How many times do you roll back on a car behind you when you started driving manual? be honest

how many times do you roll back on a car behind you when you started driving manual? be honest

Not a single damn time.
I didn't even use heel-toe or hand-break, either.
I just used my superior timing and reaction abilities.

None.

Although I was dazed and almost nodding off trying to get through the toll booths heading E on to the GWB late at night recently and didn't realize I was rolling back until the car behind starting honking frantically. I thought the other traffic was still rolling forward. Good wake-up call.

I rolled back like 2cm but that's normal

None because it wasn't too proud to use the handbrake. Still do on very steep hills.

none, because the ancient lincoln navigator that daddy's money got me is autotragic

H A N D B R A K E
If you don't use it then you should know how to drive without rolling back

Property about 3 times because I was teaching my self how to drive and live in an area with a lot of hills, never was a big deal though because you just pull the handbrake or take off.

none, just keep your foot on the bloody break pedal

is this what heel-toe is?

Never. BMW holds the brake for 3 seconds before you start. Stay poor...

if you're rolling back on somewhat flat road, just keep the foot on the break pedal

if it's uphill and you don't know if you'll manage, use a handbrake. there's no shame in using the handbrake if it will prevent you from fucking up your and someone else's car

Gentle rearward love-tap is the universal signal you could use a push start, m8

tfw never used the handbrake and too scared I'll accidentally gun it with the brake down

I put it in 1st and hold the clutch.

Not much happens. It just goes slower.

And if it's RWD you barely notice except you wonder why it doesn't feel the same today until you realize you forgot to take the hand brake off.

I do it very often, but it's really bad for clutch. Dunno why I keep forgetting. Otoh, the US (at least states I've visited) doesn't give a shit about yellow (amber?) light when turning from red to green. In normal countries this is the sweet soft spot when you put it on 1st.

I sometimes purposely roll back at lights on those who tailgatr just to give them a little fright and remind them that sitting 3 inches from my rear bar is a shit move

(being in a v8 its very easy to not roll back though as my foot can stay on the brake much longer)

>he needs assists

whenever people do it I wish I had that murrican running coal to fuck up their audis paint with some hot diesel. yummy

Yeah I don't really need to do it but I should learn it sometime.

Lights don't turn from yellow to green here mate. Only yellow to red.

There's a waiting time when it's red in all directions before it turns green and there are often shades on the lights only people from the right direction can see when they turn. Why would you give the red light people a yellow light on the way to green. This isn't a drag strip.

my gosh, I got a slight boner just thinking about it.

Have fun wearing out your throwout bearing

Nah, no need to learn to use the hand brake. Not in the modern world where cars aren't run by hamster wheels.

You can either heel toe: applying throttle while keeping on the brakes (with the same foot) and clutching normally for a smooth launch
Or just fuck it: releasing the brakes and quickly driving off with extra throttle because you can't heel toe for shit
Both involve keeping the foot on the brake pedal before taking off. You're not supposed to keep your foot on the brake while actually driving off, that'd be retarded.

I do the latter, by the way. Works just fine.

it's less than a second usually, but it's enough to put it in gear. I completely understand what you're saying, but if you don't know the traffic lights configuration you're not going to predict when it is going to switch to green.

Half the time the girls in the SUVs are too busy texting jewbook updates to notice when it turns green anyway.

It's the mark of a man to get the dig as soon as it flips green. That's how you know who's the boss, and if he's going to retain his pole position status or be out-cucked and and psychologically demolished by being passed on the right.

Also why didn't you put it first with the clutch in as you were just coming to a stop at the red? Don't you know how to drive?

The only time you sit there out of gear is if you have to go fetch a CD out of the center console or something while you're waiting for a line of niggers to start moving again.

I don't do that shit. Most of the time I don't even exceed speed limit and drive safely. I just honestly believe roads are not 5 o'clock meetings at the grandma's place and you should move around smoothly without blocking people behind you.

