Guys

Guys,

How do you manage the grind? Do you guys work more than 50 hours a week? I do and it's killing me.

I average probably 70 hrs a week. 80 and 90 hr weeks aren't super uncommon. Get on my level scrub.

I don't believe u. Post schedule.

I don't have a set schedule. I normally work 5-6 days a week though, hours per day vary a good bit. Every now and then I'll have an easy week of only 50 hours or so

uh huh. What? Self employed?

I smoke weed every day and once a month I take my coworker to the strip club

i've been working 6 12's for the last 8 months or so. i drink a pint of liquor ever day during my 2-3 hours of free time. i like to think this is temporary.

2-3 hours of freetime, huh?

you know whats even more sickening is how i think about work on my day off. i look at my bank account and think id rather be earning. i was neet for years and i dont miss it

I got out and started a business. Thank God for that. Now I work about 25 hours a week.

Don't listen to these guys, it's this mentality that warps people into taking pride in their slavery

yea boi

that's nice. somebody has to make the money for the neetbux

>be uni student
>work part time
>bliss for usual 4 day weekends
>work full time
>want to kill myself everyday

Why shouldnt i get on welfare i hate working i dont mind my job but i hate working. Fuck waking up at 8am and having an hour spare every day free.

>tfw i could have been registered as an autist with dyslexia in uni but didnt
I regret the NEETBUX

I work in EMS as a Field Supervisor and EMT.

We work a 48/96, so my shortest week is 48 and every few rotations we have two 72 hour weeks in a row. But there is a lot of overtime available and I tend to work it because our call volume is low so the work is pretty easy.

Call-in pay is 2.5x your pay, so I try to make at least 12 hours of that every check, about 6-8 hours a week. I also have meetings I have to come in for, but that's like 3 hours a week every now and then.

I also have two small side businesses which take about 10 hours a week to handle, and I work as a Firefighter/EMT seasonally for a resort community in the winter which is 16-24 hours a week.

None of it is particularly difficult, just time consuming. And I like the people I work with which makes it better. I kind of abide by the concept of making hay while the sun shines. I could exist on just my standard hours at my main job, but the opportunity was there to have more, so I'm taking it for now while its there and while I'm capable.

In return we are paying things off quickly and will then be making mega investments, and I told my wife she could quit her job so I can have more time with her on my ~4 days off and so our child doesn't become a latchkey kid like I was. Overall, I'm happy with it.

It's not uncommon in Fire and EMS for guys to work 2, 3 jobs. Most have it WAY harder in terms of hours and work for WAY less than I am making. I've also worked jobs that are WAY harder physically. So in a way I guess I feel blessed in my circumstance and I would be remiss to neglect that.

One becomes known by their actions and attitude. Just recently my first ever employer called me and offered me seasonal work at $20 an hour because he knows I'm reliable and hard working. If there were more hours in the day I would have, but I already have my obligations and a man must sleep.

So much do you work in a year on average as an EMT and how much do you make a year from being an EMT

I should also mention anything over 40 at my main job is 1.5x pay for overtime.

Last year I made 68ish and this year I should be high 70s if not 80s because of the promotion, but I definitely am putting in long hours to get it.

I sometimes wonder if I should've gone the college route. But to make what I am making now I would probably have had to spend at least 6 years and tons of money in school. Thinking of the experiences I've had recreationally, I think I prefer this route. That long in the college system would have been smothering; I enjoy learning but 2 years was long enough. I would like to go back honestly and finish a 4 year for the heck of it, but I don't really plan on leaving my present field. It would be more of a backup plan in case local politics or a budget crisis fucks me over (another reason I have three 'extra' jobs).

Understand that my situation is extremely unusual.

As an EMT my minimum commitment averages to like 56 hours a week. EMT pay at my agency starts at about $11/hr base rate. When it's all said and done if you just work those hours I think they make about 30k give or take. It honestly blows.

That said, we offer small differentials for extra duties like scheduling manager or inventory manager. My scheduling guy is available almost 24/7 for the 2.5x call in pay; he made 70k last year.

Here's the part that's unusual: I'm a Field Supervisor as an EMT. Most people in my spot are Paramedics, and if you consider EMS as a career, plan on going all the way to Paramedic. Paramedics here make 50ish, 13-14 an hour starting. We are also a publicly funded agency.

