Why aren't gated shifters more common in new manual cars?

I feel as though people would be more willing to try manual if they can see what gear they are in

if you don't know what gear you're in in a manual you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

>if they can see what gear they are in
literally just look at the stick

More expensive, keeps shit from falling in there if it's covered.

>Having to look to see what gear you're in.
Wat.

>More expensive, keeps shit from falling in there if it's covered.
This.

Seems like a PITA.
>move up
>move over
>move up again
NOW I AM IN MY FINAL FORM

For what purpose? Just snick it around wherever you want to be.

they're aesthetic as fuck and have great shift feel but basically this the one good thing about the Audi TT is (was?) the gated shifter

>implying manual cars can be bought new

Welcome to Burgerland

what the fuck is this gibberish
its literally exactly the same as a conventional shifter

Except you have gates halfway up through the lever instead of just pushing on the selector forks directly.

Ever drove one?
These have the "gates" shaped in a way you just slide into gears like with a regular H-shifter.
Only pain is downshifting 2 gears- from 4th to 2nd for example.

No I've not driven one, and I don't have to because as you say the pain is when you make an unusual shift. It's unnecessary. Nobody fucking makes a series of right angle turns to shift around gates.

You just pull the teeth out of one gear, swish over to a different shaft if you need to, engage a different gear, and you're on your way. All one fluid motion, especially if you're not being mean to the synchros.

I've never used one of these. Is the throw longer on gated shifters? Because it seems like it would be.

They're just more complicated. On my shitbox all the "gates" are in the gearbox, if the linkage is disconnected it just flops around. By having gates on the stick too, stuff needs to really be moving together accuately

Switching gears by one (like you actually should) is as smooth as a regular shifter.
I've probably smashed into a gate between 1stand 3rd in miata i had when shifting 2nd to 3rd then I've hit the ones in a gated shifter I drove

I've also managed to potato the sentence.

I've probably smashed into a gate between 1st and 3rd in miata I had when shifting 2nd to 3rd more then I've hit the 4th to 2nd in a gated shifter I drove

>(like you actually should)
You can't tell me what to do. Even on my 4spd shitbox I would find the need to skip gears.

Go back to your gated slappy paddles and learn to rev match.

>Nobody fucking makes a series of right angle turns to shift around gates
however, when shifting letting the stick sit in the neutral position for a split second drastically improves shift smoothness as opposed to just banging it into gear, so shifting a normal gearbox like you would a gated shifter has benefits

Left up down
Up down
Right up down
It's not complicated

I don't bang it in to gear. I slip it in and out like I do with your mom's pussy. Your mom doesn't have a gated pussy (you might not know this.)

Have you ever driven by the linkage alone? Have you ever fished around to find where the fuck the gears are in some grandpa tractor? Do you understand that you're not on the level of a manual driver with your crutch of a solution to the fact that the only thing more shit than your gearbox is the people whom you expect to be able to use it?

Americans are so weird about manuals. It's something trivial af but conversation about it on the internet always bring up weird shit like
>seeing the gear you're in
>but how do you move in a parking lot
>but how do you move in slow traffic
>but how do you go through a speedbump
>if the engine slows down, how do I know what gear to use then?
etc.

>go through a speedbump
niiga do u drive a bulldozer

This is how I thought all manual cars were when I was younger

Nigga maybe I should, fuck those things, my fucking third world country has some that are wall high and square af.

Useful or not I think they look cool.

Can you even powershift with a shifter like this?

Depends . Both manual cars I've owned have pretty short throws and yeah, there would be no room for gates- they would overlap.

That's not to say some shifters don't have more space between the positions but I've never seen one that could fit a gate so that's probably part of the reason they aren't that common.

>literally just look at the stick

Ok.

>Eating shit in your car.

What?

Once you have been driving one for a while you can tell which angle is which gear.

There’s rubber underneath to keep stuff from falling in there

Because tradition and familiarity

Same reason we don't have god tier sequentials but they're totally okay when they're DCTs

>Just let me look down at my shifter at 80km

My manual ND displays the gear by the tach so eat shit gatefags

Lots of misconceptions in this thread. Functionally they are really no different than a normal shifter, because as you know all shifters are gated. You don't have to make a "series of right angle turns" to shift on these style gates any more than you do on a normal trans. If you aren't looking down you wouldn't know which one you are driving.

The gate is part of the shifting mechanism. They are very sensitive compared to a normal setup (unless it's cable shifted). You can easily lose access to gears if they aren't precisely adjusted or if a bushing goes bad.

We don't need manual transmission anymore

You don't need to breathe anymore

Manuals are lighter and confer lesser drivetrain losses, in addition to shifting seamlessly on the high end of dedicated racing gearboxes so yes we actually do

We don't necessarily need a mechanical linkage to do the shifting though, or manual clutch operation. Just ask an F1 driver.

They're really distracting because I feel the need to jerk off whenever I see a gated shifter.

fukkin' finally

I think they aren't a good idea because as the car ages the shifter could be all over the place. Say your motor mounts are bad or something, the shifter would no longer be aligned with the "gate"

Keep in mind you need a doctor's evaluation to legally drive a manual in many US states. They don't want unqualified people handling something this complex when they're on the road with other drivers. It's just common sense.

That looks like a bitch to clean, I'll stick to my leather boot.

Bullshit. I don't believe you. t. bong, where we have a separate "automatic" driving license to keep the mouthbreathers away from proper cars.

>Nobody fucking makes a series of right angle turns to shift around gates
wut

> if they can see what gear they are in
you're supposed to be looking at the road when driving, not down at the gearstick

>I don't bang it in to gear. I slip it in and out like I do with your mom's pussy.
congratulations, you shift exactly the same way you would in a gated setup

BTFOED

Ackshullay not ALL shifters are gated
Neon t-350s aren't and fork damage can happen easily

Fabricating a gate is the fix for the lack of internal gates

It's in neutral.

Gated shifters suck. Clearly you've never driven a manual.

too expensive for anything other than supercar

I agree with you that more people would be willing to try it but really it would be the kind of people who can't remember something for more then a few seconds or do two things at once so do you really want those kind of people driving at all?

It's not inherently expensive

Manufacturers just call it a luxury feature and put it on the appropriate cars. It's all about building image, which is part of what they sell you when you buy a car.

>yeah it has a gated shifter, it's PREMIUM. plebs don't get this.
>why?
>because the car company won't sell it to plebs.

>Your mom doesn't have a gated pussy (you might not know this.)

If this was a YLYL thread I would have lost hard

most modern cars show what gear you're in, in the gauge cluster

but seriously, any experienced driver would know what gear they are in simply based on speed and engine rpm

Or because they put it into a particular gear and the alzhiemers isn't hitting hard enough yet that don't remember

Go to the DMV and request your driver's license to be revoked, because you are blind

normal people do, autistic faggot

Because they aren't needed. Gated shifters were invented because of sloppy transmission linkages. In the old days, it was actually possible to screw up a shift and pot a transmission into two gears at once. Resulting in the tranny locking up.Better linkage design eliminated this and the need for a gate.

Now the problem with a gate is that it has to be kept in alignment with the transmission's gear positions. Or it will screw up shifting. This alignment increases manufacturing costs.

how do you even slide it in gear sideways?

All the cars I've ever driven, you can't. I haven't driven anything made before 2001 though, so it might be an older car thing. T. bong.