What do you consider to be a decent amount of torque/horsepower Veeky Forums?

What do you consider to be a decent amount of torque/horsepower Veeky Forums?
Got one of these awhile back, its nothing like my dads 470hp AMG but fuck do I love it. Only has 215hp and 280 torque. Is that good? Stick of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

carthrottle.com/post/engineering-explained-exhaust-systems-and-how-to-increase-performance/
auto.howstuffworks.com/how-much-horsepower-does-cold-air-intake-add.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Stick
manual

It depends upon the ages, size, and weight of the vehicle. An na miata makes pretty good HP/torque for back when it was released, but nowadays that would be poor as the miata is heavier and larger, and technologies have improved to let us get more power from our engines.

>Only has 215hp
I didn't know they made a 4 cylinder Mustang

Kek'd

Seriously though, why were these models so underpowered? And weren't foxbodies the same?

American engine design hadn't been up dated since the late 60's and the weren't designed with emissions control and fuel injection systems that were introduced over the next 20 years.

Its not as if European manufacturers at the time were doing much better. The v12 in the 850i only put out a little over 300hp

The 850CSi made 372hp and was pretty much the benchmark for v12 performance, brah.

Fucking kek. These days you can take like 1.6 4cyl and it will make 500 hp easily. Fucking troglodytes back in the day didn't know about turbos or what?

The base M70 when it was first introduced in 1987 was only making 300hp, it wasn't up dated til 1994.

Which is when the 302 that's probably in OP stang was a year away from being discontinued.

Turbos sucked back then and had significant lag, also metallurgy wasn't as advanced and fuel managament systems were basic compared to what we have now.

>American engine design hadn't been up dated since the late 60's
The Mustang in the OP had the 4.6 Modular which was completely new, replacing the old Windsor.

Can you get to highway speed safely? It's enough power. I know you can because a Crown Vic has the same engine with a downright lethargic 4-speed slushbox and has no issues.

Choked heads and low compression. They'd run out of air at high rpm.

My take on it is that the camaro at the time wasnt shit and there was no challenger at all. So ford could produce a turd engine and rake in sales. I love the 4.6 modular but without forced induction its only got sound going for it.

I think a good amount of torque is at LEAST 30% more torque than horsepower. And if your engine isn't doing this it's shit.

>decent amount

I have an '04 Mustang that gets 260HP out of the same engine and I'd call that decent. It's comfy fast--never had a legal driving situation where it wasn't powerful enough. Can always get way out ahead of other cars on the road. Spins the tires in the rain more easily than I'd like too.

But it doesn't feel HOLYSHITFAST. Probably need at least 350 for that.

>tfw car has only 435HP/400lbtft torque

Is it too much to ask for the FIVE POINT OHH to have
5 0 0
0 HP?

1:1

>manual

standard

From all the cars and trucks and suvs ive driven, Id say 250+ of torque is very nice, whether its a coupe, big sedan, or Suburban or Expedition. Below that, cars feel like you have to put more effort to get them going. In particular little compacts with sub two liter motors.

What could possibly compel you to make this correction. It's just not necessary at all

Ive got one also, recommend getting an exhaust and cold air intake to make a little more power
>pic is my stang

>the 2 things that make no power
oooookay

The cold air intake is more for my personal preference, when opening the hood i like seeing an CDI and not a big ass black box, the exhaust is proven to give a little bit more power, not anything crazy but it sounds good .

*CAI

® The peak numbers at one RPM and throttle% combo mean nothing.
® The numbers without gearing and differential ratios mean nothing.
® The numbers without understanding the rev range for each gear and differences in ratios between gears mean nothing.
® The numbers without total wet weight mean nothing.
® The numbers mean nothing if your car runs on 1"-wide polyurethane skateboard wheels.

The peak power/tq numbers don't mean shit, Morty.

Here is my proof.
carthrottle.com/post/engineering-explained-exhaust-systems-and-how-to-increase-performance/

auto.howstuffworks.com/how-much-horsepower-does-cold-air-intake-add.htm

The fuel management systems were the biggest improvement

180hp/tonne
240Nm/tonne

Intake, tb and elbow and catless exhaust adds about 20whp on those Mustangs. Swap PI H/C/I and it's almost 100whp over stock.

Probably already said but the weight-to-horsepower ratio is more important than the number. IMO a fiesta with 200hp is more fun than a 305hp charger. Unless you prefer high speeds in a straight line then the charger may be for you.

Most Mustang "cold air intakes" don't actually draw in cold air. The stock airbox breaths from outside the engine compartment. If you can see the filter in a CAI you're getting a hot air intake.

Chrisfix dynoed his Mustang before/after putting a full performance exhaust on it. Got about 10HP increase. Not worth the effort in my mind but it does work.

Hand-Operated Shifty Steven

Silly question, where do fourth gen Mustangs actually have their airbox leading to? I know on Crown Vics it goes to a trumpet-end right behind the driver's side headlight, but the Mustangs have the whole intake system going towards the passenger side instead.

Inside the passenger's side fender.

"Cold air intake and exhaust" so a short ram and an axle back.

depends on the car

these days 400 hp is like the standard fast car number

300hp was as impressive 20 years ago

That's not a CAI. That's a short ram. Literally does nothing but provide you with a larger pleated filter that sucks up more dirt.

OP here, I was considering getting 3.73 if not 4:10 gears at some point in the future. How much would this effect the performance? It's the only mod I can think of without dumping thousands into it.
Or is it pretty much pointless, just drive it as it is until I can afford a better car?

Gears make a very noticeable difference. Most people go for 3.73s with the 5spd.

>technologies have improved to let us get more power from our engines
Higher compression is a new technology?

>How much would this effect the performance?

Fair improvement. Mustangs stock have super tall highway gearing.

A full breather mod setup which’ll include a cai, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, x/h pipe, exhaust, and tune creates a solid 40 horsepower