Why does every American sports car share an engine with a truck?

Why does every American sports car share an engine with a truck?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_SRT-10
youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because it's more efficient and cost effective.

torks yo, and easy adaptation of the existing parts and assembly line

Trucks have lenient emissions requirements, so manufacturers put their pollutin'ist engines (i.e., the most powerful ones) in them. Trucks are also not subject to the gas guzzler tax. It's actually pretty clever, manufacturers can sell the truck engine in quantity and refine it, while making the R&D cost of the sports car engine worth it.

all the better to make yuros angery

Pagani shares a motor with a 6wd jeep expy that's on a 40 year old frame architecture.

Because even American trucks are awesome.

>6wd jeep
wtf i want a jeep now

Its easier and cheaper to reuse the same engine for multiple cars, and
>yeah but what if we made it lighter

Cost savings
/thread

I WISH I could get a Ram with an 8.4L V10

I think he meant the G-wagen 6x6. 'Jeep' as a genetic term for off-roaders.

Economics.

It requires less R&D, fewer assembly lines, fewer workers, less parts storage, etc.

because why use a good engine when you can cut corners

cutting corners is the American way

Is this supposed to be an insult?

Ironically ford could've used a "good" engine *by* using a truck engine they just used an engine from the wrong truck.

Because it makes the car go fast for cheap
The fuck kinda question is that

Truck engines are stronk and you can really tune them out for a sports car where you don't have to worry about towing and hauling.

Because it works. Why is the truck engine out-performing fancy dohc engines in $200k supercars?

You can. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram_SRT-10

>an ancient modular
>good.

the GT uses its engine for racing purposes so Im fine with that as much as I wouldve preferred a Voodoo

I was referring to the Modular in general but just referencing the fact that the trend started with that one. i'm not really fine with Ford deciding against the absolute best engine possible in their arsenal myself. i think Motorsports should've been ignored entirely especially if the car would've benefited from a better engine platform had it not had strict regulations to meet much like the Hyper cars. its not like the "prestige" even matters anymore, its just GTLM and people would've bought it anyway.

>'Jeep' as a genetic term for off-roaders.
Close, Jeep as a generic term for light duty military trucks.

Le ebin LS is a vortec but with different block material, compression, and cams meme.

My question is why not? Why not use something that's tried and true?

Why does every American truck share an engine with a sports car?

The burgers are tight-fisted

They're fat & lazy.

>400lbs
>700hp
Why wouldn't you?

LS's will make 700hp NA all day. Sperg more.

They also weigh more and will never win le mans

>mfw even our school buses have V10's

You realize the 05-06 Ford GT had a 5.4L DOHC "just like" the Navigator, right?

why is every european sports car designed for rich arabs?

is that a roush?

because low end power is good for street cars and anyway high redline NA engines are quite rare nowadays.

Yeah it actually is.

Why don't European sports car companies make trucks?

bruh

>not putting a supercar engine in your truck

BRUH

This. Fuck those Muslim assholes in Europe.

>What is the Raptor

nigga it uses Fords dedicated truck engine

>put truck engine in a car
>$60k
>btfo most every supercar at $100k less
>causes rivers of eurotears
>cheap parts too

Domestic sports cars are about the only new cars I love.

>V6
>Truck engine

challenger is the only american car I would seriously consider buying. only because of the sound and looks though

lmao

2017– Ford F-150
2018– Ford Expedition.
2018– Ford Expedition Platinum Series
2017– Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
2018– Lincoln Navigator
2017– Ford GT

Speaking of trucc engines, isn't the Ford GT's ecoboost the same one featured in their Excursion and F-150, a turbo V6? By that logic, a sports car is simply a light car with a powerful engine and better suspension.

Out of the basemodel domestic sports cars I like the challenger more, but the $60k track package camaro would cool on the higher end of the price spectrum.