>CD
a what?

why should I put unnecessary wear on my clutch?

A compact disc. You know, redbook audio. 16 bits at 44.1kHz nyquist frequency.

You're only wearing your throwout bearing in that case, not the clutch at all. Please learn how your car works. It's designed to do that, hello. You just replace the throwout bearing, pressure plate, and clutch all at once because they're all wear items.

The entire concept is retarded though. People are just gonna go on amber because they obviously know green is coming. Also it's amber for like half a second so it might as well be green in the first place.

> you don't wear the clutch
> you just wear throwout bearing that forces you to replace the whole kit

Yeah, that's what I said. Are you trying to suggest otherwise or is your mechanic a Jew?

>If you don't use it then you should know how to drive without rolling back
I use it for sick skids.

if you rely on the handbrake and then it all of a sudden snaps on you, you're fucked

Not to mention if it went through yellow in both directions, you'd never know what to think if you saw yellow. Time to speed up? Time to slow down?

If it's only yellow as a warning that it's going to turn red, then you know right away fair warning it's going to come to a halt.

Not him but the point he's trying to make is that holding the clutch in puts premature wear/tear on the throw out bearing possibly forcing a replacement even if the rest of the clutch parts aren't anywhere near replacement. I just went through this on my Subaru (not the original owner). Throw-bearing was screaming for mercy in cold weather, sure enough it was near complete failure once I got in there, but everything else could have easily gone another 100k except for the pressure plate spring "fingers" that had a nice deep groove worn into them from the failing throw-out bearing.

It's actually both red and yellow when it's going to turn green next. Seriously guys, go to any country with that system and compare the average reaction times.

Yeah, and the throwout bearing on my subaru wore the tranny snout down to the size of a pencil dick. How about you replace that shit on time and lube it back up properly? Ever think about that? Why do you think you're supposed to replace the pressure plate so it doesn't get groves while you're taking it apart anyway?

How stupid are some people, I just don't get it.

Go to any third would country and marvel at how you made it out alive at every intersection while nobody had any time to pay attention to colored lights, if there even are any.

not necessarily a third world country, but I had a 'pleasure' of driving in India. it was my first time with RHD too.

India is a 3rd world country. Did you get to ride in a tuk-tuk?

Wh-what?

yes and I love indian start-stop systems. some of them just turn the engine off on every single stop xD

My car (first) has a hill holder so never.
Even if I didn't have it my instructor taught me how to start uphill with handbreak on, so I guess my answer is never.
>started driving manual
what does it even mean? everyone starts with manual

You must not be from the US

I'm not
excuse me trip, was not meant to use it

I use my brakes so never, also I have a car with a torquey engine so no need for handbrake at hills and stuff.

Literally none.

Use the handbrake, that's what is for.

never but I have a bike so even when I stalled on hillstarts I was always able to catch it with the front and/or back brakes before I rolled

You should've been holding the bike on the hill with the rear brake before releasing the clutch in the first place desu.

UH OH I CAN'T DRIVE
TIME TO YANK THE HAND BRAKE
THERE THERE THAT'S BETTER

PHEW
>fuggin hills and stuff

none, but I spun the wheels a few times trying not to.

>I CAN'T USE THE HANDBRAKE BECAUSE IT'S A SIGN OF WEAKNESS
>proceeds to roll back into the car behind
>gets even madder

The handbrake is a tool, use it.

I use it every time I park.

The handbrake is used for parking you Britcuck, not starting on hills. I know you're a Britcuck because only Britcucks ever seem to recommend using the handbrake for its unintended purpose, hillstarting. Just clutch and gas and go, Britcuck.

None, i'm not retarded or American.

That shit pissed me off when I was learning to drive on a brand new™ car™

But that requires an extra license and tax.

Evri tiem because e brake start is for pussi and 5 inches is literally a none issue even if someone is up ur arse

The handbrake is a brake for your hand, you can use it any way you like.

