/neog/ - SNK and Neo Geo General

KOFXIV now out on Steam! 20% off until the 23rd
store.steampowered.com/app/571260/THE_KING_OF_FIGHTERS_XIV_STEAM_EDITION/

KoF XIV is in the e-sports event by the OCA.
twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status/873134058447839232

Arcade version to release on June 29:
twitter.com/NESiCA_PR/status/870536555504455680

Get KoF 98 UMOL in English:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ourpalm.kof98.us

Stuff from the chinese conference:
youtu.be/MJwlFbp4toU
youtu.be/QEqXaBq-Scg
youtu.be/JySin3zQqtE

New MSA Extra Ops:
youtu.be/PY5hiZ7CV8I

Small snippet arcade of exhibition:
youtu.be/yqvDPPcJatY

KoF Destiny game trailer
youtu.be/kOTUGI-nrDs

New KOF Chinese manga:
twitter.com/PrettyBakedCake/status/816915802083340288
twitter.com/PrettyBakedCake/status/817381037114171392

New SNK mobile RPG:
game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/newproject/

Latest tournament footage:
youtu.be/-_MVbscJXv8
youtu.be/RT4hkGwe7j4
youtu.be/cmA18dnqNxI
youtu.be/v1JH568QpR0
youtu.be/HwD3v53neA4
youtu.be/gLNqxvNQxQQ
youtu.be/v=WFaLZMTwIjk
youtu.be/xFFq3r0ln10
youtu.be/BV-bjwj5gik
youtu.be/i4zqA4OI5do

DandyJ's beginner guide:
youtu.be/Ye3KVgI1LvU

Community resources:
dreamcancel.com/how-to-play/

Discord group:
discord.gg/HYAQYFh

KOFXIV gallery/OST:
pastebin.com/mYwAPcM0

Play older games online on Fightcade. compatible roms DL:
mega.nz/#F!EoJjwSLB!Tukuk9bZAa7YXXxKNVHorw

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B2546QRNPRPxb1VyemE5N25kb00
mediafire.com/file/758z1r4yzo66w54/KOF_XIV_Steam_artbook.rar
mmcafe.com/news/posts/10241.html
kof-dj-index.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/falcoon_master/status/876409353284108288
twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/876472190379507712
youtube.com/watch?v=tYweRTIJAhg
twitter.com/Bboy_Izilla/status/876581547536773121
twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/876676485393768448
youtube.com/watch?v=OGT5_WLn5Do
youtube.com/watch?v=RbVpftt7N5I
twitter.com/SNK_KimiHERO/status/876671303381430275
youtube.com/watch?v=hS7XYCxTsxw
twitter.com/orochinagicom/status/876755990783430657
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Links for the Steam Artbook

>PDF drive.google.com/open?id=0B2546QRNPRPxb1VyemE5N25kb00

>jpg mediafire.com/file/758z1r4yzo66w54/KOF_XIV_Steam_artbook.rar

>there are people who care about the Western KOF scene

>There are people who want a game they enjoy to succeed and do well and not die.

As mentioned with is how I feel about it, I don't know about others. Also I think the situation with KoF might be a little different.
It was never popular in the same areas (US, Canada, Europe) in the areas in which the games you mentioned are popular. No amount of thuggery will ever make it as popular as those games. You mention nobody watching it, but like many people have done time and time again the chinese numbers were never taken into account. Pic related was for a 24 man tournament that Xiaohai and ET were in that took place in guandong province (china) if I'm not mistaken. That tourney had 160,000+ views. America does not make the bulk of the KoF audience, china does and to a smaller extent latin america (but those guys barely stream shit there were fairly important KoF tournaments that weren't even streamed like the Mexico qualifier).
Also the US tournaments you mentioned while fairly large (EVO being big enough to be an international tournament) are primarily based in the US. I don't know if you've noticed, the US has fairly strict visa requirements for the areas in which KoF excels at. It is a coincidence, but one that could have impact to tourney #s of KoF in the US. Few people meet those requirements. There will be EVO Japan and Japan has little to no visa requirements for those areas. If they do visas are processed in a couple weeks (mentioned in jap embassy websites). The chinese guy who lost his visa, Toshi and Frionel got theirs really quickly. There is also no requiremts for Mexico and I think brazil. More players can make it if they have the money to make the trip.

I'm not worried for KOF's life in those countries, because over there it's even bigger than SF is. I'm tired of KOF being a "dead game" in the West, and basically being the poster child for 15 person tournaments. The devs have done everything they can to make a quality product, and overseas competition is as strong as it's ever been. The problem is with the Western scene, because they're not doing anything to make the game look appealing or interesting. They don't have to stoop to WHO BITCH THIS IS levels of thuggery, but I wish I could be invested watching KOF. The only players with actual personalities I can think of are Xiaohai and Laban. Keep in mind, I say this as someone who actually does spend money and time going to events, so I'm not asking for change I'm too lazy to support.