As a Captain my base rate is 16.16. After 40 hours I'm at 24.24, at call-in pay I'm 40.40.

Again this is all very unusual. Most people who are just EMTs (not fire dept, not Paramedics) are stuck working for AMR or a small private service making less per hour and doing 5x the work. Where I run maybe 4-8 calls in a 24 hour period, a busy system will run 10 calls in a 12 and they are abused to shit.

As an EMT you have at least two of the following career goals:

1. Advance to Paramedic
2. Get hired at a county-funded service
3. Get hired at a fire department

Usually it's 1 + 2 or 1 + 3. There are so many EMT's applying for fire jobs its not even worth it. People who actually like being Paramedics will go for #3 since Fire doesn't actually give a shit about patient care, and the really good ones who aren't afraid of helicopters will become FPCs- Flight Paramedics.

My season fire dept. job is 15 an hr from ~December to ~April.

>People who actually like being Paramedics will go for #3 since Fire doesn't actually give a shit about patient care

Sorry, had a few beers. Obviously I meant they will go for #2, since Fire doesn't give a shit about patient care.

What kind of business?

I started a vending business with a focus on workplace micro markets. Kind of capital intensive but its reliable and has a low hour input. We have a few big employers around here and my goal is to get at least two thirds of them as clients for my micro markets.

I work about 80 hours a week right now, full time cook and part time hotel manager.
Even two years ago things were better - we had five servers, four cooks, four or five bartenders, and a few people we could call to bounce. We were never super busy, but more staff meant rotations and days off.
I'm lucky to get a day off a month now, and one of the other cooks is working about 70 hours with me so we can let the guy on salary go home early so he only winds up putting in 60 hours on a 40 hour salary.
I like the other cooks and want to fire most of the other staff but can't get anyone to replace them. I've been planning my way out for a while, we're just working on convincing the head cook to move on first for his own good.

That sounds awful user. Is all kitchen work like that?

>salary guy

Good god. I know several people who are salary employees in management positions and it seems like the worst deal ever. They routinely have weeks and months on end where their pay is diluted with 60+ hour weeks and other shit their companies schlep on to them.

People talk about being salary like it's some kind of goal but I can't see the benefit. If you're not paying me when I'm not there hourly you don't get to run my life. And if you do call me in, you have to pay me more.

>That sounds awful user. Is all kitchen work like that?
It's not all bad, and like I said we used to be rolling in staff. Back when I started here in 2003 we had eight cooks on rotation. But people moved on, others stepped up so less staff was necessary, and somewhere we got to where we are with too much work for too few people.
>>salary guy
>Good god. I know several people who are salary employees in management positions and it seems like the worst deal ever. They routinely have weeks and months on end where their pay is diluted with 60+ hour weeks and other shit their companies schlep on to them.
When he took the deal it was great for him - he was only putting in 30 hours for 40 hours pay usually, plus there were cash bonuses once upon a time. Those became "take an RRSP loan and the company will pay it" bonuses that nobody fell for, and the since nobody wanted bonuses...

>People talk about being salary like it's some kind of goal but I can't see the benefit. If you're not paying me when I'm not there hourly you don't get to run my life. And if you do call me in, you have to pay me more.
That's what I told the owner when he offered me salary over an hourly pay raise. I was then told I work too much for them to afford a raise, but he caved eventually because you can't really threaten to replace someone if you can't hire anyone already.
He got the last laugh when i believed him that taking the managerial duties would get a raise - it'll be three years of talking around it come May.

>He got the last laugh when i believed him that taking the managerial duties would get a raise - it'll be three years of talking around it come May.

That's pretty rotten. My wife worked as a low-level supervisor unofficially for about two years. We're planning her exit from work altogether for later this year and I'm trying to talk her in to not giving them two weeks notice since it would actually fuck them over pretty bad.

Glad you're working on a way out. I think those guys get whats coming to them in the end, they kind of dig their own grave. There was a rock & concrete company here for a while that was super abusive of its employees and would take advantage of even their most dedicated guys. He now has a lawsuit and a host of MSHA safety violations against him and I think is about to go out of business as a result.