What does Veeky Forums think about minivans? Are they gay?

What does Veeky Forums think about minivans? Are they gay?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hrlHTCN6J8A
youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q1EJjA8o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think they're fine, especially if you take out the bench seats, leaving a ton of open space

Practical

SUV's and crossovers however are gay..less space but more expensive lol

They're not so bad now that crossovers are all the rage. If I had a 10-car garage, one would probably be a minivan and I'd drive it whenever I need to move shit around and don't want to deal with the unpolished nature of full-sized vans.

cheap
v6 on the base model
practical

vs

same price if not more
shitty 4 cylinder engine unless you take a more expensive model
less practical
shitty mileage considering the power

They're good, at least Caravans like that which most of my experience is with. Carry lots of shit, carry it comfortably, drive like a big car, have more grunt than you'd expect (with AWD as an option), seats either fold all the way in or can be easily taken all the way out.

Crossovers are hot garbage in comparison, really.

The ultimate hot hatch.

Why do you all hate crossovers?

Oh, and some of the most comfortable fucking front seats I've ever seen in a vehicle. There's nothing special about them visually or mechanically and they have no business being anything other than econobox captain's chairs (which they are) but goddamn, I slept on those things many a time.

They are the holy grail of practicality.
Small crossovers like the Nissan Puke on the other hand are turbogay

Drove one (chrysler pacifica) for the first time recently while on holiday in burgerland and it was comfy af

previa is pretty cool.
Minivan is heaps better than fag crossover

imagine you are a vegan and hate everoyne who eats meat
crossovers is mcdonalds

They haven't driven either ofc. After having driven (and worked on) both, crossovers are superior. Not 'quite' as much cargo space, but close enough to enjoy the better ride and power/weight ratio. Then again, my view is probably skewed from DDing a 2.0t Escape and driving work Caravans and Odysseys.

I haven't really stepped in the worlds fastest minivan.

I have the exact minivan in your picture.
It has 200k miles and was worked like a mule for the entire duration.
I use it as a work van it only has the two front seats and the back is full of abt 1k+lbs of tools and wood.
Never has it left me stranded

I have the same but mine is rusting hardcore. Living in michigan does that though. Still works wonderfully.

wagons > minivans

Big on the outside
Smaller than a sedan on the inside
Can't go off road
Can't tow

take out the middle row and remove the last row in an odyssey and i can put 4'x8' wood flat. 10' pipe fits up to the back of the first row and 12' can fit under the passenger seat. its great if you don't tow

Had the same thing happen with my old third gen Voyager (one generation earlier than the Caravan in the OP)- that 3.3 was still purring like a kitten at almost 350,000 miles, but the entire vehicle rusted around it. First the front strut towers turned to Swiss cheese (a known problem with third gens), then the doors and hatch and kick panels started rotting, then the exhaust fell off, then while fixing (kludging) the exhaust we noticed a quarter sized hole rusting right through the rear axle, then the frame got to the point where it was unsafe to drive anymore and at that point that was enough so to the scrapyard it went. New York winters and salt are not nice to late 90s Chrysler metal.

a sienna will btfo half of Veeky Forums's cars at a stop light

Why do the minivans get 298hp when the 4runner only gets 270hp?

>driving a cuckwagon

Equal to hatchbacks and wagons. At least minivans are a lot bigger and only a little heavier. I hate the hot hatch trend. Idk if its awd and 300hp,.it has the aesthetics of a minivan. I miss 80s f bodies and 300zx type of sleek ass cars. Nowadays we have people praising hot hatches appearance while they bash on crossovers and vans that have the same silhouette

The correct answer is: because Veeky Forums is automotive hipsters and if something has mainstream popularity it's automatically bad.

Crossovers: bad
Haldex AWD: bad
Korean Cars: bad
Hybrids: bad
Teslas: oh, you better believe it's bad

I guarantee you if the CAFE rules were changed so crossovers fell out of favor and we all went back to station wagons again, Veeky Forums would be bitching about them again.

But korean cars are bad.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

4x4 minivan is a blast.

The perfect body on frame design is multiple boxes aka the pickup truck

The ultimate unibody is the largest egg shape possible aka the minivan

Minivans are the most alpha vehicles on the road driven by family men who have their priorities straight

>mfw no 6 speed 1000hp Odyssey

Hell yes, this right here.

When our kids were small enough to still be in diapers, I broke down and did the whole mini-van thing. Got the wife a 95 Ford Windstar LX which was only 6 years old at the time. Took the center seat out, and holy shit! It was a fucking miracle of how awesome it became!

