legacycode.itch.io/legacy-code
gimp.org/downloads/
pcpartpicker.com/list/DQJJQV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for Construct 2

Language wars are better than engine wars

nth for Go.

rust has no games

I wonder what happened to source poster.

he must be making all those stupid chicken threads

holes work properly now

w/ audio: i.4cdn.org/wsg/1497997110024.webm

not much progress lately, as I just closed on a house last week and moved over the weekend, but i'm hoping to have another set of levels ready for DD

game idea: zelda but you only have a shield

I've been wondering, how come the entire screen goes black when you change screens? Can you make the HUD stay visible? It just seems weird to have the entire HUD blink out of existance

I like the art style you've got going for this.

shield runs are best runs

the "effect", if you can call it that, is fairly placeholder so far. I want to do a zelda-style scroll but that's going to be a bit tough since enemies are rolled after the room is instantiated. Nothing that can't be fixed with surfaces

thanks user

Hell I don't mind the blink, at least keep the HUD on top.
Or you could go crazy and try to come up with a different room transition effect.

Boomerang when?

i love the face the skelly makes right before he falls into the hole

boomerang soon

>ive made a huge mistake

yep, that's me

Can a roguelike be non-turn-based?

>tfw programming saving/loading

No

What would such a game be, then?

believe it or not, it's relatively trivial to convert a discrete space /discrete time game into a continuous space / continuous time game, and preserve all of the mechanics.

Whether or not what you get is a roguelike is for the autists to argue over.

A traditional roguelike? No. One of the key defining features is turn based.
A modern roguelite can be real time or whatever you want.

People call them roguelites

A roguelike is turn based, grid based, has non-modal combat, has permadeath, and procedural generation.

If your game doesn't have those things it is a different genre. If your game has permadeath and procedural generation it will likely be labeled roguelite. But roguelite itself has no specific genre.

working GUIs suck

Roguelite has been stretched quite thin. I like "procedural death labyrinth".

we're hitting smug levels that shouldn't even be possible

Good to see this is still alive. It's looking good.

>i-frame dodging in a turn based game
I dunno but that sounds like it trivializes the combat.

IMGUI

Mario RPG has dodge and you can play the whole game without getting hit once.

surprisingly it doesn't, its a fairly precise timing that is needed, going off the tells of the enemies is really all you have. For me it's easy, but inexperienced players tend to die on the more basic of enemies.

>adding skill to a game trivializes the combat

there are already several games that do this lad

remember to test it on other people to make sure the tells really are tells and not just you knowing that they are there

Don't worry that is what we have been focusing on lately, people have been pretty helpful on pointing out unfairness

How are you possibly managing all the aspects of your games, especially those of you who are working on 3D projects? There is just too much work, at least if you want to make something decent. I'd like to get into this but I don't want to end up being a jack of all trades.

Where is the dev that needed a rig?

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Legacy Code
Dev: legcodev
Tools: GMS, Photoshop
Web: legacycode.itch.io/legacy-code
Progress:
+ Add a shitload of sounds
+ You can slam enemies into walls for more damage
+ Slide kick 101
+ Basic camera polish
+ New bg art
- Took a fat vacation from life

>make something decent
lmfao

>I don't want to end up being a jack of all trades
Explain

Placeholder models. Maybe not actually, cause there's a shitload of totally free, decently good TRAIN models out there. Im lucky enough to be able to handle the rest.

the old saying went : "Jack of all trades, master of One" not "Jack of all trades, master of none". So there's no Ye olde knowledge in avoiding being good at many things.

Pro tip: don't do it all yourself

Programmer-artist here, looking for a gimp

>going back to code after spending weeks on art

gimp.org/downloads/

Not that kind of gimp

godot vs go.

Helps me if I don't look at it as "Oh I have to do this and this and this and this" and instead just have smaller short term goals. Like by the end of this week I told myself I'm gonna finish modeling and texturing my castle. That's ALL I have to worry about. Not the music, not the NPC's, nothing but the modeling and texturing. Then next week I'll decide on a goal and do that.

If I start thinking about all the work I have to do overall, it suddenly seems like too big of a task to handle and Ill get flustered and want to quit. So I don't think about it.

IMO the worst thing about making a big game yourself is that if you don't like something you did, and want to re-do it, it takes up a significant % of your development time. If I make an environment and decide to scrap it, That's maybe an entire weeks worth of work., and so far I've scrapped maybe half of the stuff I've worked on for the game so far. If you're on a team, it's not as big of a deal, because progress is still being made by other members of the team. If you fuck something up, progress halts, or reverts back completely, and that can really take a toll on you mentally.

