Hello, I have a 2000 Toyota Camry v6 that will not start because of a run in with a flooded street...

Hello, I have a 2000 Toyota Camry v6 that will not start because of a run in with a flooded street. I had tried to get it onto the curb before the engine died but only one wheel ended up on the curb. The water was about an inch above the exhaust pipe. The water receded after 15 minutes. I have replaced the starter and dried out the air intake and MAF sensor. Pic 2 years old, when i got it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=47B1oo6nDZw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're not mentioning if the engine is turning at all, or if nothing happens when you turn the key

Another quick note, the headlights turn almost completely off when i try to start it and ty he new starter is definitely trying to start

The engine is not making a single noise and the starter is clicking for as long as I try to start it.

At a normal rate? As in the engine is turning at a normal speed when you turn the key?

The engine is not turning at all. An outside observer sees no movement.

Does your starter have the starter relay built into it?

Checking the Haynes manual, we found the fuse for it through visual inspection but not a relay

Then its probably all in the starter.

The clicking you hear is the solenoid not kicking in properly. This is usually either because the solenoid is worn out/broken, or you don't have enough power. Since you've already replaced the starter I would try a fresh battery, as chances are you might have short circuited it

Then its probably all in the starter or the battery*

The starter is a rebuilt one from oreillys

Blue one is the starter relay
Also the air filter was damp last time i tried to start her

Get the engine turning properly first before trying to figure out other shit

Do you have a multimeter? If so, see what the battery voltage is. I'd get a new one anyways - you don't want to keep a battery that may have been under water and short circuited

I can check the voltage tomorrow, I have a voltmeter but no cables. How would I go about getting the engine to turn?

Read

And the solenoid is essentially what activates your starter and makes the starters gear start turning the engine

So new battery pretty much?

Pretty easy to replace and see if it works

Aight hopefully it works will update tomorrow
Thanks senpaitachi i hope she makes it

Aye, that would be my next step, even if it the voltage was ok if tested

Good luck, keep us posted

How in the world has nobody mentioned hydrolock yet? The car was driven through water when the engine suddenly died (couldn't even make it to the curb), and now it won't even turn over despite the starter solenoid clicking on and the starter trying to turn it over. The headlights go dim when he applies the starter, so clearly the starter is getting power, and LOTS of it. You are retarded for thinking it's the starter. Its either bad battery or hydrolock.

youtube.com/watch?v=47B1oo6nDZw

Don't get a new battery before you see if you can jump it off.

Its a possibility, but if the engine was actually hydrolocked with the piston(s) not being able to move wouldn't you just have the starter do a single click, then catching on and start buzzing as it tried to make the engine turn?

If its hydrolock then the starter should still be able to "engage", even if won't be able to start moving the pistons and crankshaft, no?

look at: Stalled electric motors draw large currents.
The starter is clearly stalled and the large current draw from the battery causes the voltage drop that makes the headlights dim. The teeth would need to engaged for that to happen.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "catching on and start buzzing". If the teeth engage and the motor is locked up then you wouldn't hear much noise. It's not an AC motor... You would likely just hear a single click and the solenoid closed and the teeth engaged, then nothing.

Exactly - but would the clicking from the solenoid continue once the teeth had caught?

You'd need to drive your car into a bigger puddle to hydrolock it

Yeah i hear a series of clicks

Electric motors have a tendency to buzz when overencumbered - not the case if it has an emergency cut-off to prevent it burning out tho

yeah but it's a honda so he prolly fucked it with aftermarket "performance parts"... including a cold air intake 2 inches off the ground

Yeah the solenoid is still closed as long as you are trying to start it. So it stays "ON" until you release the key. When you have a dead battery and hear repeated clicking, it's due to the battery voltage dropping from the large load, causing the solenoid to switch "OFF" (because it requires ~12v), then since there's no more load, the battery voltage climbs again and the cycle continues.

Buzzing is obviously due to parts vibrating, which occurs when you have alternating current flowing through windings. Typically, DC motors don't buzz when stalled. Their power supply can buzz, and they can hiss as wires burn or arcing occurs, but not usually buzzing. There is one caveat: some DC motors operate using basically a clipped AC supply so even though the current flows all in one direction, it varies significantly enough to cause noises like buzzing. BUT a starter is using a constant (mostly) DC source so I disagree that you would hear buzzing unless metal parts were clanging around from some broken shit.

Try jumping it or a new battery first.

I mean it came with a cold air intake from the factory and it's only like 40 something inches high

Seems to be the main consensus. I tried a jump earlier today but she may not have been dry enough or charged enough.
Also lol at that guy who said its a honda, she has 169000 miles and I'm keeping her stock