News : Next Audi R8 is Supposedly powered by a Twin Turbo V6

The rumored TT-V6 could make over 500hp according to this Road and Track Article

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a30830/audi-r8-panamera-v6/

From the article -

"We first learned from Autocar last year about Audi's plan to use the 2.9-liter V6 found in the new Panamera 4S, Audi RS4 Avant, and Audi RS5 to power its flagship supercar. Autocar now reports the engine could make over 500 horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of torque in the R8.

The 2.9-liter V6 is a 90-degree unit based on the Volkswagen Group's new 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 found in the Panamera Turbo. In its current most powerful form, the engine makes 450 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque in the RS4 and RS5."

Downsizing is cancer

>People say the NSX is shite
>Audi is one step closer towards making their own NSX
lmao! all that's needed is a Hybrid and all Electric announcement.

And it will still look exactly the same as every Audi R8 before it. See you next year!

And people will eat it up

>another company resorts to copying Ford with their flagship supercar

That's just a copy of this

A much shittier copy of that that doesn't want to compete.

Had the record for the highest top speed and fastest lap around the hurrdurring for a production car before you were born kiddo

>next R8 is powered by V6

I assume this will just be the basic bitch spec, and either the V8 will go or there will be a V8 and a V10 option, as opposed to just having the V10 option before.

If they offer the V6 twin turbo with RWD (don't know if the RWD R8 was just a limited edition or something they're thinking of introducing) it might be pretty cool and will probably offer a neat alternative to cars like the Cayman.

No, i'm talking about nu-male GT. of course the XJ is cool.

You're damn right it is

>R8
>alternative to the Cayman
You're thinking about the TT

>engine in front of the front axle
>somehow competing with mid engined layout

insert [doubt] picture here

If the R8 V6 is cheap enough it'll compete. Otherwise it won't. I think it'd be kinda dumb to introduce a 500 hp V6 next to the 540 hp V10. Better to make it around 400 like the old V8 was, in my opinion.

>overpriced Beetle with optional Haldex """"AWD""""
I'll stick with the mid-engined RWD sports cars, thank you very much.

Even the basic bitch R8 is a 6 figure car and competes more with the 9111 than the Cayman
The Cayman starts at almost half of that and price wise competes with the TT

I'm not saying the TT is good. In fact is till baffles me why people would spend that kind of money on it when the Cayman exists

Don't mind me, just posting the best 4 cylinder turbo mid-engined sports car on the market today.

Yeah true, maybe it was just wishful thinking.
Totally agree on the TT, I have no fucking idea what the point of that car is. The old one made some sense as sort of quirky alternative car for architects or whatever, but the newer TTS and even worse the TTRS are just retarded.

>strip out the interior and make it uncomfortable because "driver's car"
>automatic only
What a waste

The Alfa is really cool and I desperately wanted it to be good but the gearbox is pretty shit, the engine noise leaves a lot to be desired and it's sooo fucking uncomfortable. There's outrageous amounts of wind- and mechanical noise, the seats feel like they weren't made for human bodies, there's absolutely no storage inside and the stereo sucks balls.

Yeah why would anyone want more power and less weight?

Seriously, if I wanted a car that looked like an R8 and had a V6 I'd just get an NSX. At least it'd be reliable.

Before anyone gets on my ass about Audi copying Honda instead, I'm aware of the sprocket and dnx. I just wanted to make a joke.

It's about feel. Sure the new Caymans are *technically* better than the old ones, but they sound like fucking Subarus

Maybe you should try driving cars instead of shitposting and benchracing?

The 4C is special. It's flawed, and its flaws are what gives it character.
It was made by people who love cars, who love driving, for people who love cars and love driving.

So basically you're saying you'd take exhaust note over car performance? To each his own I guess.

Most people would. It's why most other supercars outsell the GTR by a vast margin even if they technically perform worse

Damn thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner

It's not always that simple.

>The Valkyrie's most likely competitor, the Mercedes-AMG Project One, uses a 1.6-liter turbocharged F1-derived V6. Interestingly, Newey too thought about six-cylinder power for the Valkyrie, instead of going with a V12.

