Why isn't Lotus the king manufacturer of Veeky Forums?

Why isn't Lotus the king manufacturer of Veeky Forums?
>no crossovers/SUVs
>makes purely driver oriented cars
>all cars are manual+RWD
>produces some of the best sports cars on the market, and helped create one of the best sports saloons ever in the Carlton/Omega
inb4 Lots of Trouble Usually Serious

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

too expensive.

People generally don't like Britain on Veeky Forums

>British quality meme
>most of Veeky Forums cannot afford anywhere near a lotus

>Do I want a Espirit V8 Twin Turbo?
Yes.
>Will I ever get one?
kek

Because Toyota engines.

the engines are fine for the cars to be fair, an Elise wouldn't benefit from shoving a bigger engine in it too much

That's actually why I would get a modern Lotus.

Also this: >>Do I want a Espirit V8 Twin Turbo?
>Yes.
My man.

What does Lotus stand for again?

would buy an elise long before anything else mid-engined

even an exige?

depending on price point. regardless, i'd rather have the smaller and lighter car.

>implying toyota engines with yamaha heads aren't god-tier
what are you on about

>implying a car with a Toyota engine, no gadgets and a solid gearbox will have serious problems

>>makes purely driver oriented cars
>>all cars are manual+RWD
>>only make sports cars

and if they sold out and became family friendly suv & sedan manufacturers you'd probably see them as often as anything else. but despite being produced in large numbers, they are expensive niche cars.

From what I understand most of the bits that are lotus damage rather easily and are a pain to replace/repair. You are right about the motor though.

Veeky Forums is a bunch of poorfags worshipping 'clean tastefully modded 90s shitboxes'.

Any part ordered is 6 times more expensive to get and takes 4 months from order date to even ship because the body is handmade- then it costs engineering fees because none of the hardware comes with it and all of the holes for headlights and such never fit and have to be fixed before the car can even be put together.
And the paint sucks a dick so you have to repaint the whole car to make it match.
Souce: pic related cost over $14k just for the body work

>$14k

Cost to benefit ratio

Cheaper mid engined cars exist:
MR2 mk3
More luxurious sports cars exist:
Mx5 NC/ND, Alfa 4C
More value for money cars exist
Literally any other car

Dude wasn't paying attention and ran it up underneath a truck.
It sat in the shop for 10 months total because the mechanics had to replace a very large chunk of the glued-together aluminum and fiberglass spaceframe in the front end.

just get a cateram

my mum has an M100 Elan S2, here's a list of the things that have been replaced/repaired

the immobiliser
the roof
the seats
the headlight motors

after being side-swiped on the left side, insurance paid for that side to be resprayed & the wheels refurb'd and it looks amazing.

the engine & turbo, brakes, steering (basically the important parts) are golden, and it sails through every MOT test.

forgot to mention it took about 3 weeks for the repair work to the body, they did an amazing job but said it was one of the most difficult fixes they'd ever done

>literally a Corolla in reverse

Lix Ot Ugain Sony!

>alloroC
hmm

None drive as well as an Elise though

Caterham 7 of your choice

>masturbates furiously over any old toyota/honda engine
>except when it's on a respectable supercar

keep being Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums.

Because the MR2 exists

You can't get one for

>all cars are manual+RWD

Ahem

perhaps OP only meant the cars they currently produce

>tfw you will never drive this
youtube.com/watch?v=HmscSzFurwg

Even a MR@?

My dream car is 2nd gen Elise and 25000 USD isn't all that much. I noticed 2005-2008 have been going up in price though, should've gotten one when I had the chance.
However I'm sorta there already since I drive 3rd gen MR2....2ZZ + 6MT along with other mods.
But yeah, Lotuses are nice.

Also thank you for this post.

And also the 211 is the ult production Lotus.

Weighs only 1500

Nice Kia

Because British.

T. Ausfag

Look Out! The Ultimate Shitbox.

Probably the expense and relative exclusivity.Maybe lack of power. I'd say the relatively wide embrace of the MR2 means we're close enough. My dad has an Elise and my god it is sexy af and so much fun to drive. If you have the chance to drive one you have to do it. I'm usually pissed scared to push it at all because any body damage means replacing one or both clamshells, but it's worth it just to see what a car feels like when it's truly driving oriented.