Ehhh, KOF is already a pretty entertaining game to watch where clutches, upsets and character variety are present on every tournament so adding feuds or whatever feels superfluous.

If anything I'd ask for better commentators.

I wasn't quite finished. would've gone over character limit.
To add more:
Speaking of money, very few KoF players are sponsored and have jobs/families that depend on them and as such not many can make as many trips as players for other games. Also SNK despite having recent successes, does not have as deep pockets as Capcom, NRS, Microsoft to throw money into the competitive scene and make events with big pot bonuses like capcom cup. I can bet a good reason that a nice chunk of pro players are drawn to those games besides their popularity is the pot bonuses, aka money. Some of those pro players made a career out of it. Money is something SNK does not have too much of, nor does KoF have huge enough numbers to raise such amounts of moey for tournaments in the USA. It all boils down to popularity/numbers which KoF doesn't have in the US/west to begin with or money. Or it could be (like that survey results that was going around for the japs) that many just don't care about being competitive. Same survey showed that about half of the western KoF players in the west had even gone to a tournament, that's an even smaller number compared to KoF already minuscule foothold in the US. It's not that SNK is doing much, it's that they can't.
mmcafe.com/news/posts/10241.html

If one is watching the game for the personalities playing it, as much as I enjoy Laban's shenanigans and xiaohai (I really do), then isn't support for the game itself suspect or dubious at best? I mean those moments can be hype, but let's not forget the real star of those events is the game.

TL;DR competitive scene is dead in the water in the US and rest of the west due to several factors. No amount of thuggery or chimping out will fix that.

*It's not that SNK is not doing much

Since I brought in the survey and I am scientifically minded, I guess an experiment can be done. What if a KoF tournament is organized and players are encouraged to pop off and take a part in thuggery as much as they want, or they are encouraged to do that in an already upcoming tournament? We'll be able to see how many of the players actually take part in that and viewers' reactions can be gauged or encouraged to give their reactions. We can see if viewer ship does go up or stays the same or whether people enjoy the pop offs and thuggery or if they don't. Just so you know not much of that happened in the chinese tournaments with those huge viewer numbers. Also those views were there because of the series's already established popularity. Sure a factor for there being no pop off in those tournaments could be a different culture, but the chinese are nowhere near as reserved as the Japanese. Some of them will tell you upfront if you've gotten fat for example.
If viewer numbers rise after a few tournaments like that then it'll support your theory of popoffs and thuggery giving views, but if viewer numbers don't go up or if they fall it'll support my theory that thuggery will not make a difference in regards to KoF. I need to warn that there could be unintended results or factors, it could be that tournament players refuse to take part in thuggery or it could even turn viewers away from it.

I'll say it again some celebration or friendly shenanigans can be nice and hype, but if things go south it's a slippery slope which can have various unintended consequences. While they can be nice the main star of the events and tournaments is the game and we must not forget that.

Not much of a Mai guy, but that chick makes a really nice Mai.

Finally a slightly bigger version of this. Now I'm just waiting for a version that's decently big to make a poster.

Threw the image in waifu2x and got pic related. The jap text above nesicaxLive2 and the text on the bottom right got blurred as hell as the copiright sign next to SNK. Guess I'll wait until a slightly bigger version comes out and throw that into waifu2x or wait for a decently sized one. The PNG version was too big for Veeky Forums.

Yes.
If you are interested, a friend and I made a tumblr to post our scans: kof-dj-index.tumblr.com/
we just started it so there isn't much for now, but we want to post at least once or twice a week.

twitter.com/falcoon_master/status/876409353284108288
>Sylvie with no belly button
FALCOOOOOON

I hope they post a better version without text too, this pic is too good

Nooo, poor ayy lmao. I wonder if it would really taste like melon soda.

I love Zarina.

i'm glad the full steam kofxiv lets you turn off all that graphics shit

at least in 320x200 fullscreen it runs at speed (i think), or at least pretty close to it that i don't feel too impaired

but load time is still pretty long for me so i probs won't take it online

>It's not that SNK is doing much, it's that they can't.
yes, it's like complaining that an earnest charity is not doing even more than it can fiscally afford to do

you know, like smashfags complaining about this or that like vip rooms and commentator salaries most commentators aren't even good to do that job let alone a professional one in like the nfl or something

although i admittedly tested only on the training stage, stuff like terry ff2 stage is slower frame rate

they need to give a generic wireframe background thing that replaces all the bgs for low spec guys

>having this much of a toaster.
I dont know man, you guys gotta save and get a better rig in the future.

