/egg/ Engineering games general - previously and forever /svgg/

new martian dawn edition

Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Garry's Mod
>GearBlocks
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

There is inquiry to add MRHD to the list, what do /egg/men say?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_engineering_branches
youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI
youtube.com/watch?v=dCrjXs8GSQI
youtube.com/watch?v=V1qOCAM9Syw
strawpoll.me/1486172
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>There is inquiry to add MRHD to the list, what do /egg/men say?
>Missouri River Historical Development,
yeah sure why not

at least you even google searched it user
you're a stronger man than I

>empty ammo out of advanced cannons
>change ammo type, wait for clips to refill and save vehicle
>load vehicle
>It still has the old fucking ammo in it.

God damnit send help. How to fix?

I just got to the defense mission on the station in Spacechem, holy shit this is complicated. Not only do you have to fuel the weapon and trigger it to fire, you have to rotate it as well.

it's MHRD, and from the looks of it it's solid /egg/ material

"MHRD is a hardware design game, in which you design various hardware circuits in a hardware description language. The hardware circuits you design get more complex as you go until you create a fully functional CPU design."

i mean that sounds /egg/ as fuck

>i mean that sounds /egg/ as fuck
Absolutely no building, 2d, convoluted and only eight people play it?

Sounds like a perfect fit.

not all engineering is cuckout, friend

chode update when. Hopefully we get free electron lasers, laser thermal propulsion, particle beams, or something cool like that instead of just bugfixes and QoL improvements.

>not all engineering is cuckout, friend
Why's that?

how retarded are you?

Depends my man, but you still haven't come up with any reasons.

ok, here is proof: civil engineering is engineering
but you are probably to stupid to understand how that links

well, you see, there's not just building-shit-engineering

for example, MHRD (along with its sister games, such as TIS 100 and SHENZHEN IO) falls under either hardware or software engineering, depending on how you look at it

spacechem could fall under molecular engineering

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_engineering_branches

AMURRICA
FUCK YEAH

How has it gone this long without one of you memeloving fucks posting a podracer

i remember seeing a podracer type build in missions once

>Not making the thrusters in a vague x shape for Sebulba points

hardware engineering
it's too low level to be software engineering

What about destroying shit engineering?

Because Hardware Engineers don't exist and VHDL is a fairy tale

That's ftd.

Combat engineers, or civil engineers who specialize in demolition.

There has been no noteworthy mention of the game - only a few one-liner posts.
If the game cannot produce any discussion, why bother listing it?

How good is Factorio? Is it that addicting and deep that people say it is?

Of all the base-building, resource-management games, how far up does Factorio place?

Last time I played that glorified mess of a sandbox, one could clear ammo by changing cannon caliber.
Changing desired gauge and/or removing gauge increasers should do the trick.

half the shit you see in the list usually doesn't get much discussion, not a valid reason to keep it off the list

>how far up does Factorio place?
The difference between Factorio and other base-building-resource management games is litterally the difference between starcraft and supreme commander. Almost no contest from anything ever made in the history of ever.

Its essentially a different genre.

I don't see any post about Children of a Dead Earth, let's remove it.
I don't see any post about Empyrion, let's remove it.
I don't see any post about Interstellar rift, let's remove it.
I don't see any post about Robot Arena 2, let's remove it
I don't see any post about SHENZEN, let's remove it.
I don't see any posts about Scrap Mechanic, let's remove it
I don't see any posts about Gearblocks, let's remove it.
I don't see any posts about KOHCTPYKTOP, let's remove it
I don't see any posts about REM, let's remove it.

FUCK! LET'S DROP ALL THE FUCKING LIST, KILL /egg/ FOR GOOD AND FROM HERE ON OUT LET'S JUST HAVE /cog/! SHALL WE?

Some of these are still under development. Sometimes they remerege after proper update.

What is the best for invasions? Rapier or Vector? Cannons or missiles?

It's long past time we cleaned out the OP list either way.
If the proponents of an addition cannot spark any initial discussion, then what're the chances it'll ever be mentioned again?

>robot arena 2
>interstellar rift
Find the most recent posts mentioning these two games - not including posts pertaining to this discussion.
Chances are that the last mention of robot arena was in winter.

