Dune buggy 2.0

last thread hit the image limit. continuing with the frame fabrication now that I have 4 lbs more wire to burn

Also I need to stop lighting myself on fire.

Bad ass man. I love seeing this stuff, keep it coming.

How long till it's up and running?

Previous thread.

keep up the great work OP!

Bump.

I'm watching you user.

Probably not for a bit the motor still needs to be built and my leave ends on Wednesday so I will probably only get the majority of the framing done

Here is about what the bottom of the windshield will look like only about 4 inches shorter. And also canted in some

Left side is tacked mocking up the right

Rip op

Well that sucked but they are in have to finish welding the left one but then that's done with and moving onto the windshield lower cross bar

There are three things that will help you when building a pipe frame:
>Triangulation
>Triangulation
>Triangulation

Tube frame, fuck my engrish...

Sorry for the delay I had to go help my dad cut down a tree. Finally welded in and level probably going to go a little lower on the pipes. They are 22 inches now and I am thinking on ending up somewhere like 19 or so

i love the comfyness of your thread user. Keep it up bro!

Some welding action shots.

Thanks dude it has been fun so far

He she is

Now that we got the general layout down going to cut out the cross beam and weld it in

Just got done buffing my finger nails.

Keep it coming OP.

Nice!

Cross bar is coped, tacked in, and level. Welding it in now

Can we get some close up on the welds?

Any plans on converting the drums to disk?

Saved.

Are you Ding Dong?

>Can we get some close up on the welds?
No, because everyone is a professional welder online

Cross bar is welded in went in pretty smooth, on to the rest of the front clip.

wear no shirt at all. it helps with controlling splatter

Also I haven't taken the drums apart yet, if they are bad enough when I do I am going to.

Here is what the front end is going to look like

I didn't think of that thanks for the tip.

Pipes are are all cut and prepped, only thing left is to cope and tac them in. I'm going to eat then ill do it after

Front end mostly fitted and coped. I'm going to bed going to finish in the morning I'm too tired to weld good.

Another angle

Last one ill finish coping the last end and tack them all in the morning

Shit's looking great, man.

i love this thread and the last one so much, Veeky Forums need more of these.

I want to ask though, now that its so far from what it originally was, what are your thoughts on the fact that you could of started from the ground up?

It was kind of a waste of time but the old frame didn't look bad on the surface it wasn't until we started digging into it that we found out it was a death trap.

Alright going to finish the last little bit of coping then we are going to get ready to mate the front with the back again.

Most time consuming part. Each joint has to be hand fit with a grinder

Finished product

drums are better for a buggy because they are closed
dirt and water would cover the discs and fuck them up real quick

I got 20 days of leave starting in a couple weeks, and I can't wait. Sitting on 58 days so I need to burn it down. I'll be taking my rail out to glamis for about ten days of it. I should be able to pic dump in /org/ during, since everybody is sick of just looking at trucks.

You a left coast sailor? I'll buy you a no homo beer if you are.

Don't mind my storage wheels. I like disk

OP said that he is using SCH 80 pipe.

I'm west coast yeah
1 5/8 SCH 80

Getting ready to mate the body to the rear end

>1 5/8 SCH 80
do you mean 1-1/4" nominal?

I was implying OD but it's the same thing

Never give up. Never never never give up. The only time you'll be a failure is when you quit trying.

lol all your welds are gonna crack on you.

t. welder

This, I hope OP plans on putting some flat metal triangles in every corner there.
That's kinda sketch not having one continuous tube front to back.

Holy shit you are flux core welding schedule 80 pipe with a mig. You are going to die. So zooming in on pics that's a 135amp welder. You are probably going to get maimed or die. Can't get even get thick enough wire that thing for proper penetration. Go rent a fucking stick welder for the weekend.

That thing is going to be so heavy with schedule 80 pipe. 115 volt welder. Those are for welding exhaust pipe. Harbor freight has a 220v ac/DC stick welder on sale for 400$. Should of spent a little more and got some DOM tubing. I don't even like running flux core in my 190amp Hobart.

bumparooni

This. His welds aren't any better than what was there before.

OP, don't give up because your welds are shit and going to kill you. You can always take it easy and feel it out before going back and grinding the welds out to put in better ones.

Is this project dead?

If you look through the previous threads you'll see his welds are a substantial improvement.

Previous owner only welded what he could see, therefore over half of the members were left untouched.

However I do believe the previous owner used a tig welder. Unfortunately, it didn't look like he turned his welder up enough for even decent penetration.

Op probably got scared off by all the hate shame it was one of the better threads on here

>hate shame
Isn't it terrible how valuable criticism is seen as hate by so many retards?

Well he is best coast, so he's probably at work for at least 4 more hours

IIRC in the previous thread he said he had till Tuesday for some reason. May have been work related, don't know.

Didn't feel like digging, but

>Lives in Wisconsin
>Best coast
What. There's really nothing great about the great lakes, user. The water really fucks with weather predictions, resulting in eccentric winter's.

See

do you think you'll get the frame done before going back ?

he'll be back eventually

He's given up and kissed about $1,200- goodbye. The boomer who sold him the shit pile won this round.

didnt he only pay like 400 for it? the VW parts alone are worth twice that.

He paid $800 and both engines are blown. He also spent $500 in supplies.

eh thats still not too bad. looks like a fun project/learning experience

boop

damn dude last i checked you were fixing up a few small things, a this point it seems like it would have been a smaller job to start from scratch lol