ITT: Cars that got nothing but scolded over decades but are actually soild

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FxrWTZjtCXo
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjgz6n7FZU
youtube.com/watch?v=T4SR5fzO5Z4
youtube.com/watch?v=spYeV0dJSWg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's ridiculous how every faggot shit on the Vectra and 20 years later they're still getting whipped around in Eastern Europe with way over 400k on the clock with the same first engine.

The Vectra is, by almost every metric, fine. It's perfectly adequate, mechanically solid, inoffensive looks, comfortable ride, it's all perfectly fine.
It's just rust-prone and really boring to drive. It'll get you from A to B in decent comfort and won't leave you stranded, that's all it does.

The biggest problem is its predecessor, the Omega. That was still a pretty interesting car, because it was one of the few big RWD cars left in Europe. Its platform even went on to form the basis for the Holden Commodore in Australia, pretty much becoming the quintessential hoonmobile.
The Vectra was the exact opposite of that, and as a result it got shunned by enthusiasts.

>predecessor, the Omega.
The Omega though was a class above the Vectra.
They just got rid of it earlier and later combined both into the Insignia

Fried egg headlights, no more air cooling and very bulbous and plastic-heavy interior. HERESY.
Also IMS bearings.

The W210 seems to be a completely mixed bag.

I heard lots of problem stories but on the other hand also lots of praise, especially from Taxi drivers I asked.

The good old 206, the beginning of Peugeot's downfall.
I still see tons of these around, so they must be doing something right.

1st gen s40/v40 20 years old and still many around

I see very few of those compared to how many there were around in the mid 00s.

I see quite a few of these around, including Voyagers and a few other 90s and 00s Chrysler products. This in Europe mind you, where Chrysler didn’t even sell that many cars.

>tfw drive a 15 year old Astra with over 400k on it.
>still get Opel jokes

These are my favorite Porsche's desu.

I'd rather have one than a new 911

georgia caucasus here, these two are all around decent cars. both will do what they are supposed to do, ive seen more of these lately than any of ever will. if thinking about one just go for it. also same era clk benz is damn amazing too,

we have tons of w124s running beyond 500km on odometer

I do enjoy the looks and the performance, but that interior is abysmal for a Porsche.

The W210 is better and more reliable with less features, hence why cabbies love it but people who bought a kitted out one for themselves hate it.

Yeah, the interiors are god-awful. But goddamn , especially the 996 turbo, is fucking god-tier appearance wise

I'll keep saying this, the more vents, wings and splitters, the better a 996 looks. The GT2 is easily the most aggressive and best looking 996 imo.

As for the interior, there's always extended leather.

Also the 996 is probably my favorite driving water-cooled Porsche. This may sound stupid, but they got too good. They lost a lot of character in the subsequent generations. That said, I haven't driven any of the RS versions, just the the Carreras and the Turbos.

Wasn't the 996.1 the last 911 to use throttle-by-cable too?

Yeah, these basically disappeared overnight here in the UK

They're still pleb mobiles user

t. Base model used BMW owner

>Projecting this hard

For some reason it is a great car normie meme to bash Opel all the fucking time. They genuinely think it is cool to talk shit about it.

That brand did a lot wrong but so did others and others get away with it, interestingly.
There are many Opels that are still on the road and daily'd without problems but no one talks about that while old barebone VW Polos are ~so cool~

Despite being vagshit, these are decent cars. Adequate at most things, but not exceptionally good at anything. Expect to change the front linkages every few years.

it's solidly bland and uninteresting, the sort of car people who don't like cars buy.

Did you mean to post a B5 A4/B5 Passat/C5 A6?

old opels are massively underrated and ironically east europeans finally show what the cars are capable of many years after the end of the product life circle.

youtube.com/watch?v=FxrWTZjtCXo

The C20XE is a fucking legendary 4 cylinder, people always forget all the cool shit Opel did for some reason.

This might be a good thing, at least i know my chosen brand of shitbox wont face a fate worse than the wreckers.

>staying on the gas
>shifting
>braking
>at the same time

Does that guy additionally utilize his dick to operate this car?