>FUCK! LET'S DROP ALL THE FUCKING LIST, KILL /egg/
Surely you mean
>the game is so old and/or niche that no one plays it, let's add it to the egglist because it's like a distant cousin

It's a pretty fuckin' great game.
Demo it (it actually has a demo that's a good representation of the game) or pirate it (game has no DRM)
Gameplay is refreshingly unique
Devs are consistent, transparent as fuck, honest, and actually fucking play their game (and are actually mad decent at it!)
Game is one of the most polished games I've played, with bugs being extremely rare (and if you find a reproducible bug, will usually get fixed in the next patch if you submit it)
Mods are well supported, being easy to make and install, and there's quite a lot of them. (Note: you must own the game to download mods. most anons here would be happy to hook you up with any mods you request)
Compared to early access games (and even quite a few "finished"/released games), it's incredibly fleshed out and fully featured.
The only con I can think of is the poor combat, which is completely optional due to the many available worldgen settings.
>Of all the base-building, resource-management games, how far up does Factorio place?
pretty fuckin far up

I know I sound like a total shill right now but I genuinely love factorio and I want to give others the joy it has given me

Factorio is pretty good but after building a factory up to blue science I don't feel the urge to play it anymore. Everything you do is basically the same with different ingredients.

>'Cleaned out'
It's not a set of rules. Refer to that running 'gag' from Pirates of the Caribbean 1, it's "more of a... guideline".
If we had any solid set of rules for what constitutes games that fit in the general, we would seriously have like 3 games that actually stayed and /egg/ would die in 24 hours.

serb crashed
elite grinder & welder went fug

any ideas for autism flagship?

fidget spinner

You don't even want to know what my idea of an autism flagship is

OK I tried changing the gauge of the cannon and waiting for it to fill up with the new ammo, but when I loaded up the saved vehicle it still has the old ammo in it.

What would you even google for this? I can't find shit.

>If we had any solid set of rules for what constitutes games that fit in the general, we would seriously have like 3 games that actually stayed and /egg/ would die in 24 hours.
Literary diarrhea.

It does not follow that any rules at all (no matter how they're defined or set) would strangle this general.
As an example, if it is set as a rule that a game must create discussion (insert lawyer's unshakable definition of discussion) at least once every month, would we still be down to three games?

don't be shy onii-chan

Does anyone even use the list? Cuckout posting will fade FOTM stuff always does. Remember when the threads were full of empyrion and then that other space game? now where are they? Gone.

They don't stop being less /egg/ just because they're ded. That's the whole point of the general.

>They don't stop being less /egg/
Fuck I really mangled that sentence. Whatever.

REMINDER THAT EVERYONE THAT TRIES TO GET GAMES DROPPED OFF THE LIST IS A KERBNIGGER IN DISGUISED LOOKING TO DESTROY THE THREAD!
DO NOT LET THEM WIN!

A decent flagship should have everything. It should hold a miner, a weldship or two, a dropship, a couple of light fighters, a large, heavy fighter and maybe a big detachable refinery module. All held internally or blended into the hull in the case of the refinery.

It's a magnet. If someone thinks "maybe there's a thread for [insert engineering game]" and taps that into the Veeky Forums search, they will find this thread, and there is a chance that they will be able to create discussion, even if these things don't necessarily happen often.

It doesn't matter how much discussion an /egg/ game generates, as long as the general consensus is that it is an /egg/ game.

I might be getting into some philosophical "tree in the woods"-shit, but whatever:

As I see it, the OP list covers the games that're discussed here, even if the list isn't exhaustive.
However, if a game is not discussed at all (not even when it's 'seeking asylum'), then would it belong on the OP list?

I feel that it might be necessary to make it clear that I'm not trying to restrict anyone from discussing MHRD by keeping it off the list.
What I'm trying to do is the inverse; keeping it off the list *because* it is not discussed.
I'd like to ask again: If the game does not garner any discussion (not even by its proponents) in its early adoption, what are the chances that it will ever?

>all caps
>not a single argument
>stop them someone xd
Like a sore thumb.

that sounds like a carrier
why not have all those things as parts of the main ship, the swiss spessarmy spessship specially spessed so spessmen shall spess mehreens!
that gives me some ideas, thanks user

yup, all games that are /egg/ are /egg/, even if they are ded (especially if they are ded)
there was no mention of spacechem for months and suddenly we are back to it with 2 anons

that being said the list should not be "cleaned"
and imo mhrd fits our autism, even if I have not played it yet I fully intend to

>Does anyone even use the list?
I don't even look at the OP after opening new thread.

