Steering Feels Thread

What car that you've personally driven had the worst steering feel?

For me it's a tossup between the first gen Avalon and a mid 2000's C-class.

2009 VW Rabbit, kinda turned me off German cars. The whole car just felt numb and disconnected. My dad's BMW Z4 and my mom's GLK are similar.

Can you define "worst"?

I've only ever driven compact sedans and crossovers. I thought the "no road feel" was a feature until I drove other cars.

>my fourth gen Elantra
No steering feel at all, electric power steering

>friend's Civic, rental Altima, dad's CR-V
"is this car broken? why is it so hard to turn the wheel"

>Can you define "worst"?

I don't know, it's just whatever you don't like in your steering. For me it's a numb and/or floaty feeling.

Worst *everything* I've driven was a new Ford Transit for my minibus test
Clutch was feather-light apart from exactly on the bite point where it kicked like a mule (it also applied 300rpm every time you lifted the clutch up, even into neutral), brakes were so heavily servo'd that they had no progression at all (either on or off) and the steering was so remote it felt like I wasn't even driving the thing.
I've driven a couple of other vans since and they were both much nicer (still shit, but 3/10 instead of 1/10)

Yeah iktf m8. I love the way even new BMWs and Audis/VWs look, but it sounds like Porsche is the only German make left that can still make decent steering feedback.

That and every German make has horrific reliability, except, again, Porsche.

sounds like most new economy cars mate.
drove a couple of new manual corollas, eventually I developed a clutch technique where I could flick my ankle through 90% of the empty clutch pedal range and find that 1mm bite point

did you also find it impossible to rev-match? its like they want to prevent you from doing it

Somewhere between a Camry and a F150.

Yep, rev matching was very finnicky. It's harder in diesels anyway though, especially the very slow-revving long-strokes like you get in most big vans.

My Ford Focus feels very floaty and numb in low speed but it tightens up as you go faster.

what the fuck did you just say about me you little bitch

What year?

2014 non-st fiesta, theres no road feel but it's precise at least.

My dad's Hyundai Santa Fe. Felt like I was playing GT3 with a Logitech steering wheel.

And a rental Nissan Versa. Worst car I've been in overall.

Weird.. American Transit are nothing like that. Great feedback from steering. Motortrend came over it. No manual Transit here though:/

moms 2g matrix
electric power steering is a mistake

My wife's Corolla has the worst steering I've ever felt in a car. I've had multiple Ford vans, and a Ford chassis motorhome. Nothing has worse steering feel than that. There is literally no feedback. The only way to drive it straight is to never take your eyes off the road, and always have both hands on the wheel.

'79 Continental with a bad steering rack, had a dead zone like No Man's Land

06 Sierra. That truck was pre-bailout GM at it's worst.

Any econobox Nissan made in recent years. I drove a 2013 Nissan Cube and it had some of the most disgustingly vague steering I've ever felt, bar none.

Worst: Jeep Liberty
Best: E30 with Z3 steering rack

The BYD F3

It's a Chinese car

'Ford' Festiva.

Felt completely disconnected from the front wheels and also like it was just a big spring causing it to return, not caster etc.

Shitty car desu, would never reccomend buying one unless absolutely necessary.

Pic unrelated

2014 Mercedes CLS550
Fuck electric "adaptive" steering. Takes the life and feel right out of the car.

>drives a luxobarge
>"its the electric steering's fault!"

My ST's steering rack isn't informative either. I still like it because of how precise and fast it is, I almost never need to hand-over-hand

It's not my car. I drive pic related. Best steering ever.

Worst - my own car, 1964 Mercury Comet, not only is it recirculating ball power steering which is shit to begin with because of a huge dead spot and inconsistent amount of assist, the 64 Comet/Falcon had a major steering geometry problem that was fixed in 65, it bumpsteers so badly it will rip the wheel out of your hands. Best - F50

2002 Ford Explorer, although everything feels pretty sloppy on the car

2008 Malibu classic ls
Automatic
Terrible

Not entirely in the spirit of the thread, but there isn't a single car on Earth that has a better steering rack than an AW11

All Chevys Ive driven desu, including the Camaro I drove

Mom's old Lexus RX350. It was like there was some kind of lag going on, where turning the wheel would cause the car to turn a half second later. I don't know if that was just adaptive steering gone wrong or if that's just how they're supposed to drive.

i've yet to drive a car with better steering and throttle response than my old shitty miata

fr-s was close though