News : Polestar's electric coupe revealed before launch!

The name is '1 Coupe'.

The Polestar 1 is a 592bhp four-seat hybrid GT coupé that will, the brand says, act as a halo model for its future range of electric performance cars, which will be sold via subscription only. Hakan Samuelson, Volvo CEO describes Polestar as "a new brand that relates to a major strategy of the Volvo Group. We want to be leaders in electric cars, and Polestar will play an important role in this strategy".

Due to go into production in mid-2019, the 1 is labeled by company boss Thomas Ingenlath as “an electric car with support from an internal-combustion engine”. It will be the only hybrid to carry the brand’s new badge. All future Polestars, beginning with a Tesla Model 3 rival and a larger SUV-style machine, will be full battery electric vehicles (BEVs).

Other urls found in this thread:

autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/polestar-1-coupé-revealed-592bhp-hybrid-drivetrain
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Power output details -

The 1 will be powered by two electric motors that drive the rear wheels, producing a combined 215bhp with the support of an integrated starter/generator. The car will have a range of around 93 miles in pure-electric, rear-wheel-drive mode. That system will be twinned with a Volvo Drive-E 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine, which sends around 377bhp to the front wheels. When combined in Power model, the hybrid system can produce 737lb ft of torque.

Main Article - autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/polestar-1-coupé-revealed-592bhp-hybrid-drivetrain

Interior

Drivetrain.

Aerial View

Battery Pack

neat

Tire and Brakes

does it use fwd biased haldex awd too?

It uses an ICE to power the front wheels and 2 electric motors for the rear wheels. The system can be switched to RWD only mode.

Don't get excited it's subscription only...

i want it.

We're truly living in the future.

one day these cars are going to be fucking common man.

Why is the battery mounted so high?

Why is it not between the rear wheels or under the passenger seats?

65% of the power is sent to the front wheels.

I don't like the taillights. Look like lots of cheap Chinese concept cars taillights.

It'd look better if instead of the top part going into the trunk, they instead wrapped forward into the rear fenders. It'd also more resemble the logo that way.

Front/side/top are perfect, though.

It's an expensive Chinese concept.

>made in China

Looks great. Every line is correct, smooth in the right places and creased in the others. Very good looking. Understated, in a super cool way. Great design.

Oh who are we kidding, it's bland as fuck. It's the coolest shade of brown. Once again Volvo chooses not to have an identity and put out a car that looks as good as it can "without offending anybody."

Way to drum up nearly zero emotion but the big reveal you fucking cucks.

Thanks to OP for posting though

>Polestar

Guess the MSRP? My guess is $85K.

what are you talking about? It's basically an s90 coupe, and the s90 is really cool looking.

Looks like a C90, pretty good. Probably based on the SPA.

Actually, this is pretty sad. Volvo has all the bits and pieces for a nice mid-engined AWD roadster: just put the 370 hp 2L I4 in the back, and then use a set of electric motor to power the front wheels. With proper engineering, they could have something to challenge the 911, maybe even the NSX, but no, Volvo refuses to make the cool car everybody wants them too.

Now go and make a me a T8 XC40.

>T8 XC40
>wanting a 400hp woman's car

the new S60 in t8 might be cool though

Yeah I'd guess 85k-105k. Shouldn't be more due to having the S90 interior.

Bland. Boring. Safe.

To add insult to injury, I Google searched "s90 volvo" to look at it's front fascia and the search autocomplete suggested "s903 xanax"

It is based on the SPA, 50% of it shared with the S90, but the rest is new. S90 is like 5,20 meters long and this is 4,65 or something.

This is the first polestar model (production will begin in mid 2018 in a new factory in Chengdu, designed by the norwegian architechts Snöhetta (check them out)), the other two, unsurprisignly named 2 and 3 in a flair of nordic wit, are going to be a 4 door electric sedan to challenge Tesla's Model 3 and an SUV, to challenge Model X.

The weird thing is you can't actually buy it, you can ONLY lease it for 2-3 years, so you don't even own it. That's right, you can't buy it cash.

Looks really cool, but
>subscription only
>A maximum of 500 of the 1 will be produced per year, the company said.

If the batteries go to shit in 3 years then I guess you won't want it any more anyway.

