Hey Veeky Forums, when changing the oil is it important to use a new drain plug / drain plug gasket...

hey Veeky Forums, when changing the oil is it important to use a new drain plug / drain plug gasket? do you replace them often?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.deviantart.com/community/politics/2232999/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who is this creature.

I have a bag of them, so I always replace it when I change my oil. But nothing bad will happen if you reuse one.

I worked at a mitsubishi dealership for many years. The OEM gaskets (pic related) would crush into an oblivion the first time you tighten them down.

If you've got thick gaskets, solid copper or aluminium ones (honda is a good example) then you can usually flip the gasket around and re-use the other side for another change. If you've got gaskets that actually crush, don't reuse'em.

if you didn't have a long hair fetish, you do now :^)

Just get one of these it makes the whole process really fast and easy

cousin it

honda type aluminium drain plug gasket for reference

I'm like 80% sure my eclipse didn't have one of those when I changed the oil. I never knew that was a thing.

I don't know if I trust a $0.02 spring to hold my engine's oil in.

Since it was a dealer, we used OEM stuff. They basically spin right off, so they're not annoying, unlike the OEM nissan ones. They crush and somehow fucking bind to the threads and you usually have to cut them off.

pic-fucking-related

i'd put a ball valve on there before i'd ever use that thing

So buy one that costs $34 and be happy with your 5 dollar spring that comes from the same place.

Why not? Your more likely to hit a pothole and poke a hole oil pan than have that thing fail

those shits are terrifying as fuck no way i'd use that

Post more long hair

I use one of these on a lowered car and have been for a long time. Was kinda paranoid at first but I've never gotten close to hitting it on anything. My exhaust header hangs lower.

Can just run a hose from the valve to an empty bottle for clean oil changes. Only use the pan to catch the oil from the filter.

This is a thing? I've never replaced one. Never had one leak either. My oil leaks are mostly main seal or valve cover.

In what way?

remember when this trend got called racist because black women couldn't do it?

I think youre making that up

>Just get one of these it makes the whole process really fast and easy
This doesn't eliminate the need for a drip pan because changing the oil filter still has drip.. And with this, you now need a hose. Another thing is that you can see the opening where the oil comes out is now a lot smaller than the opening with the threads. So it takes longer to drain the oil and the sludge residue that sinks to the bottom of the oil pan.

>I think youre making that up
Not that guy, but your inexperience is what makes your denial false. In that sense, you are the one making things up (although not deliberately). The reason is simply that the NAACP and activist groups look for ANY reason, no matter how miniscule, to claim racism and then use that as an excuse to get the changes they want. For example, in my city, a new bridge replacement was built and it had more striking aesthetic features since it was new. The NAACP promptly filed a lawsuit saying the bridge was racist since the visual features caused mental pressure for blacks to stay on one side of the bridge and not go to school. Thus the NAACP requested more funding for the black community to offset the effect of the new bridge. Heck, if it was legal for activists to file a discrimination lawsuit if you clipped your fingernails, they'd do it just to get more money or concessions. It's an "industry" now to make money from discrimination lawsuits.

I replace the copper washer and that's it.

When the fuck did throwing away the drain plug become a scam?

retard

Holy shit you're joking?
I'll never advocate violence, but these people are a social bacteria and we need bleach. It's like patent troll businesses, but worse. That's our fucking tax money.

well I did some google searches and found nothing, so no, I am not making anything up. although I do understand that it's very possible that maybe tomorrow I'll read about how "long soft hair being let down from a bun videos" on instagram are racist.

things I tried to search for "long hair racist site:reddit.com OR site:neogaf.com OR site:tumblr.com" and variations of the like... it doesn't exist -- yet.

I don't believe your embellished SJW boogeyman horror story without a link

You're not very skeptical to believe a steep tale like that so easily.

lol dis

my ls1 has a rubber gasket type ring

reused it for 2 years and only changed oil filter twice

forum.deviantart.com/community/politics/2232999/

As a WRX owner, I swear by the OEM drain plug crush washers. I once foolishly thought I could get away with not using one. Next day I noticed an oil drip beneath the car. Next oil change I did, I bought a 6-pack of Subaru filters with included drain plug washers and I've never seen a single drop of oil hit the ground in 20k miles.

>remember when this trend got called racist by a single poster on deviantart back in 2016?

How can it be racist? She's not even white look at that nose

>Buy half case of oem oil filters on Amazon
>Frequently bought together: bag of drain plug gaskets
Ezpz

The drain plug is not necessary unless it's stripped. I do change the washer every time.

You don't need a hose. In fact mine doesn't even have a nipple to attach a hose too.
And why does your engine have sludge in it user? Don't you take care of your car? Don't you make sure it's clean and sludge free?

There's nothing terrifying about them.

It is a ball valve.

You trust your engine to a lot of cheap small parts that could fail. A small spring in a valve that should stay closed without the spring should be the least of your worries.
The only reason not to have a fumoto valve is if you're a stance fag and you scrape your car along the ground or you rally/offroad your vehicle without an undertray.