What did Veeky Forums do to their car today?

What did Veeky Forums do to their car today?

I painted my shitty baja bug and broke my ignition switch today.

Don't worry about the overspray, I'm replacing the front windshield and going to scrape off the rest of the overspray with a razor later on today.

painted my rear bumper after a bitch hit me

diagnosed the horrid rattling noise my civic was making
thank fuck it was just an idler pully for the serpentine belt and not an fucked engine

i bought a bug eye fiberglass kit for my soon to be baja bug.

put my car in last week for road worthy
they picked 3 things, 1 was expected, 2 weren't.
Rust in the roof
Exhaust noise level
Fog light lens colour

- removed the fog lights (will put them back on after its done)
- booked in for the rust repair
and yesterday, took the car to get tested for its noise level. needed to be 90 dB, it was 98 dB.

fug

took it to a muffler shop who are going to make a quieter one for it on thursday. will decide if i swap it back to the loud one depending on how it sounds i guess after road worthy.

Drove it about 8 miles to get 5 bottles of robogels, smoking an unfiltered lucky strike on the way (I'm a classy guy).

Put in $3.66 worth of gas in the tank because that's all I happened to have left with me and I hadn't brought my debit card.

Redlined it only once, in 3rd gear on a highway on-ramp.

That's it. I spent most of the day playing New Vegas or shitposting here.

>all that overspray on the windshield

I went all out with my rattlecan job mainly because the car was stripped down while I did "restoration" anyway, but why not tape around the edges of the windows for a clean job?

Haven't done anything in a while though since I went fucking broke getting it driveable.

I converted my electrical from 6 volt to 12v. it took a couple days because I had to wait on parts

I fucked up, thats what i did.
>broke windshield wiper arm
>take car out for a test run, find out th350 wont shift into 3rd
God i hope its a vacume line or something minor.
>make a u-turn, rear tire blows.
Fml... i dont have the cash for this right now....

idk if the same is true for automotive glass but house painters recommend just not giving a fuck and using a scraper for glass.

tape literally everything else but it's, for whatever reason, easier to scrape paint off of glass than to get the gummy shit from tape off. It's almost like some kind of glue or something.

How do you plan to use the scraper without hitting the painted metal and ruining the paint?

I only taped off all the seals and trim I wanted left clean, just put newspapers up to minimize the amount of scraping I'd do. I'm an impatient man and wanted as much time as possible with the sun up to paint the first coat before the morning dew could fuck anything up the day after.

A razorblade does short work of overspray surprisingly well, if you vertical to the glass you will never scrape it as the hardness of glass is pretty tough compared to a thin layer of spray paint. As for the seals and metal trim just don't be stupid and take your time. On all the cars I've rattlecanned I've never had a problem with this method. Just remember to swap the blade every paintjob and you'll be fine.

I'm going to rattlecan my beetle, got any tips?

Going to vinyl wrap my shift knob as soon as I'm done with class since it's peeling.

I opened my dome light to clean out the dead bugs.

sup bobby its nate

failed once again to find out why it doesnt werk

Just throw some resonaters in the tailend of things and it will hush up

I sold my camaro today and looked at parts for my mustang

I found out what was making a clicking sound from inside my steering wheel. Loose screw.

I rewired my battery terminals because the last kid who owned my shitbox nigger rigged the battery with a fucking bungie chord so it flops everywhere when I run the touge.

short list:
>>preparation
>remove everything that you want or can before painting
some things need replacing if you remove them with destructive methods, keep this in mind
>get the surfaces you want to paint clean
I used just a wet rag and scrubber for dirt, adhesives and stuff I used solvents like acetone
>treat the rust
whatever method you prefer
>do bodywork
scratches and dings show up nice and clear under fresh glossy paint, using filler stuff is easy but requires a lot of sanding to match the original shape perfectly
>sand
400 grit seemed to not leave visible marks in the paint, go higher grit if you want
>get the sanding dust off
moist rag is good
>mask
I cut up a cheap dropcloth and used blue painter's tape

>>painting
>practice how to spray a nice even coat on some cardboard
distance from surface, speed you move, and width between spray lines matter
>never spray unless your hand is moving
you'll end up with a drip where you start or end a spray line
>first coat doesn't have to be prefect, it's a good way to get a method of painting the vehicle figured out
avoid making drips though since they show through coats
>light sanding with fine grits between coats can help smooth out orange peel and distinguish where you've painted since the last coat
I had trouble with this and ended up with some bad areas since I couldn't tell what was the current coat or the last coat. make sure to clean up the dust after sanding too
>wait a day between coats (if sanding between coats) and a couple days before reinstalling stuff after the final coat
the paint stays a bit soft for a while after "drying", it's easy to nick or scrape when putting things on or handling parts, also soft paint clogs sandpaper quickly making it worthless

If I didn't cover something just ask.

nothing at all. getting a free wheel/tire balance tomorrow because of really bad front end shake at ~75mph, although i suspect bad bearings and/or warped rotors, too.

Thanks for the info, I'm using a matte paint so I don't think I will have to worry about the orange peel

If you get matte paint get the expensive stuff. Otherwise your car will end up looking like a chalkboard after a few washes and hooning and you'll end up being "that guy" at the car meets

any brand that you would recommend