Later this year (read:December) I'd like to start an E38 740i project as a winter time build. Start with a clean...

Later this year (read:December) I'd like to start an E38 740i project as a winter time build. Start with a clean, stock example, then replace the exhaust, add on a new clear coat, new wheels, suspension, etc. From what I've read these cars are super reliable once you take care of the common issues (there's about seven different things, nothing too bad) and they're super comfortable on the road. But my only concern is whether to go with large wheels and thin tires, or thicker sidewalls for a more comfortable ride.

But what do you think of the sound?

youtube.com/watch?v=SS3_3Wck8Dg

Other urls found in this thread:

meeknet.co.uk/e38/BMW_E38_Common_Problems.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

for what goal? i barely remember these when they were new. i kind of remember the jaguars driving better (of the same year). all that stands out in my mind years later is the weird armrest they had

>for what goal

Just for something slightly unique, comfortable, and powerful for the price. A good example is about $8000 plus another $3000 in replacing various plastic bits like the radiator and timing chain guides and interior bits. Add in $2000 for new tires all around with contemporary suspension and you've got a great car.

>spending $13,000 to make people think you are too poor for a new 7 series

Top lel

>caring about other people
Lmfao

It's not worth it. Don't ruin a clean e38 with your shitty mods. Keep it stock faggot.

>or spending $13000 for a car that's still super comfortable and has a strong engine

there are other comfier and faster cars for 13k.

>I've read these cars are super reliable once you take care of the common issues

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

> find an unmolested example of arguably one of the most beautiful cars ever made
> molest it

Such as? Mind you that's $13k after all repairs are done

The parts that commonly break are parts that are made from bad plastic. Replace those with sturdier materials and there's nothing to worry about.

hate to break it to you but the engine isn't made of plastic.

Something like this is what I've got as my end goal. Except in white or black and with wheels that are light gray

Plenty of room for suspension travel, simple 5-spoke wheels, and (most importantly) tires/brakes made for daily driving

That looks like shit. Are you a non-white?

Sounds pretty shit, only sounds good for like a second before shifting up. VEEATES just sound like trash usually.

What a shit mindset to have hahahah

If everyone thought like you, there'd only be 10 models of cars bought. Perhaps OP wants an E38 740i?

no, an XJ8
you know the supercharged one.
yeah its more posh than the E38

meeknet.co.uk/e38/BMW_E38_Common_Problems.htm

>replace radiator, fan, and burst hose (all plastic) ($200)
>replace PCV valve ($65)
>clean up spark plugs or change rocker seal gasket
>replace ABS controller ($580)
>replace timing chain guides ($900 for a kit and 10-15 hours of labor)

Ok cool? OP wants an E38.

Saying there are "faster/comfier/better" cars for [price] is a completely stupid argument on a car enthusiast board.

Keyword enthusiast. OP likes E38s, again.

op hasnt driven any of them, therefore has no argument until he actually test drives then and learns he actually "likes them"
you cant like a car from style alone.

jesus you take this too seriously.

I thought about an XJR. And they're great cars when you find the right model (2003 or 2004, 04 is better because aluminum) but they're not specifically better or more well equipped than a 740i.

Get an xjr 100 and keep it stock. Keep the miles low and it'll appreciate in value.

Mercedes s600/55 amg

nah you're just a neg bitch lol

An AMG is like 3 times the price for insurance. And honestly I don't want forced induction.

why do you think that looks like shit?

A 40-50 sidewall would be good

late 90ies and on BMW
>strong engine
>please inform us on how much every piece of shit thats broken on it costs even if you diy which I doubt.

user, in case you are not retarded, I will give you a tip- any luxury car is for rich people. It doesn't matter if it's 30 years old, if something breaks, and it will, you will be shitting bricks when you get the invoice for parts.
Also depends where you live, in europe bmw are usually driven to their limit in a bad way by gypsies and polacks, and european cars are very barbie-like. It's not like american/japanese cars where you change a belt 20k miles later and its ok. You change the oil fucking 1k miles later and thats already minus 20k for the engine.

I imagine he is a slav/eastern european.

there's so much information on how to repair these things and how to find parts, it makes these things brainless to own as long as you're willing to part ways with some cash

i'm a white american

If you are willing, go ahead.
My bad it's just a slav thing to do to old mercs and bimmers in europe, to go for the 90ies modern look instead of retro. E.g. white turnsignals on a w124 merc, e32-34 bmw, or even BLACK ONES.

New tranny is 7k.

T. Doesn't know what he's talking about
If your tranny goes out then you'd just replace it with an e39 6 speed, and improve the shit out of the car. That would cost at most 2k, for the entire swap. A new (pre owned) e38 transmission is only like 500-1000 anyways

My friends mother bought one new. Dealer serviced, granny driven, etc. Perfect condition, but sold it at 110k because it's too expensive once shit
breaks. I don't know why you would buy a used tranny either, it won't last for shit either. Basically this.

Buy used and get it refurbished

read
>when shit breaks
is like $500-1000 for most people. the most expensive thing is that the engine could grenade if you don't watch out for the timing guides

Super, buy a 20ish year old car and enjoy replacing literally everything 500-1k at a time. They are cheap for a reason.

Jags of the era have horrible reliability.
If you think an old 7 series is bad a Jag will be fucking awful.

Except not fucking everything is going to break at one time you retard. Why are you even commenting in this thread if you have no idea what you're talking about? What fucking getrag 420g has grenaded anywhere below 300k? If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that so many of the maintenance costs were because of shitty plastic oem parts by bmw, and OP plans to replace those (and so do literally any other bmw enthusiast) just fuck off dude, you're a fucking fool

>XJ8
potentially-expensive time bomb

e38 looks way better

The common issues are pretty well sorted. Not to mention it has a timing chain, mechanical suspension, etc. Really the only things that can go wrong are with the cooling and a select few other bits. I posted above the problems that need to be addressed as preventative maintenance...but obviously you're an E38 expert who knows of other -specific- problems

Go ahead it's your $17k

ruined, it looks like a turkmobile
if you also make the exhaust louder you have removed everything that makes the 7series a 7series from this car.
at least you are not ruining an e32

Oh how sacrilegious. I'll shed a single tear for you

but bmw is bad because of the memes

$9k for a clean example
$1k for tires
$800 for the timing guide
$300 for ABS controller
$40 for PCV
$400 to rebuild the front suspension

It's a lot cheaper than people think. But to take a used model and renovate it is just time consuming.

He wants a new tranny, paint, exhaust, tires, and rims. And new front struts alone are $200 each, you are way underestimate prices, f a m.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Who wants a new tranny? Some random guy on Veeky Forums?

And I'm the OP. Wheels are $2k, exhaust is $1k, and suspension is $1.5k for all four corners

>add on a new clear coat
Nigga what
It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about. Drive a shitbox for a few years and then think about a e38

Go away. Don't you guys have gtrs and corvettes to argue about.

>super reliable once you take care of the common issues
reliable cars are the ones that don't have "common issues"

Name a car with no common issues