Yeah, forgot to attach pic

I want to build a stupid sleeper Passat someday. S4 drivetrain bolts right in on the V6 AWD versions and can be boosted to hell and back, then add muffler bypass valves, unpainted base model bumpers, a tiny fake tailpipe and 1.6 badging to top it all off.

Tis is what happens when you have to race Ladas for most of your life. Gotta take the most out of what you got.

What a fucking madman

Toyota Avalons are damn solid cars for next to no money

330,000 kms and 4 years of paddock abuse still derivable

Indeed they were.

This looks like something you'd see from an early 3D GTA game

They don't do well in accidents, especially against german and swedish cars.

Old opels are not underrated in Europe, it's pretty common knowledge that they used to be ballin.

Not in Germany and England.
There they're fucking despised but people still bought them for commuting.

This one.

Fuck, wrong pic.

Whats the deal with bongs jumping on Fords dick and hating Vauxhall? I find that Ford has made just as many turds, if not more.

Pic related?

When I lived in Azerbaidjan I saw them everywhere. Them and W202s

even by hue market standard this thing was atrocius

Ausfag here we consider them one of the worst Holden cars ever made.

We literally just kept making the omega b until alpha zeta platform was killed off this year.

Pic related

Hang on ausfag here too. Im not sure if Euro models had different motors but here they are notoriously unreliable. The blocks were prone to cracking. Every one I have seen was on a replacement motor and everyone that was in the wreckers was there because the block was cracked.

As for the Astra (2002) I had the luck of owning one. ECU failed twice, cost a fortune each time as parts for them are expensive here and it required a special Holden tool to reprogram the keys. Manual window cables snapped multiple times and coil packs were prone to fucking out too.
Both the Vectra and Astra felt very solid though, im sure thats what tricked everyone into buying them in the first place.

This I'm pretty sure we got different engines.

The euros and Yanks only got the paltry 3.0 v6 whereas we got the 3800 and ls1

As for the vectra nfi but it would make sense and I do remember someone saying the engines differed

They made LS-powered Omega prototypes, but either the flex plate exploded during full-blast Autobahn driving or the cooling system couldn't cope, depending on who you ask, so it never made production.

Then you madmen got your hands on the platform and shoved an LS into it right away.

Yeah I read that too fortunately my manual t56 has no problems.

But the 4l60e blew up so that part is true haven't had any cooling problems even with 30-60 degree weather

>KA mk1
>turd

Explain all the students in my area still driving them then.

C H E A P
H
E
A
P

I will always remember my vectra fondly, I had 2.2 ecotec SRI 150 from 16k miles to 230k miles.
Its only owners with the boat anchor v6 or a diesel who complained about handling because they had too much weight up front.

I think they look quite nice and I actually like them more now than I did back then

Heel and toe, m9

I like the aero look, it looks somewhat like a saloon version of the Calibra

>a saloon version of the Calibra
It basically was exactly that, they're on the same platform.

ah, old opels... the best thing gm did in south aberica was bringing every opel and rebadge as chevrolet. From early 70s to mid 2000s. Good times.
Look at this glorious motherfucker. GOAT C20XE.

HOLY FUCK It's been literal decades the last time I saw a facelift Vectra A this mint.
Strange feel.

The V6 engine is garbage though

>The V6 engine is garbage though
elaborate

Vauxhall/Opel is the quintessential chav brand in the UK, I'd say most of the hate comes from that.

The Vectra was FWD though...

fun fact. The Vectra B was sold in America from 2000 to 2005 as the Saturn L-series.

ayy

Literally nothing wrong with it.

It isn't a mk2 but with the slow 2.0l 8v it's an incredibly fun reliable car to thrash around

Stuff like oil sludging, chain wear issues, and the fact that the oil cooler (which is buried under the multi-layer inlet manifold) is prone to corroding, letting coolant mix with the oil.

did not know that

how did the yanks like them? Aussies hate them.

And this is exhibit fucking A I guess. In fact I also own a Corsa Si that I'm restoring, mind you way more tame mods wise than pic related, but I notice I still get the barry boys stigma thrown at me anytime I talk to a britbong.
As far as I can tell though, it doesn't carry outside the UK. Over here for instance, Opels are all left alone, and instead your average chav/guna jerks it to anything that has a TDi in it. You know something has gone horribly wrong when their idea of racing is standby still over who makes the most soot.

