What's the best balance of "fuck yeah 80s sports car" and gas mileage at a not-horrible price? Is it even possible?

What's the best balance of "fuck yeah 80s sports car" and gas mileage at a not-horrible price? Is it even possible?

I was thinking of a Toyota Supra before I came to Veeky Forums but then I saw in the sticky that it can be hard to find for under $5k and I have about 3 right now, and that it isn't really recommended for beginners.

I don't even care (much) about going fast. I just want a pretty-ass car to fit my 80s-inspired Veeky Forumsshion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K6bjUI-KQbg
philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-ford-mustang-svo/6301726573.html
denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-ford-mustang-svo-must-go/6310807949.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

N/A RX-7
Celica
80's and 90's cars are crumbling into dust thanks to shit plastics though, so good luck

SVO Mustang.

Turbo 4 cylinder Mustang. Fox Body hatchback with bi-plane inspired window spoiler, and "Turbo" hood scoop.

It will handle better, go faster, and is much more 80's than that crappy 7MGTE powered Celica.

>SVO Mustang
for 3k lmao

find a first gen ford probe.
or a first gen saturn SC1
or a geo storm
those are pretty cool looking and cheap.

Thank you for the info.
I'll look into it. Thanks.
Sweet. Thank you.

>It will handle better, go faster, and is much more 80's than that crappy 7MGTE powered Celica.
yeah, no.
Only new pony cars can handle and even they are pigfat at it.

Saab. The entire hood opens for easy workspace. The interior is complete 80's and it is pretty sexy.

300zx
Supra
Rx7
Celica (with the 22re rwd)
Mitubishi Starion (if you can find one)

but op has 3k only those would cost more wouldnt they?

Foxbodies are fine in the handling aspect. Sn95 and after till most recently don't handle worth shit

325es

Fb or fc rx7's are mostly reliable but I wouldn't daily one. I've got a gslse and it's been solid so far but it needed a new radiator, brake line had a massive leak in it, paint is completely ruined, need redone.
N/A rotary motors are actually quite reliable provided you warm them up and take good care of them. Seen guys with 200,000+ miles on their stock 12a's and 13b's.

No booley but if you're in the US you can usually find Deloreans pretty cheap, or you could five years ago.

>I don't even care (much) about going fast. I just want a pretty-ass car to fit my 80s-inspired Veeky Forumsshion.
get a celica like says. they're extremely reliable and easy to work on and extremely slow.

I daily the hell outta my '83 944 and I think it fits your interests pretty well. I've put over 150k on it in the last few years and it's never left me on the side of the road. Also gets about 24-26 mpg, which isn't bad.

I bought as my first car for 2.5k. Did a shit ton of work to it it, as you do. I probably have about a total of 5k in it now and she runs great.

It's also 80's as fuck.

Buy a fiero bro, gets great mileage, looks good sounds good, fun to drive

read that as
>put 150k into it

As someone who owns a fox, lol no they don't handle, especially now with 30 years of age to decompose the bushings and soften the body.
M8 you are beyond retarded. The SN95 platform is a slightly changed fox. They improved it with the SN95. S197 and up handle, as their front and rear geometries aren't fucked 5 ways to sunday. Fox/sn95 don't even have a factory panhard.

Better hurry though, these are skyrocketing in value.

IMO, best options are either a 944 or a starquest.

Mine's pic related, had to clean out the fuel tank because the previous owner had it sitting, but I've had no problems driving it daily since.

z31 300zx
86 na gets 22 mpg
good ones are around 3k, mint around 5k

I've never even seen one of these for sale

my aw11 mr2 gets 30mpg

Z31 turbo

Haven't done anything major since I had it got it to daily it. In fairness I copped a real clean example.

Mr2

1987 to 1990 production Toyota Tercel

Also known as the Corolla II or tge Corsa outside the us this chassis code El31 came in carberated sohc, fuel injeted sohc, and turbo charged sohc with pop up headlights and a sunroof option (only 6k made). These puppies have a 12valve economy house/powerplant that can get between 80hp and 115hp stock. This paired with lightweight 1900lb outa the factory makes these cars a beast. Manual windows, manual steering, manual transmission and you got yourself a recipe for success.

turbo daytona

its not the 80s, but honorable mention
youtube.com/watch?v=K6bjUI-KQbg

I've got almost 200k on my s12, and it doesn't even burn oil. its slow af, but its super 80's. Especially with the digital dash and voice warning system.