Kids were in their car seats in the back seat, middle seat was gone, so there was actually room to do shit like changing diapers and loading groceries and whatnot, and life was just generally good.

Van did great for 5 years until the crank broke sending a rod out of the side of the block and into the transmission.

Yes, that literally happened. The van was still in fantastic physical shape because it was leather, and puke and shit wipes off of leather. Leather is a fucking *requirement* when you have kids. Children are fucking disgusting, and they will destroy cloth seats 0.00173 seconds after sitting on it the first time. Leather wipes right off though, no problems.

>Not squeezing your whole senpai into an RX7 or a Supra

faggot

Crossovers are the "jack of all trades, master of none" of vehicles.

"Car-like handling" but they still awful compared to even family hatchbacks like the Focus or the Golf.
More power than a standard sedan or hatchback but still slower due all the extra weight.
Huge ties and wheels that are super expensive to replace, so normies drive around on bald tires all the time.
Less unable interior space than a station wagon.
Tough off-road looks and marketing in many models when they have pathetic afterthought AWD systems that struggle with pretty much anything.

Me personally I'd pick the pannel van. Especially because if you wanna do a road trip throw a mattress in the back, and you practically have enough room to stand up. A lot of vans have truck engines too so they have some get-up-and-go to them.

Also you can't paint a bitchen dragon on the side of a minivan.

>Can't go off road
>Can't tow
I did those things in my 95 Voyager just fine.
I raised the suspension a bit when I used to log and the tow package was great for my trailer when I mowed lawns.
And I used to pull trucks out of the snow with my AWD.

That's a big implication ya got there cunt

The current Ford Transit Connect is basically a ford Escape FWD now.

I can say this after driving both for work.

>what is torque

No, they are cool as hell

It's a fucking minivan

I'm just stating that the looks, handling, engine, and transmission are exactly the same as the Escape FWD, not that it isn't a minivan.

The Escape just has better ride height, less cargo space, and AWD if you go for the option.

Yeah, but
>muh minivan
>muh flat floor

Transits really only come to the states as minivans to escape the chicken tax. I hardly, if ever, see them being used like that. The one I drove didn't even have windows in the back.

IIRC, they take the seats out as soon as they're imported and send the seats back to Germany.

I dunno about that but I have seen Transits and Transit Connects trimmed for passenger transport, not just panel work vans

All the interior space of a sedan with all the maneuverability of the SUVs they like to imitate

I'm not surprised that there are some out there, Ford lets you option them out on their site. Just noting from personal experience that I don't think I've ever actually seen a passenger Transit Connect, or at least one with windows on the sliding doors.

The short wheelbase one seems handy if I ever decide to go all mormon on having kids.

I have seen passenger versions of the full sized Transits around the airport though.

They would be great for airport shuttles/cab service

>4 cyl engine
>seats 7
>reasonable fuel efficiency
>comfortable enough ride
>relatively inexpensive

P R A C T I C A L
R A C T I C A L P
A C T I C A L P R
C T I C A L P R A
T I C A L P R A C
I C A L P R A C T
C A L P R A C T I
A L P R A C T I C
L P R A C T I C A

I love them. The Pacifica Hybrid gets 32 mpg average on gasoline and 33 miles all-electric range.

>starting at $41,995
VS
>Dodge Grand Caravan
>starting at $25,995

Caravans have a love hate relationship with people.

I love them because during road trips as a kid, the grand caravan with 2nd row captain's chairs were the comfiest chairs possible.

15 years later I hate them with a passion because working on these things requires all tech's to have a tetinus shot in their toolbox.

The Pacifica is on a new platform with better handling and reduced noise, vibration, and harshness.
The Pacifica hybrid gets better fuel economy at 32 mpg, while the Grand Caravan gets 20 mpg. The Pacifica hybrid gets 84 mpge in EV mode.
The Pacifica hybrid is safer with the IIHS top safety pick plus award and the best rating of "good" in the small overlap test. The Grand Caravan has the worst rating of "poor". A person could theoretically walk away from a crash that would kill or leave someone permanently paralyzed in the Grand Caravan.

Pacifica small overlap crash test:
youtube.com/watch?v=hrlHTCN6J8A
Chrysler Town & Country small overlap crash test (equally comparable to Grand Caravan):
youtube.com/watch?v=X_-q1EJjA8o

Is that considered a minivan? Looks to big to be a minivan.