Well unless you are feeding a family and sending kids to school. Do those first.

i'm not exactly working a job that pays me millions here, try to be more understanding than that

I assume a "replace every stage with training stage" mod should be easy to make, like people used to do with SF4

probably is, i'd have to "datamine" (incorrect usage of term) the game data to see where things are located it's probably intuitively structured

sylvie is precious

Sylvie!

>tfw sylvie will never be in a days of memories games

>I want YOU to buy KOF XIV!

>Skirt Vice
Would love it as DLC

Today is father's day
Tell them something nice

Heidern looks good in mini shorts

Is he Rhodesian?

I would hang with them and treat them a beer.

>dressing as his good for nothing son.
kek.

the other two are dressed as daughterus, but unfortunately for saishuu, he only had a son

I think he got the better deal to be honest

sasuga fate-chan

nice eyes, rocky

Players' characters across top 4 of 4 tournaments.
twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/876472190379507712

Someone please buy kof xiv on PC. There's literally nobody online. I knew I should have just bought a PS4.

youtube.com/watch?v=tYweRTIJAhg

Fucking Beni

So I posted this on /v/ but seeing that this is the general I might aswell post it here:

I'm tired of SFV and Tekken isn't for me since I prefer 2D fighters. Is King of Fighter XIV worth picking up now? Is the game any fun? Is the online active? I'm playing on PS4.

Bias aside

-It is absolutely worth picking up. The roster is incredibly solid and most characters are viably competitively. The mechanics are deep enough to make learning them worthwhile but not too obtuse to scare newcomer players.

-Is a lot of fun and is not rare to see some impressive upsets and clutches at high level play.

-Is pretty active although only on free matches. Ranked is active only at specific times and there aren't a lot of players playing Ranked nowadays.

Why aren't people playing ranked, and what are "free matches"?

Yeah, the big cast is what makes me interested. None in the current cast of SFV does it for me, I played alot of Cody and Evil Ryu in USFIV. Also, I've played the game so much I'm getting sick of it.

Also, thanks for the informative reply.

i bought it, i just have a toaster and can only play effectively on training stage

Because Ranked is pretty much where all the "I have to win everytime" tryhards are and thus, there's not a lot of variety in character selection there.

Don't worry, user. The cgi animation is gonna bring new players to online.

R-right, guys?

Numbers peak during hours the chinks are free.

Heidern is a big guy.

For you.

For me what raises my suspicions most is what was mentioned here . I guess only time will tell. I mean it's not like browsing this place is necessarily bad or anything. Leaker user did, although I think he only browses /fgg/ after the threads on /v/ moved here since I haven't seen him in this general in the past and there are others who I've seen on twitter that I suspect browse here. Eh, it's not really a big deal I guess, but it does make me sometimes wonder who I've argued with in the past.

god i wish that were me

Fug, I don't know why, but I find this extremely adorable and heartwarming.

You want to drink an ayy lmao's brain that happens to taste like melon soda or do you want Fio and Tarma to drink your brain which tastes like melon soda?

Makes me wonder if SNK will ever make another days of memories game again or even if some of their stuff from that era will ever get a proper translation.

i'm still upset that shermie was not dating material in them

i mean there's mature even (but strangely no vice option?), it's not supposed to reflect the climate of the fighting games, it's a dating sim, noone realistically expects you to be able to bag angel but she's an option too

I am a little flexible so I'd say I am up for both.

twitter.com/Bboy_Izilla/status/876581547536773121
Kek, this makes me wonder, have you ever been ragequit on? How did it go?

Never in KoF, but it happened alot in SFV. Also had a few rage quitters in Injustice 2. Thankfully you get a victory when that happens.

i can't remember honestly, but i'm sure it happened

i think one of my special ragequits was when i was reverse ocving someone with sylvie and it was like at the last hit

can't even remember who it was

That would be cool too. Personally I don't mind the text, since it is an arcade poster it reminds me of days long past. At least where I live at.

The fuck does Geese says when choosing him?

BOW BEFORE ME

>Get KoF 98 UMOL in English:

Is this any fun?

new challenger

Oh boy, thread on /v/ sure is fun.

the only thing /v/ is useful for is talking about minecrap

8/10

Would bang

Don't know why, but I like this person's stuff.

Fug, If I were Heidern I'd pick up tiny Leona and give her the biggest hugging, kiss her forehead and give her plenty of headpats.

Or leaks. That Doom 16 one was quite an adventure.

>competitive scene is dead in the water in the US
True that. The most fans can do is playing with the small group of regulars that have stuck with the game and talk about it with friends... That is, if T7/DBFZ/Injus2/MvCI hasn't already grabbed their attention.

