Freelance Website

Hey Veeky Forums,
I've been thinkin about starting a freelance type site that taps into an untapped market and I was hoping I could get some assistance figuring out where to start from you guys. Basically what I want to do with my website is have a site much like Fiverr, where a contractor puts their service up as a listing, and those interested can purchase it at a set time. Our website acts as a third party, holding each party accountable for their part (money is paid to the website, if customer doesn't show the contractor gets it, if contractor doesn't show customer gets refunded and it will show on the profile of the contractor that they failed to arrive). It also certalizes this idea which makes customers more likely to look into it. Thoughts on this? Also, I had some questions:
> If I wanted to create a website for people to connect on and use it as a medium, where would I start? I assume there's no "easy make-your-own" for that sort of thing, should I hire someone to do it, do it myself, or what, and if so what should I expect that to run me?
> Do I need to register anything or anything like that if I want to make an eCommerce business?
> How do I keep a copycat from springing up, given it becomes popular? Patent??

Other urls found in this thread:

escrow.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

anyone? I just want thoughts, doesn't matter if you think its smart or stupid

I have made a few websites over the past few years with no coding/ programming knowledge.. I live in the UK so my advice is only representative of my situation but it should be considered to be universal.

> If I wanted to create a website for people to connect on and use it as a medium, where would I start? I assume there's no "easy make-your-own" for that sort of thing, should I hire someone to do it, do it myself, or what, and if so what should I expect that to run me?

-Register your chosen domain name at 123-reg.co.uk
-Using that platform, find the Wordpress hosting package
-Use wordpress to create your site, mostly click and drop

Alternatively:
-Register domain at 123reg
-Go to Weebly.com
-Create a site using their platform (easier)
-Use your registered domain on the weebly hosting service

> Do I need to register anything or anything like that if I want to make an eCommerce business?
Again, dependent on where you are, unless its earning over 100k profit yearly... I wouldn't bother at all... if that does occur... worry about it at a later date/ get advice of someone professionally as opposed to a Vietnamese sugarcane growing forum!

> How do I keep a copycat from springing up, given it becomes popular? Patent??
You generally cant, just ensure your the first to do it and become the go-to-name!

you mean you want to setup an escrow service?

Also,

>A freelance type version of Fiverr for peoples/contractors services, with your site being the "third party middleman" and review centre

Is not considered an >untapped market although i cant point you to a specific site, maybe theres as reason for this... i.e. its not needed as people can easily use small claim courts if contract terms are not met.

Sorry, what I meant was the target market and the angle I plan to apply has not been done before, nor have I seen anything like it.

Small claims court is good and all, but the services I'm planning to facilitate will be not be the kind nor involve enough money for peopel to bother going to court over.

Also, the "contractors" I'm plannign to target don't really do this service yet, but if they had considered it I'm sure they would've as it'd make them money easily

escrow.com/

not untapped im afraid opie

No, this is a different thing than an escrow service. It's for a specific target market and offers a service people haven't offered before, hopefully cementing the precedent that this is the site to go to for that service.

To make it easier to discuss without getting into specifics, imagine it as a website used to allow small-league celebrities to schedule appearances for events, college football players to play football with the little league teams or birthday parties or whatever, and that sort of thing.
That's not what it is or even really close but it gets the idea in your mind, it's that same sort of setup

I guess one part of it *would* be an escrow service, but the other part is having a central website dedicated to these specific kinds of listings for different purposes (whether you want a celebrity to make an appearance or a pro football player to play on your team so you kick ass)

>Our website acts as a third party, holding each party accountable for their part (money is paid to the website, if customer doesn't show the contractor gets it, if contractor doesn't show customer gets refunded and it will show on the profile of the contractor that they failed to arrive).

An escrow is
"a contractual arrangement in which a third party receives and disburses money or documents for the primary transacting parties, with the disbursement dependent on conditions agreed to by the transacting parties"

I don't understand how it's not escrow other than you wanting to add a reputation system to the end of it?

Like, it is escrow partially, but also it acts as a central place for listings/advertisements. Like how many businesses opt to make a facebook page rather than a full-fledged website because it's so much easier to just look it up and like it on facebook rather than signing up on a site

Like Ebay is partially escrow but they also connect sellers and buyers

If its from the angle of/ involvement of cryptocurrency... Then don't bother, you will get anally fucked by your government unless you know your shit to an elitist level, know illuminate members to get the government of your back, live in uzbekifrajewistan where the government dont care

So its an escrow version of craigslist?

so you want the ebay of escrow without the bidding?

a service where "contractors" list their services, then money goes into an escrow system until the job is complete or isn't and that's reflected in their profile / reputation / reviews??

look at darknet markets they pretty much have this system already for illicit services.

Oh my god...
Nothing I want to do is illegal! I just don't want to talk about it because ya'll are better than me at this and will beat me to the punch if my idea IS that good.

I didn't say what you want to do is illegal. I'm saying a service already exists for what you a trying to do it's just used currently to market illicit services. you can still look at how they operate and gain an understanding of how feasible your idea is, get ideas, inspiration .ect

Mate you've clearly done 0 research. I get work on a two sites that is literally exactly what you're saying. Don't start a fucking waste of space thread when you haven't even took the effort to google something so simple first.

>
a service where "contractors" list their services, then money goes into an escrow system until the job is complete or isn't and that's reflected in their profile / reputation / reviews??
Yes, but the difference beign this site isn't general-purpose. It's for a specific set of people (well-known in their field) to offer a couple of services that they *could* offer right now but there's no easy way to do it without setting up their own system for it.
If that's how the DNMs do it (I've never been there), then I guess it would be similar to that, just instead of illicit services it's a perfectly legal service that no one has thought to make money off of yet.

Not for the service I'm thinking of, though. It's not general-purpose it's for a sub-market demographic, much like how there are buy/sell sites but there's also CSGO Skin specific ones. Doesn't make the skin ones redundant, as they have a specific purpose

I'm sorry that I'm nto able to explain it clearly enough, but I was hoping the topic of the thread was more "How do I go about setting this up" rather than "Will this work". That's what I need help with; if it's a waste of time just let me waste me time.

>Muh I'm the next Ebay/Amazon/Craigslist

You didn't even know what an Escrow service was buddy, chances are your idea is already out there slowly dying or it already crashed and burned.
Or just look at how sites in the Darknet operate and that should give you an idea of what you wanna do, even if its in a legal context. but like I said, there's a reason why surface web sites like Ebay use their current system and Underground Illicit Markets use something akin to what you're describing.

I never said I'm the next ebay/craigslist, nor do I expect to be... :(
This site would be niche. Not everyone would use it, very few but if I get it off the ground it would be a useful tool for the community that I believe they would rally around.
I don't really understand why you feel the need to mock me like that, I've got an idea and I've made no pretentious claims like you're mocking me for. It would be a useful tool and one that I don't believe has been created yet (I have done research to confirm this). All I'm really asking is the best way to go about it.
I'm not sure where your hostility is coming from but I'm sure you'd feel a lot better both about yourself and in general if you start sending out positivity instead of negativity where neither is really due. This is but a yugoslavian beet-pickling forum, there's no need to be so angry.

Learn to code or spend a lot of money hiring someone, your 2 options.

You are going to need html css php and mysql most likely.

Spend 2 years learning to code. Spend another year studying product development and sales.

Or hire someone.
Like me ;) my company can build this for you. We like to take people from “Idea phase” to the “I’m making fucking stacks on stacks with real life customers”