>put trucc engine in what's basically a Miata with a long nose and a giant wing
>snek is born
>uses archaic manual trans and RWD
>engine is actually not that powerful, it's actually slower than the JEE TEE ARU in a straight line
>completely and utterly BTFOs the JEE TEE ARU with it's slower, low tech magnificence

>tfw no more snek

ya, I get why you guys actually consider those valid cars - their price in the US is neat-o. in Europe they are overpriced af (all american muscle/pony) and don't represent quality you expect for that kind of money, so mostly showoffs buy them

?

The mustang is very low on the prove scale here in the uk.

>make decent money
>always like American muscle cars since a child
>buy my dream car

Some poor faggot calls me a show off. Kys.

not putting a supercar in your truck

>put truck engine in supercar
>probably will me decently reliable just maybe but at worst at least parts are cheap

>put super car engine in your truck
>explodes
or alternatively
>get stuck in the middle of the desert because only sand niggers buy lambo trucks (rip saddam)

Brb buying one of these that rolled 8 times for a few grand and dropping the engine into a twingo

They're not "overpriced" they're just priced out of your wallet. Take into account shipping costs, tariffs, your own gas guzzler type taxes, and all that other shit and there's a reason Mustangs are 40k Euros instead of 34k dollars like they are here.

>not overpriced

Hey, like I said, blame your own market conditions. It's not overpriced. It's rightly priced for YOUR MARKET.

Come to America if you want cheap American muscle.

>It's rightly priced for YOUR MARKET.
No, it's not. The EcoBoost 4 cylinder is at the price point of most luxury cars.
The GT is more expensive than the BMW M3, M4 and 7 series, Mercedes S-class, Audi A8, Porsche Panamera.

If the rest of the world could build good trucks, then they'd be using them in sportscars, too.

>Its priced to your market
>no one want that product
>its expensive
American think this is how the market works ?
Il take an Aventador or a S class anytime for that price

Holy shit. A Mustang GT is only 35k in Canada.

They do. OP has completely misunderstood how our engine development goes, though. We put the aluminum block in the sports car first 9 times out of 10, then we make the iron block, give it different heads and cam(s), and put it in trucks. The Viper V10 was made all new for the Viper, and it's been massaged ever since. The LS-series motors debuted in I think the Camaro. Or the Corvette. One of the two. Etc. Only thing to break this rule in recent memory is the GT but that's a racecar engine as well, if a production-ish block is strong enough to make with racekar internals then good on them I guess. Furthermore, assuming we did use literal truck engines, is is supposed to be an insult if they're as fast as they are with repurposed parts?

Like I fucking said already, blame your market. What I didn't say is, blame your heavily regulated market.

Its ford who chose that price tho, faglord.
The tax is 10k only and not even on the displayed pricetag there.

>They do.

Only Toyota does with their UZ/UR engines. Everybody else doesn't build both truck and sportscars.

I didn't call you a show off. I just said that mostly show offs buy them. I know what I said user.

Wow. The fact they cost even more money than M3 or C63 simply means they are overpriced. I don't know how to explain that better to you, but the end customer doesn't give a flying shit about what caused the surge in price (and I do agree it is caused by all the things you mentioned). Maybe your blind love for American love, whilst admirable, caused that lapse in understand simple words?

> Maybe your blind love for American love, whilst admirable, caused that lapse in understand simple words?
gee, not reading before sending... it should be
> Maybe your blind love for American muscle, whilst admirable, caused that lapse in understanding those simple words?

because non americans don't make pickup trucks

>at price tho, fagl
Jesus the Shelby GTR350 starts at the same price in Canada as the ecoboost in europe. Lmfao

Why would you even want a mustang, its a girls car.

I used to not like how the new snek looks, but it has grown on me

>be mazda
>put dorito meme magic engine in a trucc
>(((oil crisis))) hits
>mazda relegates dorito spinner to sport car use

So does that mean that rotaries were technically trucc engines?

