/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Civilizations edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

crunchyroll.com/my-hero-academia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

War is hell.

Been away for a long while (a month or two) hows the thread been?

it's pretty good, I think.

I feel like we had a slump earlier this year, with lower quality posts than usual, but it feels like we're back to normal now.

I found a way to empty out the tavern. I blocked off all the doors and dropped a blind cave ogre in there.

looks like it's all ogre for them

They killed it easily. But I still have an army of troglodytes and trolls to dump.

Is mead a good idea?
Also any news about the myth update?

Mead is worth less than any other kind of alcohol. Don't ask, it's the way Toady does things.
The myth update will hopefully come after this one, which will most likely come sometime next month.

Well yo probably sitting in front of the table in the dinning hall scratching your beard thinking, i just want some damn peach while eating.

Well your in luck today, your waiting is over.
We have made great innovative strides to make the perfect portable soundproofing device.. This machine will block out all and every sound for the user even capable of blocking out the high pitch screeching of dying ellfs.
Its smooth design makes it easy to transport and its made of a special multi layered leather that act as a outer barrier and a final lead insert that blocks out even kobold mind tricks.
the entire device is worn like a hat and is painted in stylish purple to give it that fancy look.
Its also comes with our special bone sinew clamps and straps that will securely attach it to the head of the wearer.

>Clamps might be worn out over time rendering them static, proving impossible to open.

Dorfyelp.wav

Goblins scream even louder when all of their limbs are cut off, and this is a problem for me. Does this work with those too?

Are there any graphical packs for the latest version of DF? Does Mayday still make one?

indeed

Of course there are! I have no idea about mayday, though. A lot of graphics packs will still work with this version, though.

That is good. I'll be using these the next time I go to a dark pits.

These shambone posts have a special place in my heart.

>Are there any graphical packs for the latest version of DF?
yes

>Does Mayday still make one?
yes, but it's shit

How much have the RAW files changed since 40.24? I want to import my old modded files.

There's some new tags for creatures playable in adventure, also some animals were slightly tweaked. I think there's more animal people and giant variations, although that might have been added pre-40.24.
I wouldn't straight up copy over the old RAWs, but there shouldn't be any glaring incompatibilities outside of the adventure thing.

not him, but doesn't using faulty raws (i.e. the old adventurer tokens) sometimes crash the game?

I'd just redo the same changes to the new raws.

What is the most painful death you've ever witnessed in this game?

I cannot believe this is working

My female hammerdorf captain watching her son grow up to also join her squad and then be killed by the undead and becoming to melancholy to continue fighting herself

A goblin, bleeding to death after my wolf man adventurer cut of all of its limbs, ignoring his cries of mercy, and watching the crying creature until it died of blood loss.

Holy fuck I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS IS WORKING
>Guy 1 shots a pikeman with a headshot
>Give him nickname Sniper

Now THIS is target pratice

Dwarves unloaded into the goblins for about 10 minutes before their casualities were too great and they started to fled, at that point I sent out my melee dwarves to mop up the rest.
Didnt lose a single man, killed about 25 or so goblins.
May have lost about 300 rounds of iron bolts, buh eh, good shit.

The most satisfying of victories, bested only by using tamed cavern beasts and siege weapons. 8/10, you made me proud.
>places bone crossbow down and tips leather cap

During the siege however I managed to capture 1 wounded swordsgoblin.
What should I do with her?
Thanks! My dwarves went from dabbling and competent markdwarves to talented in adept pretty fast

put the cage somewhere as decoration.

she'll live forever, and will never have to eat. maybe she'll even outlive your fort.

Caged things still don't have to eat?

Wtf toady

Goblins don't, they be immortal :0

>make a Galena ore stockpile
>don't have enough wheelbarrows for it
>the entire fortress dies for a couple months as a giant mob of dehydrated, starving dorfs haul six tons of boulders through the tunnels
>everyone's depressed because they haven't prayed, talked to anyone, or done anything other than haul a boulder for two months

>Rummaging through battlefield
>Find a random book
>Do we understand Medical Ethics?
Clearly not because your dead hehe

>train my metalsmith by making lead flasks on repeat
>intend to sell them to the elves
>all my military dorfs pick them up and start using them
Uh oh

I've seen bard come during undead siege. He saw a zombie and started beating him with his shitty lute. It didn't work.

In adventurer mode, is it possible to become both a necromancer and a vampire? If not, which one is preferable?

You can. I like necro because it works better with fortress mode and it makes it possible to kill archangel without cheese.

It's fully possible. In fact, being a vampire makes getting necromancy trivial since all you have to do is walk to the tower and grab the slab.

Great. I should grab vampire before necro, though, right, since necro freezes stats?

>not being a true badass and going full RIP AND TEAR on horde

Am I the only one wh wishes Toady would improve the way fires work?

They should be way more dangerous and unpredictable than they currently are. Air currents should be taken into account, and players shouldn't necessarily be safe from fire just because the fort is dug out of rock.

