Move from texas to alberta

>move from texas to alberta
>have to buy winter tires now
>get a quote, $1300 leaf dollars not including labor
what the fuck
fuck this, I should have never left texas

Why would you move from texas to canadian texas?

Why did you go where there's cold? You had it all user, no road salt and no truly cold climate!

>salt
Mistake

To be a best cuck aka a leaf

>what is tirerack
>what is ordering tires straight to your front door
>what is putting your own tires on your car

It takes less than an hour and you can get your winter tires delivered on steelies so you can swap them quickly when winter rolls in.

You're going to love it here when it hits -35

i ask myself every day

There was a fucking blizzard yesterday and it's only the start of October.

Which part? Calgary here.
The snow yesterday wasn't that bad for us really, I was just worried retards would crash and jam up all the roads.

Alberta is pretty nice, at least your not in Ontario user.
t. Albertan trapped in Ontario

Calgary too.
Thankfully my shift started at 6 AM that day so I missed the inevitable traffic jams

Why did you move to Canada you fucking idiot? I have no sympathy for you and you deserve every bad thing that happens to you?

>salt
>in alberta

When I lived in alberta they never used salt. You had to use sand, because road salt stops working at under -20 C

The fuck are you buying? Blizzaks?

Get some general altimax arctics for like $100/tire if you're a poorfag

day of the rake when?

What type of vehicle do you drive? An SUV or truck or anything 4000lbs or more technically doesn't """"need"""" winter tires. Yeah they're really nice to have but if you got enough weight and drive carefully you'll be fine.

Oh they still use fucking salt alright. It's Magnesium Chloride which might as well be sulfuric acid. Puddle's when it's -25 wooooo. Just rust my shit up.

Is it really that bad if you buy all weather tires?

>Kijiji

He probably needa massive tires for his pick up

>unironically falling for the snow meme

At least they don't throw salt in there snow there to rust the fuck out of your car.

That's like literally five US dollars poorfag.

*their snow

It depends on what you drive; but winters are typically better; especially when it is icy.

Yes they do. That's why you can't find a Mazda 3 without rusty wheel arches.

Below a certain temperature the salt literally does nothing.

>>get a quote, $1300 leaf dollars not including labor
The fuck are you driving?

Driving on snow is fun, driving on salted roads is horrible. I'd rather winter tires were mandated or gravel was used instead than have to worry about my car decaying and getting filthy.

Which is why they use MgCl and gravel. It still melts fine at -30.

Trust me you really don't want them to use gravel. Unless you want to replace your windshield every year.

Goes down to -40 here some days.

>1300 bucks for some winter tires
you can get an entire car that already has winter tires on it for that much. youre getting jebaited my man

>An SUV or truck or anything 4000lbs or more technically doesn't """"need"""" winter tires.
yes they do. weight isn't magically going to improve your traction on slicks on snow. you need something that'll bite in properly. too many faggots with welded diffs spin their shit out constantly in montreal, i can only imagine alberta is worse (and edmonton would be literally worse than frozen hell)

I've driven in extreme winter conditions for many many years. Winter tires aren't a need (at all). They do help, yes, but there's literally no replacement in the winter for understanding your vehicle's limits and adjusting your driving accordingly.

how do you balance the tires yourself though??

Drive a 5 ton or a big semi truck in winter sometime. They can rail the shit out of ice and snow with their rock hard tires at 120psi.

RWD's are almost useless unless you load up the trunk with lots of weight. Even with a welded or locking diff you're still going to spin.

Almost everybody uses a seperate set of steelies or their stock wheels for their winter tires. It's a matter of swapping the wheels and tires which is too much of an ordeal for most people. So they wait in line for 3 hours to have their winter wheels and tires put on.

Not in Alberta, they use a sand mixture on icey patches and that is it.

no offense to op but
>an american moving to alberta
probably not exactly Colin McRae

It's thrown down for the same reason gravel or ashes are. It works the same way even if it doesn't melt shit, so why bother switching based on the weather?

Some municpalities even do MAXIMUM MADMAN shit and use a mixture of gravel and salt right from the first dusting of snow. It's nasty as fuck but I guess it saves them the couple cents worth of work of switching what they're using depending on how cold it is and keeping multiple stocks of stuff that deplete at different rates.

Good.
This whole winter tire craze in recent years... I'd honestly rather see an inexperienced driver stuck in his driveway spinning his crappy all season tires than plowing through a bunch of school children because they were able to accelerate confidently

that was a comfy drive
It could be (((dealership))) shenanigans. $1300 sounds about right for what our dealerships charge fore new winter tires for cars newer than 2008

>$1300 sounds about right for what our dealerships charge fore new winter tires for cars newer than 2008
What the fuck? I just ordered four new Nokian 225/55/16 tires for an Audi A4 at a dedicated tire dealership. Including mounting, balancing, trashing the old tires and putting them on the car they charged 520€.

Because those are baby tires. Go on tirerack and look what SUV or truck tires cost. More rubber, More moolah.

My normalfag friends got a quote for new winter tires for their 2012 Corolla and they were given a quote of $1250.
I'm 90% sure it's TPMS sensors inflating the prices.

>what are cheap chinese flea market tires
come on OP stop pretending to be rich

That's probably including the steelies @ $70 a piece and Memetrogen which some places charge hundreds for.

Most of those used tires have been sitting in people's garages for years and are all dry and rotted. You'd almost be better off on fresh all seasons.

Get extended coverage through MPI and you may be able to qualify for the winter tire program. Which gives you those tires basically for free, comes out every month with your insurance.

shoo shoo tire jew