>tfw will never get to own one because I live in this fucking balkan shithole

MKII Supra have a horribly overflated price, just get a MKI. i paid $2600 for my 79 and it appraises for 15k now but you can easily find a 80 or 81 for under $4000

solid rear axle with a big open engine bay, theyre easy to take the 4M or 5M engine out and swap in a 7M or JZ

otherwise look at 3rd gen Celica, still RWD with 22R and 22RE engine and the coupe especially is rare now and theyre cheap

all of those except maybe the Starion are easily at the $3k mark. you can find MKI and MKII Supra for $2500ish, Z31 for that price especially non turbo, FC and FB RX7, and 1st-3rd gen Celica

NA 944 if you love and take care of it.

Accord lxi hatchback.

>tfw live in NH and can't even find a clean 5th gen civic hatch, never mind japanese classics

I was going to complain about you not parking dead center but then my dumbass brain realized you parked right on the edge of that walkway. A good clean job user.

shut up kaizer

>MKI supra
>7M or JZ
the chassis can't handle it.
too many modifications needed to make it work + chassis braces
There's a reason why you don't see these cars swapped.

I have a fuck yeah 80s sports car. More 80s than sports.

jesus dude that wheel fitment is fucking heinous, you have no taste at all

>muh angery headlights!!!XD

>N/A RX-7

definitely not this if you want good gas mileage
my s4 fc used to get like 10 mpg

Thought you would never ask op

Toyota MR2s are great. I drive my 203xxx mile AW11 hard as fuck and it still hits the factory top speed. I really wish I hadn't hit that rock and spun out though because all the bolts are rusted to shit and need to be replaced on anything you switch out. I snapped like 4 just taking my front diffuser off.

philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-ford-mustang-svo/6301726573.html

Reading through this thread I'm more focused on the DD aspect. Accord lxi seems decent and a Supra or an rx-7 seem attainable. But how about repairs and mileage? Expensive parts? I know nothing about rotary engines.

Kaizer it's just another turd chill

Saab 9000 Turbo can be made hilariously fast for not much money. Hope you can do your own wrenching, though.

>"YA BRO! GET THIS ULTRA FUCKIN RARE CAR!"
This is you..

OP get an old EF civic hatchback or sedan, or a 3rd gen prelude, a celica supra, 3rd gen accord, if you can an AW11 mr2, 4th & 5th gen celicas, etc.

No mention of 1g dsm? Wtf guise.

That fuckers got better ground clearance than anything Range Rover have made in the past 40 years.

OP just get a celica and stop stressing about it

This
Replace all the suspension bushings with poly and you're good to go

If French car, the best thing for that would probably be one of these.

Rampage is better for being the 80's embodied.

>not alpine

I want to throw a alpine cassette deck and equalizer in my 80's shitbox
Will it give it serious power drain with that and some new speakers?

>recommends even rarer car models

It's physically impossible to get more 80's than with these

get a tpi for sensible mileage and for at least SOMETHING to happen when you go wot

>Update

Fuck I can't decide between an MR2, a MkII Supra, and a Starion. Which will be the least money sink?

you might have to drive half way across the country to find something like this

just buy an E30, convert to H&R springs and bilstein shocks, be happy.

IMO the only car that should even be described as fuck yeah 80s is a 3rd gen Camaro unless your name is Magnum and you're a private investigator.

All 3 are available around here pretty consistently

depends on what trim you get. I say MR2. AW11 has a 4A-GE motor in it, SW20 has either a turbo 3S-GTE or the economical 5S-FE which comes in the Toyota Camrys or whatever and is well known to be reliable, and the ZZW30 has a 1ZZ in it. in general, the parts will be pretty similar to a camry.

>find vintage 80s shitbox
> $3500
>is more rust than metal at this point
>"needs a little work and it'll be great!"

man i love those old saabs

you lucky bastard

mr2 is going to be the easier one to build

This, OP

This

Stay BTFO

denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1984-ford-mustang-svo-must-go/6310807949.html