Players should also be able to found some kind of fire department to fight the fires. It could use the same system as the new locations.

That's the first time I see that message.

The log can be ridiculously specific.

Sounds like another thing to melt the CPU if it gets out of hand.

>chubby harpy

>Becoming a necromancer also freezes your attributes so that they cannot rust or be increased. Therefore, it might be wise to raise your attributes to a high level before becoming a necromancer. (However, this does not seem to be happening in the current version, probably due to a bug). (Or it's a design choice. Because let's be honest, just because you're a necromancer doesn't mean you can't learn new things, right?)
Wiki.

How does it fly if it's chubby

It uses the fat folds to help in gliding

I don't think it was ever happening. I think it's just some viral misinformation that spread through the community. Whoever wrote also apparently doesn't know the difference between a skill and an attribute.

it farts to propel itself

Why am I laughing so much at this thought?

Fire is mostly fine the way it is. Once it can consume nonfiresafe constructions and natural walls it will behave pretty naturally. There's no reason that building/digging with firesafe materials shouldn't be an adequate defense against wildfires. We could certainly do with a means of starting fires on demand in fort mode, though.

Same reason I'm erect probably.

que puto asco

Reclaiming a fort I lost to a werezebra infestation. Wish me luck bois

sauce?

crunchyroll.com/my-hero-academia

My Hero Academia (Episode 1)

What do you think the spookiest thing in DF is?

Just the underworld in general for me. Think about it. Like really try to visualize how the underworld must look. A massive wasteland of slade and ash, lit by glowing pits that dimly illuminate towering, monstrous figures that lumber through the eternal twilight. Every other cave layer has some ecosystem and natural logic to it. But Hell doesn't. Its just feels like an entirely different reality superimposed over our own, that if let loose is absolutely guaranteed to end all life as we know it.

Whoops forgot my picture

>tfw you're just minding your own business mining ore when all of a sudden you open a portal to an abyss of eternal darkness
Truly the most horrifying feeling.
Has anyone ever tried to conquer hell before?

>decide to play without exploits
>blithely build a self-propelled draining machine
Goddammit.

One guy did it with 20 legendary dorfs and alot of cave dragons i think.

don't forget that hell even has it's own sky

If i open up hell can i close it again? I'm always super careful around adamantine. mining around each block to make sure i can mine it without unleashing anything.

As long as you place something like a floor or wall made of magma-safe material you should be fine, but your FPS is gonna take a hit from the umpteen gorillion demons

don't forget the old locked-floorhatch-that-can't-be-destroyed-from-below trick

Evil clouds that come out of nowhere and turn everything they rain on into a superzombie hellbent on wiping out all life.

heard about it some times
is it worth a watch?

>posting crunchyroll streams in a video games general
????

>600 year war
>300-something battles
>only 1 victory
>0 deaths
wut

A lot of people have. It's really easy to cheese the initial wave of demons, and possible to defeat them without cheese with a lot of planning and a lot of fighters. After that it's just securing a foothold against the occasional random spawn. Sometimes hell even does most of the work for you, having a bunch of soft demons and a single deadly duster type among them will result in a lot of friendly kills.

It's a crazy war indeed.

no idea, try asking on

What would the benefits of conquering hell be?

Bragging rights and lots of clown meat.

I want to know if an anime is good
not if it's bad, thanks you

>clown meat
Wouldn't the dwarves complain that their food tastes funny though?

To take joy in slaughter.
Seriously, though, why do you do anything in DF beyond the bare minimum required to survive? Whatever your answer to that question is also your answer to your own question.

kil dorf

I was more curious if anything about whether or not Hell had some super secret stuff in it that would help you

It's shit.
You'll love it.

Yeah caged things that do need to eat will starve to death (grazers etc.) but things that don't need to eat normally still don't if they're in a cage.

Is there an easy way to make the combat icon appear only when something starts to murder my dorfs?

Does Toady plan to add any kind of functionality whereby we can send our own dwarfs out to do adventuring/mercenary work and such? Would be nice to be able to send idling military dorfs out on 2-3 month long missions to get loot and bring it back. Maybe have a mercenary company as a zone?

Erm... the very next update, coming in a month or less?

Oh shit, I totally forgot. Sorry, I misremembered and thought that update was for a mod or something. Cool!

Playing as an insect archer in Adventure mode is suffering.

Is it because you have so many limbs to control?

No.
It's because of the fact that insect men can barely lift a quiver full of arrows without slowing down to a snails pace.

How come I'm still not receiving any dwarfs with any social skills? I thought most dwarfs at the very least had novice in some of the social skills but so far out of 30+ dwarfs the only one with any social skills at all is my expedition leader. What gives?

So apparently Poisonous Vapours makes your dwarves completely fine, then they'll suddenly become paralyzed and die.
Good to know, RIP militiadwarf

>first fort
>get 81 invaders on year 2
>second fort, take my security more seriously
>get literally 1 invader on year 2, 7 invaders on year 3