I'm starting to belive this guy
also

I check if noone's trying to sneak in some forbidden shit in there or when I wonder what to buy next

Atropos is pretty chewy, yeah. But you haven't yet reached John Fucking Madden levels of bullshit until you reach the planet where you can't rearrange the reactor layouts, because Bruce drops you off and you're literally the only person on the planet

>"tree in the woods"-shit

It doesn't make a sound. Sound is just the way living things interpret rapid fluctuations in atmospheric pressure. WIthout a living thing to hear it, there is no sound.

>It doesn't matter how much discussion an /egg/ game generates, as long as the general consensus is that it is an /egg/ game.
Do we ever at some point say "no, this game fits in but it doesn't garner enough interest"?
What if a game has not been mentioned once in several years since its adoption, will it then still not be removed?
In the far-off future once we've assimilated even more early-access indie open-world space games, how will we fit all the games in the OP if we're never to remove any?

>and imo mhrd fits our autism
Depending on how lax you want to be in the 'engineering' aspect of the thread topic, I would also suggest other games because why not, doesn't matter if anyone really wants to talk about them.
>Gimbal (8888888 LABS)
>Star Ruler (Blind Mind Studios)
>Impossible Creatures (Relic Entertainment)
>Theme Hospital (Bullfrog Productions)
>Rollercoaster Tycoon (Chris Sawyer Productions)
Note that the two latter are borderline /cbg/, and could easily lead to a slippery slope

>Do we ever at some point say "no, this game fits in but it doesn't garner enough interest"?

>how lax you want to be in the 'engineering' aspect of the thread topic
not this shit again

I too have to admit, the perspective looks plausible

This If I had to pinpoint a difference, most engineering game ask you to guess the right combination to get the things working in the right amount.

Factorio is about creating factories plural to transform increasing amount of resources into increasing amount of product you need to create more factory to transform...etc
Also you kill alien who aren't happy with your factory.

Just look at the trailer.
youtube.com/watch?v=DR01YdFtWFI

It's not our job to catalogue every single /egg/ there is. It literally says "this list is not fully inclusive" in the OP. The ones in the OP get brought up every now and then (yes, even gmod) and give a rough outline of the sort of thing that is acceptable.

I'd add to this that factory in trailer (at least what is shown of it) is really really small

really small and poorly organized

it does its job for the trailer, some parts look like they are intentionally not laid out optimally so they look better and less confusing
off topic: have you seen the .15 dev spaghetti?

So playing crossout is [s]fun[/s]
I've sold copper, boxes, and shit till i bought a jawbreaker. Now I'm considering upgrading the weapons from the chords. What should I grind for next?

Small factories are the shit. I thought factorio could have benefited from a system like Dune2 where you had environmental restrictions on base size.

The "fun" is trying to pack everything into a tight space.

See, but with small bases everything is slow. You can have a massive base with no wasted space. That's pretty FUN

Or a large base with heapings of spaghetti, like so: youtube.com/watch?v=dCrjXs8GSQI

(one of the dev's bases)

yeah. it's honestly impressive, like a lot of thought went into weaving the tangled mess of belts and assemblers to get everything working

Gimbal looks pretty fun after looking at it.
I'll try pirating and see if it's my jam i can join the server without steam, otherwise, whelp, buyfag tiem.

There is/was a Factorio mod that restricts buildings to pre-generated areas of "solid ground".
Said mod was tried out in an eggtorio, which promptly disintegrated due to how much of a pain it was to build around.

>"this list is not fully inclusive"
You can help to expand this list. Haven't I made it clear that I'm already aware of what you're saying?

>The ones in the OP [...] give a rough outline of the sort of thing that is acceptable
So which one is it, do we desire a large and broadly encompassing list or will a quick rundown suffice?
If it's the former, then the other proposed games might as well be brought up for consideration.

If it's the latter, then surely any of the Zachtronics games in the OP will make it clear that MHRD also fits in.
Taking this to the next logical conclusion, we could also settle for Space Engineers (removing empyreeon, avorion, interstellar rift and starmad) , and then consider that genre covered.