Holding the car on a hill is just one use.

>tfw my handbrake is a pedal

Shit fucking sucks when you're on a 20 degree uphill angle, in the rain, on balding tires, in a 85 hp pickup.

I think it took me 20 seconds, of constant acceleration (any less and I would've rolled back, anymore and I would've lost traction) to move forward and get enough speed to move more then 6 inches.

I bet that's not all you use with your hand "any way you like."

>ultimate cuck machine

Ur mum likes it when I 'hold her on hills' faget

>he can't drive
>and he's into grandma sex
lad

Oh shit, makes sense now.

>but it's really bad for clutch

Shit clutch DESU senpai.

Never unless I feel like it. Feels like your mom's ass on my duck. Quack quack motherfucker

Not even once, I've driven diesels all my life

Never. Grew up driving old tractors (Oliver, Allis Chalmers, etc) so I was used to a clutch.

Everyone should learn young on a tractor. Makes life easymode.

when i started driving. i never rolled back, just stalled

I use the handbreak if I'm a steep hill never rolled back on someome... did stall it on a hill once tho... brz got no torque lmao

Knowing what I know about Subaru TOB failure, lubing the snout won't stop a partially or fully seized TOB from wrecking the snout, because if you do have that much lube caked on there's too much risk of it getting onto the friction material. Mine hadn't done any noticeable damage to the snout but I put in a TSK snout repair kit anyway, the Toyota bearing they put in the kit is much beefier than the Subaru one is and the stainless steel sleeve is nice protection for the snout. That aside, the TOB shouldn't fail before the clutch is worn enough for replacement anyway. I've owned many manuals over that years and Subaru is the only one I've owned that has premature TOB failures, my other vehicles have gone 150k - 200k before clutch replacement and the TOBs spun just about as easily as new ones do, certainly they weren't partially seized and wearing grooves into the PP like on my Subaru. There is no fucking reason for a TOB to fail at 100k (aside from driver error) other than shit design/shit parts.

Heel toe is usually used right before turn entry while youxre breaking before the turn, while you're on the break clutch in and hit the gas to rev match with your heel and down shift while the rest of your foot is still applying break. This should all be smooth and not upset chassis/balance for turn. Lets you be in a lower gear so you can pull yourself out of the turn.

never. I rolled back a few times when I was learning to drive but never actually hit another car

no

I rolled back a ton, but I never hit anyone.

never
my dad made me practice the basics like that nonstop until it was perfect before i could drive on the road. it's not hard really, just use the handbrake or slip the clutch a lot if you absolutely cannot roll back literally one inch and don't trust your skills yet

I roll back just a tad bit on purpose while I'm stopped on a hill either to see exactly how steep this hill is so I can figure out how much gas I need to use when the light is green, or to (hopefully) let others know behind me not to get too close while on the hill in case I fuck up. I leave the car in neutral and hold down the normal brake, and when I see the other light turn red that's when I put it in first and once the light turns green I just accelerate. Never rolled back too far even when first starting to drive manual, I just do what I always do except faster. Not as hard as I thought itd be

That's not how it is in the US. People usually go when the light turns green, I have never seen somebody just start going once the other light is yellow.
There's a reason we have the yellow light, switching from Green to immediately red is very dangerous. yellow is for the people that are too close to stop safely

Never; hill starts were piss easy. Just like a regular start, just with more gas.

It's amazing what a professional instructor can teach you.

scary

I purposely roll back a little when someone approaches me from behind (on a hill) warning them to stay back. But I'm not a moron and only roll a couple of inches, if any, when it's time to go.

Ever watch one of those robot claw machines wreck a building? They did one right outside my office window and it made me come to work early so I could be ready before the crew got going, but I swear I was at 50% productivity tops. Transfixing.

The guys who do that for a living are mad talented at it. Although they did accidentally have the final wall come down in the wrong direction early. and get a little too close to damaging something important.