What is the truth Veeky Forums? Does heat and air conditioning use up my gas or I'd it a rumor?

What is the truth Veeky Forums? Does heat and air conditioning use up my gas or I'd it a rumor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1es4vtQI5ew
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>requires more power from the engine, so the engine needs more gas to run that extra power
Gee I dunno user

What?

AC uses more power for sure. On small cars you can easily feel the power difference between air on and air off. Engine is working harder.

Heat won't in any tangible way. You could argue that because the cooling system is being helped that the thermo would be less open and thus making the water pump work harder but it would be unbelievably miniscule

In modern cars, using ac barely uses any fuel.

Mythbusters did the whole windows down vs ac vs controlled thing at 60mph with an excusrsion. Full to empty, i think ac was like 3-4 miles less per tank.

Heat: No, its literally just a second radiator in the cabin.
AC: Yes, just watch your engine speed go up when it idles and you turn it on.

>Does heat use up my gas?
No. It utilises a relatively small electric motor that sucks air into the cabin through a radiator that is hooked up to the cooling.
>Does air conditioning use up my gas?
Yes. It uses a compressor that is run by the crankshaft to compress a gas which stresses the engine.

On a vehicle that gets 10 mpg it doesn't make a big difference. It's not going to get much more or less than 10mpg no matter what you do.
In an econobox it certainly does make a difference.
Mythbusters is dumb for not knowing an Excursion gets pretty much the same mpg no matter what the conditions are. The range is like 9.5 to 11 mpg, from fully loaded, driving like a madman with a/c on amd windows open, to driving very conservatively.

In my sonic a.c. off gets me 32mpg

A.c. on is 30.8 mpg

That's not an accurate mpg

with AC on at full blast I really have to gas it in to slip into first or my car will stall out easy. No AC, no fans, and popping into first is like a dream. maybe a tiny bit of gas but that's it

Huh??

It does make a difference but it's so small it doesn't matter.

You can also see it on current cosumption while idling, in my case it is around 0.4l/h without AC vs 0.6-0.7l/h with AC on.

Of course it doesn't make any difference in a huge SUV with a torquey engine, but it's different in a 100ft/lbs econobox

Well yeah, it's a belt driven accessory on your engine so when you turn it on it takes some power to run which would probably decrease your fuel economy a bit.

Makes bugger all difference though desu, not driving like a leadfoot would have more of an impact than turning the AC off.

What about eat? Or what about air on without "cooling" on?

Heat*

Heat doesn't make any difference, it's just waste heat from engine.

So I can have heat on full blast and it won't drain gas?

Bump

Dude its just blowing air over your coolant lines.

>Press read window defrost button
>Engine idle revs up another 300 rpm

I feel every additional weight and button presses stressing my shitbox cuck engine

>tfw you want to talk about cars but nobody around you understands conservation of energy.

Well it depends. When engine heat is abundant and you have electric engine cooling fan the heat sent through the hvac system will more or less balance out by reducing demand of the cooling fan.

If it's cold as balls out the heat stolen by the hvac system will translate to increased engine load in order to maintain operating temperature.

I will concede though that it's a trivial amount of energy. As long as you aren't driving with your Windows up and pissing away heat.

What is this suppose to mean?

youtube.com/watch?v=1es4vtQI5ew

Mythbusters did a video on it ages ago

watch it

doesnt matter if your fan is full blast or not. that doesnt matter at all. you can have it lowest fan speed, or highest fan speed.

if the compressor is on is all that matters.

Wrong. The fan uses energy too. It's just exponentially less than the ac compressor.

such a tiny tiny minuscule amount. You wont even notice it. not even on an econobox.

It's an over simplification of how the heating system works. Basically there's a little mini radiator on the coolant loop called the heater core. And when you turn your heat on a fan draws air over the heater core and into the passenger compartment. On newer cars with good weather sealing and electric fans it's basically free heat because the energy used by the heater is recouped by reducing the load on the engine cooling system.

Compressor as in air compressor?

Yes, but I've read not as much as having your windows open over 30mph or something.

You, my man, are a retard

When it comes down to it, no one really needs anything more than a 4 speed automatic 2016 Toyota Cororlla

Ugly people should never have access to cameras. Ugly fuck. Disgusting and disrespectful to the board.

Technically freon but yes

>literally disputing the most fundamental law of physics.
If there's an Veeky Forums version of the laughing girls someone hook me up please.

Lemme explain how car heating works, in smal words so you understand. There is no HVAC for cars. There is a heater core, which circulates coolant. Your heater fan blows air over a coil that heats the air from your engines heat. That is where the heat in your cabin comes from, and why people complain about their heater core leaking coolant in the passenger cabin.There is no furnace, ac unit or any other sort of thing you bus riders think exist.Its hot coolant in a radiator sort of config, with a blower that moves air over it. Fucking toothless inbred

He means as you siphon heat out of the coolant through the heater core you're reducing the need for the radiator fan to operate, but that only matters if you're stationary since the fan isn't engaged when moving anyway.

Running the heat on high WILL help an overheating car, but just barely.Not enough to enforce this clowns claims...

Waste of digits. Kys brainlet.
Hvac = heating ventilation air conditioning.
Yes. Cars have an hvac system.
Even if it's named "VTEC JDM FAGGOT FAN CONTROLLER" it's technically an HVAC system.

I think drag
Old cars are fucked tho and will always use more with the ac running

Underrated

both of these statements are true in one way or another.

the blower fan if its an older style uses a resistor pack, meaning it dissipates the same amount of energy regardless of the blower motor speed. so you might as well use full power to actually move air, instead of just generating heat somewhere on the vehicle.

and the ac compressor does in fact use more energy overall if the blower fan is on high, as more heat is removed from the evaporator causing the compressor to run longer to reach target low side temp/pressure requiring more power over a longer period of time.

this is in the realm of "plausible". normally heat is a byproduct of combustion, not a required element as long as its within certain boundaries.

i could see this being a possible problem if the engine could barely keep up temp to sustain combustion, such as idling an engine at the north pole in -30 weather. while the engine is running at 100* or less it will consume more fuel as the fuel is not atomizing properly at such low temps. However unless you live with polar bears i highly doubt this will ever occur, unless you have a mechanical issue that causes your engine to not regualte temp correctly like a bad thermostat.

NANI?