I want to learn to work on cars so bad but i dont know where to start

I want to learn to work on cars so bad but i dont know where to start.
>live in an apartment
>no tools to speak of
>no friends or family who work on cars
>work a faggy office job that severly reduces any free-time i might have to fuck with my car

it just fucking sucks. i dont want to keep getting buttfucked by shops for stuff i could probably do in a weekend with someone semi-knowledgeable and a few tools.

>mfw wrenchlet

Iktf.
Bumping for interest

>be trailertrash
>have a garage
>got me a ratchet set and a set of ramps
>work a shitty retail job

plenty of time to be white trash and drink beer while trying not to break everything i touch.

Yeah, don't go to a shop to learn unless you want to get treated like their bitch and do nothing but change oil all day and maybe get the chance to learn something about a car other than how to change oil on it, if you aren't busy changing oil.

at least im not the only one. it seems like everyone else in this board is some sort of master mechanic. its frustrating because im not stupid and i know i could learn if i just had someone to help me, or even if i just had a junk car and unlimited free time to screw with it..but i have neither of those things

im truly jealous user.

Most people here aren't master mechanics by any means, just normal dudes who like to tinker with their cars and fix issues when they pop up.

Its not too hard to get into, the internet has a very large knowledge base that you can access pretty easily with google searches and youtube videos.
Try and pick one issue with your vehicle you'd like to fix, or one project you'd like to do on it. Start with a google search about it. Read some forum threads, even ask on Veeky Forums about it. You'll be able to figure out what tools you'll need this way. Then crawl under your car whereever its parked and get to work on a weekend.

>>live in an apartment
NUMALE
U
M
A
L
E

you probably have more money tho, rent a garage or something

fuck you. i can't afford a house by myself

man im doing OK, but i dont have a whole lot of extra cash. i make like $40k/year but if you ask ((Veeky Forums)) thats basically extreme 3rd-world poverty tier.

Most of Veeky Forums is sub 30k wagecucks who feel bad about it, you're doing just fine.

this lol
do you think that the wendys chef thing started out as a joke?

>tfw 23k a year

A-atleast montana is cheap as fuck to live in and my husband brings 30k a year

There really isn't that many people who really know more than some of the more "basic" advance level shit, to be frank.

if you need to do work, at like 2 or 3am find some empty parking with lights and just do it there. bring your jack stands and tools and yeah go for it

wait, youre a grill?

That's uniquely an Veeky Forums thing where if you make less than 6 figures, have a car payment, or drive anything other than an economy car you're a stupid pleb.

He's a faggot.

THIS

It's a faggot. Don't talk to it

I'd start with just buying a shitty old lawnmower engine or something and just fuck around with that. that's what I did when I was like 14 or 15. just get yourself familiar with engines and layout and replacing bits.

This, do not engage sodomites

everyone on here is a master wrencher like everyone on biz is a successful trader and everyone on fit is jacked

Get a manual for your car (Haynes, Chilton's, Bentley, etc.).
ChrisFix on YouTube will help you. He is your friend. If you have a basic problem or simple mod, it's likely he has a video on it. All of his videos make everything seem retard tier easy to do.

The manual will have everything written out step by step, and ChrisFix is good for visualizing what will be going on, and generally what things will look like. Granted, unless you have a the same car as in his video, it's not going to match 100%.

for tools you can probably get some stuff from harbor freight. A basic socket set, breaker bar, torque wrench, and a box end wrench set should do you good for a while. that's all you need for most stuff anyway.
ChrisFix's videos show all the tools he uses, so it's a good idea to pause and see.

Most apartments have garages for rent for ~$100 usd a month. Start there, and maybe buy a project car to work on. Working/learning on your daily driver is a risky move if you have a full time job.

thanks anons. i guess i just need to nut up and spend some money on tools