This, there is literally nothing wrong with the 2.slow.

>T U R B O 4 x 4
This makes me rock hard.

GM from here never managed to top that ever since.
SA Cruze and Cobalt are fucking disgraces.

>ay over 400k on the clock
IZUSU ENGINES

Thing is the interior hold up really well, it doesn't fall apart

Only the diesel engines are Isuzu user. Petrols are an Opel design, and while the Ecotec engines tend to eat head gaskets, the older Family 1 engines (i.e. C20XE) last just as long. In fact, when I bought the Corsa I mentioned in I went out of my way to find a good condition pre'94 one for this reason, and a friend of mine owns a '89 Corsa 1.4 GT of the same engine series with 520000Km.

fug...

Why did it have to look so ayy lmao?
I kinda think it would have been way more successful if it was the original European Vectra design.
Why do they think Burgers want this kind of design?

Might be the best sold chrysler of the last 20 years

>Passat
Are mid 2000's passat pretty solid or do they need a lot of maintenance?

Early ones are prone to issues, later ones (especially facelift models) are decent.
Electronics will probably fuck up at some point though.

They are literal rustbuckets. This killed this Merc.
And it is so barebones and dated its laughable.

It's still being produced to this day. All the way from 1998.

It was meh. The 2.2L Ecotec I4 engine is unkillable. The 3.0L V6 is trash though.

the 90s Fiesta is a solid car

you still see lots of them in the roads today

because you can trade them for the dust in your pockets and they can be be insured just by giving pic related to an insurance company
t. student

It was modified to fit into Saturns line up. Saturn cars were overbuilt plastic shitboxes. The front fenders and all 4 door skins were redesigned to be made of dent-resistant plastic.
Saturn was also known for being pretty ballsy when attacking the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, often keeping Accords and Camry's on the lot so customers could compare them side by side.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjgz6n7FZU
youtube.com/watch?v=T4SR5fzO5Z4

And they even did it with the L-series successor
youtube.com/watch?v=spYeV0dJSWg

I own one of these. The powertrain is the best part about the car. Engine runs fantastic at 144k miles, transmission shifts smooth if im not flooring it. The suspension design is really shitty though. Front end cant take a lot of abuse, my car shouldnt be shifting from side to side on the freeway when im not even at 150k. Inner and outer tie rods have maybe 2 thousand miles, no change. Suspecting the steering rack but idk, fuck it. Going on a 600 mile road trip in a couple weeks so we'll see how that goes.

Dont even get me started on the rear suspension. Its a "fixed" design so it cant be aligned. Every single l series saturn you see on the road has excessive rear toe and camber. The only way to fix it is with alignment shims which are a pain in the ass and frankly not worth it on an old saturn.

The interior is just embarassing. The plastic is so cheap and it rattles like crazy, espescially when its cold.

Wouldnt recommend buying one unless all youre looking for is a reliable engine and you dont care about anything else. But that only applies to the 4cyl, stay far away from the v6

That said, I've only worked on australian ones; they might survive better in climates that aren't as harsh.

Is this a southern thing?
Here in the north ford is the chav brand, every council estate twat and gypsy have either a transit, focus or a fiesta.
Wetting themselves over an ST.

Here on the mainland its usually BMW, or Audi.

You know what?
The rx8
There, I said it
It's a genuinely good car, fun as fuck, handles godly, can fit your friends/family and is the most reliable rotary you can buy
thank to retards it also can be had for 3-5k for a clean model and if you're not mentally impaired you can rebuild it yourself in a couple hours, should it crap out

automatic is shit tier

I think the hate for the mk3 is that it's so much uglier than both mk2 and mk4

>most reliable rotary you can buy
It's underrated, sure, but the NA FB's and FC's are without a doubt far more reliable when maintenance is kept up with.

I know that's the 6000. But weirdly and beyond comprehension I still see Celebrity's on the road in Canada.

My uncle had one for 15 years and he drove it everywhere.

I have one, engine literaly wont die even though it has taken quite some abuse, repairs have been pretty minor things too, its strangely fun on the twisties but that might just be me never driving a better car