>there was a guy claiming that a CvS 3 was in the works

Which SNK dad is best dad?

Jeff

In KOF terms I'm in between Kim and Takuma (despite his questionable business decisions).

Speaking of Kim, I'm having flashbacks of him getting splattered on the wall by a possessed Cheng Sinzan, only making up for the jobbing by doing a random Phoenix Kick.

Also, Maxima has to be a good dad to K' and Kula, of course.

>tfw no Maxima dad

That happened? Fuck.

As mentioned earlier they don't have the money to make huge pot bonuses nor is KoF popular enough to raise the money. Sure SNK or ATLUS have given $500-$1000 before, but that was very seldom. I can only think of 2 or 3 times in which that happened. I think for the Mexican one in Tijuana they were only able to give $200. As mentioned above some pros are attracted to the money and even made a career out of it, no way they have the funds for that. Sure they've been taking in money with the mobile sales, but they have their offices in Osaka and Tokyo to maintain as well as their division in China. They have to pay employee salaries from VA's to directors, artists, their newly acquired accountants, their developers for their projects and even the janitors that clean their toilets. That shit ain't cheap.

Also it's not like they're not helping in other ways, they do have their e-sports support program which was expanded when 2.0 was released not just for KoF XIV, but for any SNK fighting game, as well as promoting the event on their social media and sending some swag. Pretty much the only requirements are that at least 20 people take part and you let them know in time. Support on their behalf definitely is there, but some people seem to forget about it and of those who don't they forget that it's not just exclusive to XIV. They're just limited as to what they can do.

What said is pretty much all that could be done besides what's already been done. They could release another game from another of their IPs, but there is no guarantee that it would stick here as mentioned before, SNK games were never really popular in the US. I heard people mentioned that in the days of early SF2 before KoF was a thing the one thing that pretty much kinda stood a chance against SF that they had was SS. I would like them to keep supporting their future games like they did with KoF XIV, they've been pretty responsive and good with communication and very supportive.

The other route they could go given if they have the money in the future is make the focus of the game be competition/tournament centric like capcom did with SFV and by the looks of things MvCI, but we all know how that turned out. I don't know about others, but the way those games are being handled is pretty shit in my opinion. I would stop supporting SNK if they pulled something like that, it made me stop supporting capcom and I loved the older games of theirs that I played. I guess something like what I mentioned in could be tried if enough people feel like it, but that would be in the hands of the community itself and as mentioned it could mean that it doesn't help.

It was just some dude claiming it along with Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2 and a few other things that I can't quite recall.
The dude who made the thread basically just said something along the lines of: I have a source and capcom has (a few games) tatsunoko vs capcom two which will be arcades only in japan and CvS3. He didn't really post more than that nor any sort of proof or argument that supported him. It was literally like one or two sentences Best to assume fake as fuck until proven real.

Link related surfaced today, but I don't recall if that was part of it.
twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/876676485393768448

I remember reading a rumor from somewhere else that supposedly later in the year capcom will be relaunching SFV as Super SFV as a free update for those who have it with new (returning characters). The characters were the exact same ones that Alex valle tweeted saying something like: people would freak if capcom announced: Q, Oro, Sakura, etc, etc. I forgot the rest, but the tweet is there and can be found if one searches far back enough.

Jap tourney from this weekend.
youtube.com/watch?v=OGT5_WLn5Do

Would you?

KoF Destiny trailer in HD with subs.
youtube.com/watch?v=RbVpftt7N5I

So what's this? Terry's past feud with Geese and the Orochi saga thrown in?

Basically FF1 with Kyo and Orochi shenanigans shoehorned in. I believe it was mentioned in the chinese website this was announced at first a while back that the first season would cover the events of FF1 and if there were more that it'd flow into KoF.
Fucking Clark has shown up in screenshots and other trailers, so maybe they're just observing Geese or other shenanigans. Since it also shows the Kyokugens in their KoF ages I guess it supports what was mentioned and it'll be a precursor to KoF.

SNK is holding a second closed beta tes for their Hero Academy mobile RPG. They listened to input from the first beta and did a big update. More details in the official site.
twitter.com/SNK_KimiHERO/status/876671303381430275

Maybe.

Sure as fuck not Todoh. How can you leave such a cute daughter behind

Yet another tourney from this weekend.
youtube.com/watch?v=hS7XYCxTsxw

Hotties.

Who are they?

twitter.com/orochinagicom/status/876755990783430657
>The actual top players can't come to America to play because of visa and travel bullshit
>Nobody in America cares about the game
I told you fucks this would happen, nobody is going to care about a game with no sense of identity or personality in its scene. KOF is going to die, and that's going to be alright with most of you because you're incapable of criticizing something you love.