I usually go back and document the shit out of everything before I move to doing art for awhile so I'm not completely lost when I go back

God .

progress

Whip the Vote trailer ideas...

what progress? i've played that level since dd14, now you're just being an attention whore

start with a censored shot of a man whipping his penis out, overlay with "whip the vote" text at the climax moment

I'm going to learn Java through codeacademy. Will I be able to make a game with that? What engines is it compatible with?

just recreate shot for shot the intro of house of cards

Your best bet would be to do Unity afterwards, because C# and Java are really similar.

libgdx
codeacademy is shit

>Will I be able to make a game with that?
Yes, but the only successful Java games I know of are Runescape and Minecraft and they're both famous for running like shit.

>What engines is it compatible with?
None, but Unity uses C# which is basically Java for grown-ups.

Thanks. Added the hurt player and zombie sprites, still heavily based on Castlevania ones but at least not the same.

I love this game so fucking much.

>want to pick up an item and add it to my inventory in Unreal
>the most logical thing to do with the actor is delete it, since the inventory is not a physical place
>this means I can't store an actor reference but instead must use a class reference
>want to call a function on the object when I "use" it from the inventory
>can't call functions from class references, only from instances
What am I supposed to do
Teleport the actor out of the main level geometry instead of deleting it?
Instantiate a new actor, call the function, then delete it?

i hate how the zombie just walk out of the screen, it's stupid, it should stop close to the player then attack, stop, then follow the player again, make it die from two hits or three, first pushes him away, second kills him, at least this would work when you have a bunch of zombies

That looks very Castlevania-esque so I assume the zombies will spawn infinitely.

Actors are things that physically exist in the world so I question why you have such code in a Actor class to begin with

what are you making?

Is this a roguelike?

Where else would I put it? At a minimum, every consumable needs a "consume" function and every equipable item needs an "equip" function. I can't put functions in structs or I would've done that. What other options are there? All that comes to mind is creating a database containing a function for every item inside the GameInstance and passing that an item ID to feed into a switch statement to figure out which function to call. But that's stupid.

Any suggestions of what I should use if codeacademy is shit?

It's probably closer to a roguelite, although I usually just call it "roguelike-inspired" since people get so uppity about those terms.

But that's not how enemies worked in the original castlevania nibba.

PROCEDURAL
DEATH
LABYRINTH

were you inspired by monolith or nah?

seems extremely inspired by gameboy zeldas to me

Monolith is a neat game for sure

But nah, more inspired by dungeon-crawling and less bullethell

PDLs are cool too

Hi

I work on an open source yugioh browser game. We're currently unhappy with the appearance of the site and lack any artistic talent on our team.

If have skills in graphic design and CSS and are interested in joining our team or want to know more, please contact me on discord: Son-Kun#9895

some MIT course will be better

I thought you guys got shut down by Konami.

What and said.
They are supposed to spawn endlessly and are the first enemy you will find so they need to be somewhat easy to take on.
They kinda take 2 hits to kill though, you either destroy the torso first and then the legs or you destroy the legs and avoid the torso, which I failed to do here.

>discord
sorry not interested

>How are you possibly managing all the aspects of your games,
slowly
also I've got an artist, I'm handling everything but that
down the line I might hand off music to my sister because she's shown interest and she can play 4 or 5 instruments (which beats the fuck out of my 0 instruments)
but yeah, I work hard but I go slowly, especially since I got a day job

>going back to music after spending months on code
I legitimately don't know where one of my tracks came from, I'm worried I copied it as an exercise and then forgot

~

>we need an artist
>to make a game where all the card art has already been created
? ? ?

>consistently rotating between 3d modeling, art, music, and code
>never getting quite good at any of them

He literally said in the post he needs web dev to make the user interface.

weeb dev seeking weeb designer, need my waifu made real of the cheap

I'm a sucker for these kinds of retro dungeon crawlers. Keep up the good work.

10 days left
3k out of 5k

Can bokube make it?

*on the cheap fucking hands

i changed the background

>every retro dungeon crawler HAS to be monolith

You're a fucking retard

>3d modeling
>trying to gg
>second attempt looks worse than the first attempt
I'm ngm

Quit trying to do stuff alone.

Get someone who knows how to model to be a team with you.

>come back
>everything somehow got broke despite not touching it
>or maybe it always was this way

Dueling network was shutdown by nihon ad systems, there are plenty more yugioh sims (the shutting down of DN actually spawned more new ones).

two tries is nothing mang

fug I love Link's Awakening and I want to play this

Hey, who was the user who needed the rig?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DQJJQV

The total is $434.10, just the computer, no keyboard, mouse or monitor.
You can get it down to $414.10 with mail-in rebates.

This good enough for you? There is no sound card, so I suggest using the integrated audio until you can get yourself a DAC.

This rig can run GTA V on all ultra in 1080p resolution at more than 60 fps, never drops below 67.