I'm going to start a factorio server today.
Question is, what gamemode would you guys prefer?
I'm thinking a deathworld.
Do you guys want any mods?
I'll probably use RSO just so the resource generation isn't fucked.

pvp

Deathworld - not necessarily with expensive recipes and science, but at the very least a fuckton off ayy to remove.
Speaking from several past eggtorios, interest plummets after the first day, unless someone comes up with a grand project to make anyone care.
With enough ayy, outright defeat becomes an actual possibility, which means no one will protest against a restart. This also serves to keep the game reasonably short (and intense).

What's the appeal of getting better at factorio and how is such a thing measured?

>how is measured

By how good is you factory design, followed by how fast you make it.

>appeal
Autism.

>how is such a thing measured?
By the quality of your spreadsheet.

I think expensive recipes will keep the serb alive longer, as it will make achieving the "endgame" more time-consuming.
I'm definitely going to have a fuckton of ayys though.

The appeal is making bigger, better, more efficient designs, and implementing new techniques and experimenting with new possibilities.

The most common metric for a base's effectiveness is (.14 and below) rockets launched per [time frame] or (.15 and up) 1000 science per [time frame]

The most common goal is 1k science per minute (or otherwise 1 rocket launched per minute) which requires an incredible network of supplies and a well thought out transportation system

>that planet
I can't even get past the first assignment. Have no idea where to start.

You're probably gonna have to play a bit with the settings regardless, as it'll take a few tries to get the settings right for what kind of game you have in mind.
While more expensive recipes can delay a stale endgame somewhat, they might also hasten the earlygame ayyflood - you might even have to adjust settings for how dumb your players are.
Don't believe for a second that /egg/ is a branch of MENSA, eggtorios have enough spaghetti to make an italian blush

The trouble with servers is players don't know what they want until they see it. The journey is always better than the goal.

I just want to build a fughughe factory with people.
at first I'll try dangerous mode, normal recipes. I can always load up a new map if need be.

>The trouble with servers is players don't know what they want until they see it.
Isn't that just one of the fundamental rules of product development (or a modification thereof)?
Y'know, the one about consumers not knowing what they want.

I'd kurbstomp them. Server players are like women, they think they want things that will make it easier but what they really want is trouble and difficulty. Treat 'em mean, keep em keen.

Alright, thanks guys, I just bought it

They deserve it. It's not my kind of thing but it's well made and focused. Qualities sorely lacking in many games these days.

>bought it
Forgot to say, I consider it worth paying for yes.

It may be an indy game, simple by AAA standard, but it do what it do well, it's still getting prettier (see below), and the game is still being updated (next version will add nuclear power)

(this is the OLD trailer)
youtube.com/watch?v=V1qOCAM9Syw

do you stop gaining scrap metal from missions after a certain point?

weekly cap

wow the old one is so shit
not talking about visuals, but how they made the trailer itself
and honestly I believe it surpasses many of AAA games that are churned out nowadays, especially since many of them forgot how to be games

I'm trying to reseach "Logistics", and it requires 0/1 Red Science Pack. I feed it in the lab, it loads, then nothing happens. I create some more, feed it into the lab, process starts, finishes, nothing. Logistics icon still stands there with 0/1 Red Science Pack 1

Play the campaign from the start.
At this pace, you'll have a hundred stupid questions before the day is out - the campaign will answer the vast majority.

it needs 10

Sorry, I'm an idiot, noticed the green progress bar on the top right corner now

And I am playing the campaign

play campaign but ditch it as soon as you finish the task to make a car, then jump straight into freeplay
after launching rocket in freeplay either try to get n rockets per minute or some other milestone you set for yourself
after that you will be ready for bobangel's

Yeah, I'm trying to make that car in campaign right now

cuckout general when????

>hold vote
>'no' wins
>continue whining
You are worse than Hillary supporters.

this general can barely stay alive as is, how do u expect a crossout general to do that when its sharing its space with 10 other games

sir, are you aware you are a fucking faggot?
please discontinue further existence

stop whining

>buy 100 avia boosters yesterday
>sell them today
ez 30 coin profit

strawpoll.me/1486172