It brings up a good question though. Is there a consensus king manufacturer of Veeky Forums?

elise can be had for 10k

>More luxurious sports cars exist:
>Mx5 NC/ND, Alfa 4C
I don't think you understand sports cars you fucking retard

owned one. was disappointing. never again.

Same here,
Drive MRS but 1zz, no intention to engine swap only to spend the same money making the car lighter.

>tfw mr2
>tfw most cars here are audis and bimmers
>tfw even second gen MR2 will beat them in drag and destroy them in twisties
>tfw they try hooking up to me on twistie start entry, dissapear beyond the first corner and I see them only at the end when waiting for a stop light
MRS most underrated car of the century
Or BMW is insanely overrated

Maybe in the UK. Just checked Autotrader and Carsdotcom and the lowest I saw was $24k for a pretty beat one with accidents.

can't speak for the first or third gen MR2, but the SW20 I owned was a fucking pig and i hated it after a week.

And won't be available in the US for a long while, because the geriatric kikes up top say all cars have to be safe, as if anyone would buy a lotus elise expecting to survive a crash.

Same country has states where motorcycle helmets are optional, endorsements are gained by weaving between cones and doing a circle, and everyone gets a turbocharged hayabusa as their first bike.

Yeah AW11s and ZZW30s aren't like that. ZZW30 is down on power though and really needs a swap of some kind to be truly quick.

>luxurious
>sports car

The lotus is the sportbike of sportscars. If you don't understand the appeal and think it's better to buy a shitbox toyota, a miata, a luxury barge, or a 3k civic you probably don't like cars at all.

2zz seems to be the consensus, although i understand a few people have had success with K swaps. the SW20 is too confused about what it wants to be for it to be competent. wasn't very quick, didn't handle particularly well. turned me off to MR/RR layouts.

The SW20 is a fucking gorgeous car though. Easily the best looking of the 3 and the fastest depending on the variant. Yeah I'm going K swap all the way with my MR-S. There's such a huge aftermarket for those engines that after the initial layout for the swap making stupid power is generally gonna be pretty cheap compared to the equivalent 2ZZ. Plus dat Honda tranny.

Its okay you are allowed to hate a car even if I love it.
I'd say ask to drive a turd or first gen if you get the opportunity.
I feel like zzw30 power is fine as long as you don't fall out of gear. I'd rate
>lightweight wheels, good grippy rubber
>proper coilovers
>weight reduction
>bucket seat

to be the most important mods if you want to track it.
Engine swap is a non issue for me, really since it won't make that much a difference seeing as tracks are all really tight and I want to see how far I can take the 1zz. Maybe it's far enough so I can give the middle finger to all the drag racer fags

i owned a turbo, with a hardtop no less, and it was really unfortunately slow. the turbo lag is immense. i'll admit the looks of the thing drew me in but it really is just an attractive shape. the performance does not back up its design. gl with your swap. i'm not competent enough to try that shit.

yeah any of the MR2's is kind of a worthless purchase unless you have super twisty roads less than 30 mins from your house

>i'm not competent enough to try that shit.
Nor am I which I'm going to be paying someone to do it for me.

I dont want to by a sport car with 4 cylinder, even if it's light it's shitty engine...
I like the exige with it's v6 but the price...
So I bought a 987 Cayman S

>Dude wasn't paying attention and ran it up underneath a truck.
What, was he asleep?

Lots of trouble, usually serious!

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

because it's fucking pointless
it's an overrated track car that brings absolutely no joy on the normal roads, and if so why no go all the way and just get a caterham?

I dont like how they look

>no crossovers/SUVs
not for long, last week it has been bought by Geely

Also Boxster for all 3 if you don't mind being called a faggot every now and then.

A friend of mine has an elise. He dailied it to work. And drove it from Philly to Indy for Gencon a time or two. Said it was way more pleasant on the highway than his beater saturn.

He's a skinny fuck though. If you are a regular sized american, maybe stick with a car for fat people.

Hello Klausenpass.

...is it?

your imaginary friend can fuck off
anybody who driven one of these things will admit how uncomfortable they are no matter how manlet or skinny you are
not to mention, it's not even about a driving position