Checked Snohetta out... innovative cutting edge Swedish design. Pic related was taken from their homepage as a design they did.

If Volvo allowed a shape like this to be integrated into their Polestar Halo car, we'd be in business. Think about a shape like this as a C-Pillar. It'd be revolutionary design, it'd beat nu-BMW at their own game and actually work.

Until this happens I agree with

the heck am I looking at

This is art... get it?

>complaining that a Volvo is safe

Yeah, it is FWD biased.

Looks like an unfinished concept car.

As a Volvo owner, i consider that car to be absolute garbage

>less than 100 miles in electric mode. Do they really want to become leaders on the market with such poor performance compared to other electric car manuyfacturers ?
>not even half of the power comes from the electric motors
>FWD biaised AWD may make sense for a wagon, not a premium GT coupé
>turbo 4 banger
>no more push buttons, falling for the iPad meme
>horrible front end
>shitty emblem instead of the glorious swedish shield and spear

Dumb Poleriders think they can outperform the
TIMELESS
ICE
ERA
How dare you volvo

Front end looks like a big blocky mustang with dumb headlights.

When can we see a mid-engined Volvo or a Polestar?

I'm complaining that the design is safe. It wasn't commentary on the company's stellar physical crash data.

Should have kept the styling closer to the P1800

Never
Chinks really want to inovate while not putting any yuan on r&d so volvo has to use what ever chacis they already had

Pretty sure he was just making a joke.

Then they would just remake the c30 again

The C30 looks nothing like the P1800

>shitty emblem
This
The old polestar emblem looked much better than this ultra minimalistic star

The back of the c30 is based on the p1800 es back

Fair enough, the arse of the estate looks sort of similar but it looks nothing at all like the coupe

You are now the volvo CEO and your chink overlords allowed you to make an actual halo car called the polestar 0
How would you do it

I would
>bring back either the turbo 5 pot for nostalgia sake or the yamaha v8 and tune either of them to put out 600+hp
> develop a MR chassis
>get the t8 hybrid part to power the front wheels for an extra 275hp
>batteries all inside the center tunnel of our the car for better handling
>let those sweed designers go nuts on crazy and respectable lines while at the same time drawing inspiration from past cars
>put the norse god Tyr in the emblem with his spear and reveal the car on a Tuesday

I don't joke when it comes to safety.

Electric super car like a Rimac but more affordable and available. ICE is on its way out now and is inferior in everyway to an electric engine.

The only redeeming factor is petrol stations are more prevalent and battery technology isn't quite at the same range as fuel.

>The Polestar 1
It's body reminds me a lot of the chinese Cavalier. No wonder why the chinese government made it hard for Tesla to sell cars in China unless it built a factory there to train chinese workers on how to build electric cars the tesla way.

Chinese batteries are shitty. Eneloop is a japanese brand that has batteries made in both china and japan supposedly to the same specs. But the eneloop ones made in china suspiciously fail at about half the lifespan of the supposedly identical japanese-made ones. This was after testing by one rechargeable battery forum.

Polestar 1 hybrid uses a 2.0 liter gas engine with 377 BHP. Brake horsepower (BHP) is the measure of an engine's horsepower (HP) before the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, etc. That 377 BHP is still a lot of horsepower for a 2 liter engine. Is that 377 BHP chinese horsepower? Or standard BHP horsepower? It's like those chinese desktop speakers rated at 700 watts RMS but they are only 3 inches diameter with paper cones. Those were chinese watts. Or will the engine actually only put out 155 HP because 377 was the peak power before the engine fell apart?

the standard t6 engine cranks out 250 bhp so I'd assume 370 isn't unreasonable.

>norse god Tyr

Racist and misogynistic.

>which will be sold via subscription only.

Like a Volvo didn't make you look like a douche already.

those engines are legit
The XC90 T8 is scary fast for a huge ass SUV

>all this money in development and they decide to use shitty trunk hinges instead of scissor ones that don't take up trunk space

>take this car
>turn the engine sideways
>add a manual trans and zf 8 speed option
>make it rwd
>keep it under 3500lbs
>sell fucking tons of them

The whole idea of polestar is that is eletric or hybrid, user
unless you put the engine MR, its useless for the project

>add a bunch of things nobody in the hybrid/EV market would ever want
>add a bunch of heavy things on a car already laden with batteries and an engine that doesn't directly make power to the wheels
>under 3500
lol

>manufactured by chinks
RIP in piss, the chinese factory is shit and filled with the incompetent

>posted from my chinese phone or computer

With cars we have an alternative. That's the difference.

what's wrong with Volvo?

