1984 rx7 GSL-SE

>1984 rx7 GSL-SE
>126,xxx miles
>bad paint, minor surface rust
>all electronics work, interior very very clean.
>only thing that doesn't work is AC, blows cool at best
>sold my Miata for 3200$
>picked this up the same day for 2850$

How did I do Veeky Forums?

Looks rad to me, mate. Good job.

Good job op.

Ran it at the drag strip last night for the lulz, ran a 16.3 1/4 on shit tires. Compression is good. Beat the piss out of a little stripped Honda and a riced integra lmao

12a or 13b? Looks like it hasn't been molested too much, good purchase

I thought it looked rough from the exterior pics but goddamn, you could fucking eat off that dashboard. Well done.

Yeah,not bad. The red interior is in good condition, most turn brown.

6 port 13b

looks good m8

that radio is fucking rad.

>stock radio
my dick

I know right and it works great. All the little equalizers and stuff. Pretty cool stuff
The 13B engine debuted in the GSL-SE models in 1984

I literally did the same thing with my 82 FB except that I traded key for key. Open the engine up and get a rebuild before it blows or you're gonna regret it. If it blows because of the apex seals, it'll be way more expensive than if you just had it rebuilt for safety, like 2 or 3x more, the apex seals gouge the housing and impact the rotor which ruins them. Do it asap, that's what I wish I had done. Mine was at 126k miles as well, and the compression was also good. I totally checked over this car but I guess I missed something or the time was up. I think it was the OMP, make sure the OMP is working.

my meme machine engine bay btw

can you share your interior? heres what mine looked like

actually the 13b came out in 1972.
i have no idea why it took so damn long to end up in the rx7

I also wanna give a few pro tips that I wish I knew or that are really easy to miss if you ever do work on it.

-The engine doesn't bolt to a regular engine stand without an adapter
-You need a 54mm socket and a way to torque the SINGLE nut that holds the flywheel on to 300 ft/lbs
-If you ever take the water pump housing off, make sure you remember to put the paper thin (seriously paper thin its very easy to miss) spacer washers back in the same spots, I wouldn't even take them off so that you don't lose them, I only had to cause I was swapping engines.
-The temp sensor on the engine is expensive and very fragile, screw it in by hand until it's snug, then just barely snug it with a wrench, like use a small one and just barely do it. I already went through that garbage like an idiot, it gets stuck in there if the head breaks off.
-If you ever port it, the stock alternator sucks and doesn't provide enough power so things like the radio will hardly work, you can install a FC or even RX8 alternator with little modification apparently
-The disc brakes fuckin suck (on mine at least), they're like rotors, except with the wheel hub built in?? and the studs are on the lug nuts instead of the rotor like normal. The GSL-SE front and rear ends have the normal brakes like any other car, and a better bolt pattern with a LSD if you ever decide to swap

Think I'm missing a few things, but I thought I'd give a few tips that I really wish I knew. I was basically on my own with this car, the forums pretty much suck.

the brakes are why i sold mine bro. i wanted to keep my wheels but i often tracked my car.

also back then suspension choices were shit.

mines in the back!

how come yours looks so different? is that wheel a one year option?

fuck these interiors are comfy
I'm digging the maroon. Wish that was a more popular option on USDM cars...

my country had no market for this car, how is the mod scene for FBs?

what do you mean no market? its a mazda

I actually have no idea, its a base model so no bells and whistles. I never see this wheel as well. Maybe a dealer option? Mine also came with an armrest that screws onto the center console storage lid, which I'm guessing was also a dealer option. The radio is aftermarket, but it's some period correct (I think) Sony tape deck.

mazda wasn't officially selling their cars here. We had an imports ban during that time

wtf thats just weird.

my fav fb wheels.

i wish there were modern 5 lug repros of this

I can't fucking wait for 3d printing to get to that level

I am literally mad fucking jelly of this purchase, user. No bus riding for you, just sweet rotor fun.

Edgewater, sadly its the only place you can really go fast in Cincinnati without driving an hour out of the city or getting into some club or something.

I don’t understand how people can shit on the rx-8 which is infinitely faster and more reliable but then praise this shit purchase.
OP, you fucked up. Should have kept the miata.

>rx-8
>infinitely faster and more reliable
Funny, I don't recall the RX7 motors being starved for oil at the factory, causing the engines to frag early on forcing mazda to give people rebuilds, which were even worse than the factory motors, and force you to premix them like a fucking weed wacker.

no ac, paint fade. 125k. you got scammed lad, that
cars worth 1500 all day

due to emissions requirements less oil was pumped by the omp on the renesis engines, which caused total engine failure due to overheating cos ya seals got focked.