Mods for a 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

My parents are giving me their 2009 Dodge Caliber SXT. It's paid off, it's 8 years old and has 120k miles on it. However, are there any cool engine modifications, accessories, etc. to boost performance? I'm completely new to the whole car thing. I want more horsepower, quicker acceleration, and more torque(?) not really sure. I think the Caliber is a pretty decent unique looking car and is fun to drive. Suggestions? Pic-Related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9cZHoVXJI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do they even make parts for Non SRT-4 Calibers?

sell it and buy a civic for 3k. coincidentally that's all this car is worth.

good question. I assume so, it only comes in 3 trim levels, mine being the 2/3 (the 3rd being the SRT-4)

The being able to breath better will help a bit.
Exhaust, air filter, etc. Just make the van less restrictive.

>I want more horsepower, quicker acceleration, and more torque(?) not really sure.
Sell it and get a faster car

>is fun to drive.
Anything is fun to drive after walking/riding a bicycle your whole life

>sell it
sorry man I can't sell it, I only have 1000 dollars and car insurance in Ohio for young adult drivers is insanely expensive. I'm going to have to take what I can get here.

Stay on the bus. Or post what you drive fagboi

Honestly OP I am sorry to tell you this, but these are some of the absolute shittiest, most poorly built vehicles of the last 20 years.

Get rid of this fucking thing before the rad rots out, your bushings fail, bearings turn to pudding, HVAC dies, etc.

Sell it and get something like a Civic or a Corolla, if you hold onto this thing for a few more years you will get literally NOTHING for it when you sell it - maybe scrap value.

At 8-9 years old I'd imagine that CVT is ready to give up at anytime too.

>I only have 1000 dollars
>insurance is expensive

>but tell me about mods and ways that I can WASTE MONEY on this complete TURD

Tbh, most of the stuff from the Caliber SRT4 bolts on. If you ever find a wrecked Neon SRT4/Caliber SRT4, rip everything out and jam it in that.

Otherwise; Breaks, better exhaust, intake, better tires and rims. About all you can really do without spending THOUSANDS of dollars.

>driving a Chrysler product with a 2009 CVT

OP might as well be driving a DelSol with a nigger-rigged IED in the trunk.

It makes sense. Hell, I don't even know the last time they had it checked or had any maintenance done. It probably will break soon desu. How do you feel about the Volkswagen Passat?

b5/5.5 passats are the best but maintenance heavy. others are meh. you really just need to sell and buy a civic for 2500-3k

alright. I do have a question, how would modding a Passat go? Would it be worth it?

Just be wary for oil burning issues, some of them had randomly fucked up seals and would chug oil like crazy.

I know it's a tired meme, but Civics and Corollas really are your best bet. There's a reason so many young people drive them - they're affordable and require little maintenance/money to keep them running. I know you want to have fun, but a boring car is better than a fun car that never runs. And wasting money on a 2009 Dodge Caliber is borderline retarded, just drive it as it is until it dies, or sell it now and buy something Japanese.

We've all been there user, but one day you'll get the car you really want.

>sell it now and buy something Japanese.
Or buy a 5spd Focus ZX3 and put a $300 SVT shock/spring kit on it for less money and have a much more fun car to drive.

>'05+ (and some '03+) have mazda designed engines, many with over 200k

This is a suitable option 2bh. The older Focii were moderately reliable and parts are so plentiful and cheap, OP could really do most repairs/maintenance himself.

I would say a first gen Mazda3 is a good option too, but that R U S T issue is too much. Otherwise, they basically share the same guts as the same-era Focus.

2.3 MZR engines are great, you can really beat the shit out of them and they deliver great power for an I4 like that. Need to get them with a manual, though, to really have any fun.

I miss my GT :(

What are some things I could mod on the Caliber that I could use for another car, like an air intake? I doubt it, but stuff like a nice stereo system, steering wheel etc could transfer I guess.

Focus needs more Cred. That is a great early starter car. Hell I am almost 30 and want a shit 5speed focus. Those 2.3's are hard to find though, but people sell those under 1k all the time.

The Mazda 3 was built on the 2nd gen Focus platform, so it's a bit stiffer although heavier. It uses the same control blade suspension as the 1st gen Focus.

Yeah, the only way to get the 2.3L in a Focus is the '03-'04 PZEV models or the '05-'07 ST. It is definitely the best motor to get as it responds a lot better than the 2.0L to bolt ons.

>Breaks

>rims

>modding
just kys.

2.3 was awesome, it's the same one Mazda used for the Speed3s - they just added direct injection and a turbo.

I believe the Focus, Mazda3, and some Volvo all used the same platform for quite a few years actually. Though I believe the earlier Focus models had a different platform, since they were made before Mazda3s launched.

I drive a 530i, salty because I call it how it is bitch? I could tell the kid to waste his money on stupid shit

dude this car is not worth modding, sorry I know it's not what you want to hear but remember it's your first car and you're still learning so going faster isn't a top priority right now. Just focus on maneuvering and handling the car really well and eventually you will be able to get a faster, funner car.

alright :(

>I believe the Focus, Mazda3, and some Volvo all used the same platform for quite a few years actually. Though I believe the earlier Focus models had a different platform, since they were made before Mazda3s launched.

Yeah, The original Focus was on the C170 platform, the 2nd gen Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 all shared the platform. That's part of the reason why 2nd gen Focus ST's have Volvo I5T instead of a Zetec like the first gen ST170 or RS.

all shared the updated C1 platform*

>tfw digging around in my Mazda changing fuses
>start noticing every other part is labeled with FoMoCo

At least it meant that parts were cheap and plentiful. In some ways I'm grateful it wasn't that reliable, because it forced me to learn a lot of what I know about cars today.

RIP little turd.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl9cZHoVXJI
what about this ???

>In some ways I'm grateful it wasn't that reliable,
What went wrong?

I'm at 162k in my Focus and haven't even had to change a light bulb yet.

>2.3 MZR engines are great

Hell yeah, my old 2.3 was problem free the entire time I had it

I had to change two headlight bulbs, reverse lights stopped working at 110,000km, and I had to change the same rear brake light twice.

Also

>parking brake cable rusted and seized up, causing me to drag rear wheel until car hit about 25kmh, had to be completely replaced
>AC compressor died at 98,000km - $900 repair
>rear shock mount literally exploded into fragments when I hit a pothole - $100 repair
>front brake caliper seized up, destroying pads, caliper, and warping rotor until white smoke came out of wheel well - had to replace both front brake assemblies, $980
>goddamn wire that ran from battery to starter kept wiggling loose (known issue, TSB issued for this) - left me stranded twice, but luckily I have CAA and once a guy helped me push start it
>battery died at 105,000km

Clutch may have been starting to go right before it got smashed up at 128,000km.

I bought it with 88,000km and had to do way too much shit to it during that short period of time.

pic related, dumb broad who caused the wreck

>However, are there any cool engine modifications, accessories, etc. to boost performance?
No