I agree about the subscription though, save that for urbanite trophy wives

wow the 2020 mustang gt hybrid looks great!

>chink shit

hybrids that can run on pure electric are the way of the future.

looks like something between an S5 and bentley coupe

on it's own it seems like a pretty neat car, but it certainly doesn't work as an exciting halo car to bring people into the brand

>which will be sold via subscription only
So, that means they are too experimental to be sold with normal consumer protection laws. Thus each is a special order individual made to order item which evades those consumer protection laws specially made for cars sold in the open market.

This means those consumers are also bearing the brunt of the expense of being guinea pigs. This is unlike a normal western car company, but it seems appropriate for the way chinese have done things in the past.

>it certainly doesn't work as an exciting halo car to bring people into the brand
It's more like a prototype, but the company doesn't want to pay for more R&D on its own, so it is putting it out early and having consumers foot the bill along with three substantial government subsidies (net plus income) for 1) a program that is actively selling such types of electric cars, 2) individual car subsidies for each one sold, and 3) tax credits and exemptions for the volvo corporation.

The added benefit is that the chinese side benefit from such things funded by taxpayers. It's similar to how china has usa taxpayers pay for its research by inserting research proposals into the academic system for research grants. But in this case, it uses a corporation to do so for R&D of an industrial asset.

>The Polestar 1 is a 592bhp four-seat hybrid GT coupé
A cynically made car like that has nothing to do with conservation of resources or reduction of pollution. But it consumers a lot of taxpayer money supposedly going towards pollution reduciton.

>sold via subscription only.
Sounds like they don't want to sell many. AND they don't want dealers to stock them because that costs money. Whenever a manufacturer in a taxpayer-funded activity does this, it's because they are ripping off the taxpayers to build factory space, buy equipment, and do R&D without really making many actual vehicles. They can then transfer that equipment and factory infrastructure to do other things later after the taxpayer subsidies are collected.

>The whole idea of polestar is:

....to not sell many cars due to the subscription required nonsense.

Did anyone else notice the fact that they're getting almost 380bhp from a 4cylinder straight from the factory? It's got like 2hp more than the hand-built, forged powerplant in the CLA/GLA45.

>getting almost 380bhp from a 4cylinder

It's the 2.0 liter engine that is getting run hard that worries me. Other peeps might worry about the engine line being short lived because those models will have low sales to minimize the number of recalls.

Maybe a twin turbo supercharged 4cyl?

I noticed that too
It's almost more impressive than the rest of the car

>using the cabling as a styling element by having it routed very cleanly
i like it
hell i like the whole thing

>Chinks really want to inovate while not putting any yuan on r&d so volvo has to use what ever chacis they already had
They actually use the same chassis for the Xc90, S90 and the Xc60.

That is what scares me. Take the case in XC90. That tiny engine is powered by a supercharger and a turbocharger while making it get over 300hp. I'm scared it's one day gonna blow up under hard acceleration from a traffic light take off. Fuck EPA and fuel economy laws because thats what made them downsize the engines. instead of going 6cyl or V8.

>It's almost more impressive than the rest of the car
Getting that much power out of that engine reminds me of what Toretto said in Fate of the Furious 8 - it's only gotta run a mile. The chinese overlords probably figure that the best use of the engine and money is to have it be able to just last a tad bit longer than the expected lifespan of that model of car. It's a car not meant to sell in large quantity because it's put on sale only to keep the program qualified for the max number of taxpayer subsidies. A normal reputable car company like honda, toyota, hyundai, kia, germany, chrysler, ford, gm, italy, brazil would not do this subscription nonsense. I guess volvo china is banking on people having short memories or not realizing what tricks they are using to suck the taxpayers dry as well as leave the polestar buyers out on a limb. But since there won't be all that many polestar buyers, their voices won't be heard in the forums especially since lawyers will force those forums to scrub all posts without proof (court judgement).

I guess you would cross shop this with a P100D or something, seems too clinical to be compared to other sports cars. Still I like it