>"I did some homework and came to the conclusion that weight wise there wasn’t much between them," Newey told Top Gear. "In terms of cooling requirements the V6 was worse, in terms of sound the V6 was worse and it would vibrate too much if you solid-mounted it to the chassis. Technically and emotionally the V12 was the better solution."

It's also worth pointing out that the turbo 4 Mustang weighs more than the V6. Though tbf it also makes more torque.

i like how subarus sound. plus, they made the cayman cheaper than the boxter now.

In my country a barely used 4C goes for around the same amount as a barely used 991 C2S or C4S. There's no way to justify that.

Supercars are about the whole experience.
Exhaust note is a big part of that.

The 718 Cayman is technically faster but I know of two people personally who bought Caymans from the previous generation because no one wants a 4 Cylinder sports car. Sounds like a weed whacker.

If you actually drove cars you would know heavy cars are fucking cancer to drive. Power to weight ratio is a huge factor in how much fun you can have in it. Everything is worse with a heavier engine. Handling is worse, braking is worse, accelleration is a wash depending on what engine we're talking about. Sometimes the bigger engine is worth it, but most of the time it is not.

you can find a used 4c? they make hundreds of them a year. that seems difficult. its like finding a used atom.

You're right but Turbos weigh a lot.

>i like how subarus sound

>Heavy cars
>Porsche Cayman
>2,888lbs

Because turbos and intercoolers and piping weigh nothing right? At the end of the day they still weigh the same as the flat 6 cars
They make more torque sure but they sound like ass and kill the overall experience

>If you actually drove cars you would know heavy cars are fucking cancer to drive
Pic related?

There's about a dozen of them listed on autotrader. Check them out, one as low as $44k with a little over 10,000 miles.

While you're there take a look at my column at autotrader.com/oversteer

Hmmmm, I guess I just assumed 6 more cylinders was heavier than 2 turbos. Are there any more examples of cars with options between a twin turbo and an engine with twice as many cylinders as the twin turbo? Wondering what the weight and power difference comes out to be.

im 1000% sure theres none near me

D-Did you check out my column...user?

>either the V8
they don't make a V8
the V6 is the V8

How the fuck is the NSX similar in looks to the R8? You all fucking retards are blind and looking for even the smallest things to complain on. Sure some of the details do have a small similarity. But which car nowadays don't look similar?

So does that mean an Audi TT is a sensible buy now?

Not when the Boxster/Cayman and Beetle exist.

I love the way the TT looks, but it'll never be a sensible buy so long as the Golf R exists. It's the exact same thing except faster to 60, higher top speed, more HP and torque, and for 5 grand less.

>beetle

Same car but cuter and cheaper.

one day, my friend, it will be

i agree

>Boxster/Cayman and Beetle
They are not related, dummy.

Never said they were, I just meant the Boxster/Cayman twins are a better buy if you want a sports car and the Beetle is a better option if you want a cute coupe based on the Golf.

TT and Beetle are, dummy

>not reading comprehension
I said Boxster/Cayman and Beetle, not TT, dummy

The new ones are way better than what they used to be. So I guess yes.

No, buy a Cayman

Yeah, and he said the Beetle was a better car [than the TT], dummy.

Yeah, beetle is a good, and Boxster/Cayman is sensible to buy if you want a real sport, dummy.

It's really not a shit it was just way overpriced. Within two years, used ones will be on the market for under $100k. It's a great buy at that price but originally the MSRP (pre recent price drop) was something like $200k.

>original NSX sold for 2/3 the price of the comparable contemporary Ferrari
>new NSX sells for 2/3 the price of the comparable contemporary Ferrari
Supercars have just gotten more expensive

All 911s are essentially v6 you stupid fuck

>he thinks a flat 6 is a V6

Doesn't matter. They have 6 cylinders and the number 6 on it.

Nigga it's a fucking ROAD CAR. You think you're gonna be racing all the time in your Audi r8, which btw is more of a gt car than sports car.. In what had one of the best v10 exhaust notes of all times , a v6 is haram

G A Y B O I

That was a pathetic burnout

Except if you were to twin turbo their v8, you'd be making more power than the twin turbo v6, keep the nice exhaust note and be faster while you're at it.

>heavier

yeah but not by any amount that matters.

And those flat 6s have fuck all to do with the V6s that Audis uses in their basic bitch people movers