Why did you bump a bait thread? Its been dead for 4 hours. Leave it be or use sage next time ya dingus.

this

Americans can't build exotic supercars. Fact.

I mean we did make cars that were supercars in performance terms but it seems like you need an established name and to fill it with luxuries too these days.

*wins LeMans*

A hodgepodge pile of plastic crap with ill-fitting, mismatched parts?

One that doesn't even have the record it set out to break - held by the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport?

You can't build exotic supercars, sorry. Accept it, because only by accepting it can you truly improve.

Wins some tiny lesser shitty category that nobody cares about?

Why are you incapable of building LMPs? Is it because you people are retarded? Yes, yes it is!

Like I said, it seems like people want leather and gizmos to go along with performance now, unlike the heyday of cars like the F40. Wasn't there actually a back and forth between SSC and Bugatti for the record? Still fast as fuck regardless of it being the fastest or not.

>a genetic term
you must have something genetic too

*beats Nissan and Mazda with a 1-2 finish at the Daytona 24h*

FIA allowing to DPi's to compete at LeMans when?

R and T are kinda next to each other on the keyboard dude.

>Wasn't there actually a back and forth between SSC and Bugatti for the record?
Yea, the SSC BTFO the Veyron from 2007-2010 when the Super Sport was released after.

>start with big engine
>let it rev higher with better internals
>increase specific output with better heads
>engine now makes decent power

And you do not need to build a whole new production line and can cheap out R&D

>when the Super Sport was released after.
until the super sport was released after*
typos

Actually the record the SSC aero set out to beat was set by the original Veyron, which it did. Bugatti then beat that record with the Veyron SS.

It doesn't matter where an engine is from if its very solid. And whats wrong with making great engines for all your cars instead of making shit engines for your econboxes and only putting r&d into your top end vehicles

Something eurocucks can't comprehend

Vid related
youtu.be/_jCmu6qJXX4

Meanwhile in most of Europe:
Put two inline engines together to create a V-engine and turbocharge it or rev it to 9000.

Meanwhile at VW:
Design a completely new engine with 4 cyilders in a row and 4 cylinder banks to somehow get a quad turbo 16 cylinder 8,0L engine in a car.

Meanwhile at Porsche:
Turbocharge the boxer engine even more or use a Le Mans prototype in a production car.

Meanwhile at Tesla:
Increase Amps untill driveshaft snaps.

Meanwhile at Ford:
Let the guys in Köln design the new engine and then redesign the 4cylinder turbocharged mustang engine to put out more power, the put it in your 2nd smallest hatch.

>mazda
Make something most people think is crazy work and reduce weight.
>rotary
>insane compression
>HCCI
>rotary again(?)

What about them apex seals and heavy oil and gas drinking?

It worked in the FD, the RX-8 only had issues due to oil starvation since it got cucked by emissions,

>100 mph
>you won get that in real life
My DD econobox sees more speed on my commute,,,

>mazda
>Make something most people think is crazy work and reduce weight.

So they can achieve what a fucking Neon could 15 years ago? That's called pointless over engineering.

Y'all have it wrong.
Chevy downgrades their Vette engines and uses them in other applications.
Means even trucks get a sweet engine.
It's the reason LS swaps are so popular.
The lQ9 I got for $700 has the same Heads, pistons, and rods that a Corvette engine has.

Euro Fags or Japs would love to be able to buy a $700 engine that shares 80% of it's parts from an AMG or Nismo engine.

Explain the "mustang is a girls car" meme to me.

I don't understand it. It sounds like BS. It's featured in action movies, is usually a 2 seater, has a good engine to weight ratio, room for shit to modify and carry shit.
It was invented to compete with euro imports in terms of speed, size, cheapness, and then they accidentally a muscle car.

Why.

The Mustang isn't a girls car, it's everyones car. It's a muscle/sports car anyone from any walk of life can afford if they try. There is no one type of Mustang owner, there are many.

It was originally marketed towards young secretaries.