck them up.

>And since you can dohc 5 valves why do you need more with no added benefits

Its not a practice to follow. Its a theory. "If 4 valves are better than 2 valves and 5 valves are better than 4 valves why not add more?"