Alright, former neet attempting to be normal here. Are cars basically just something for rich people...

Alright, former neet attempting to be normal here. Are cars basically just something for rich people? I've been trying to get one for months and every attempt just makes me more frustrated than the last.

-I tried renting a car, most wouldn't rent to me without a credit card, of the ones that would rent to me with a debit card they wanted shit I didn't have. My job pays me under the table, my apartment gives me free utilities, so how in the FUCK am I supposed to supply a pay stub or a utility bill? I tried using my mom's stuff, but she's been paperless for years. I tried giving them an old stub and they said it had to be recent.
-So I tried "turo" which lets you rent directly from the owners. For some reason approval took a month, but I gave them gobs and gobs of information, was approved three different times, and then when I went to rent it told me I had "insufficient driving history". So renting is out.
-So my landlord had offered to loan me a van, but when I brought the subject up she told me I could only use it locally. For background, I'm specifically trying to get a vehicle to take a trip across the country. So another avenue out.
-So then I tried the car dealer route. First I had a circus experience, I made a thread about it here some time back. They kept us there for six hours bullshitting us and holding my cards so I couldn't leave.
-Then I found an ad for an inexpensive one on Truecar. It would have been 3k at less than 60 bucks a month. So two days in a row I say I'll go and they tell me they're closed. I show up the third day when the guy said he'd be there, and when I called him he claimed it was his day off, pawned me off on someone else who informed me the car was sold "that morning" but if I was interested in something more expensive, they could work with me.
-So I'm stuck with craigslist, which has been a total nightmare. I know last time I posted about this I was told "do a private sale" but all the cars on craigslist are horse shit. (cont.)

Other urls found in this thread:

brownsville.craigslist.org/search/cto
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-ford-e250-cargo-van/6350261304.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/03-chevrolet-widescreen/6350056250.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/outstandingo7-lexuses350/6350188053.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-lincoln-navigator/6347642998.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-toyota-pickup-sr5-4wd/6338822206.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/search/cto?hasPic=1&max_price=2000&auto_make_model=Toyota
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every single one is either unrealistically priced or flat out broken. I can't count the number of ads I've read (after translating from spanish) with ridiculous descriptions like "Car runs great! No engine." or "Car's in great condition! Doesn't start."

I spoke to one guy who wants a down payment of 375 and 175 a month. I told him what I needed the car for. He told me all of his cars were "like elderly people" and that "sometimes they work, sometimes they don't" and I'd "need a good mechanic."

There's another guy who posts a new car every day, which the ad always says runs great and is in great condition. I message him and ask him if the AC works and if it's trustworthy for a road trip, and every time he tells me no to both.

I'm to the point there I'm looking at cars with huge, glaring issues and wondering which would be the cheapest to fix. The one where the guy told me the water pump is broken or the one where the air conditioner's compressor is broken (but the entire car looks like it was pulled off the set of a Mad Max knock-off)?

You said you needed a car to go on a trip across the country.
Why? There isn’t anything worth visiting anymore in the US, and if you need to go somewhere you buy a plane ticket and a taxi.

Visiting a girl who I've been trying to go visit for months. I'll have to take my dog with me, which is one reason a plane or bus is out and the girl would be coming back with me.

As far as where I'd visit? There's a few places I'd still like to see. I like going to Vegas on occasion. There's haunted houses all over the country right now and those are fun sometimes. Also the drive to see her gives me an excuse to stop at The Galloping Ghost Arcade, which is pretty awesome and has a lot of one of a kind shit.

>visiting a girl and bringing her back with me
Are you taking her boyfriend too? No offense, but from you’re not making yourself out to be a smart person. Purchasing a car is a heavy decision, and your reasons to own one seem very weak. If you saved more money and just bought your not-girlfriend a ticket (which I don’t recommend anyways) then you could save yourself a lot of grief and financial strain.

Post local CL and budget, you faggot

>and your reasons to own one seem very weak.
My immediate reason is so I can take this trip. Long-term it's so I'm not constantly depending on others for rides, as my main source of transportation is extremely unreliable. Additionally it'll open me up to better employment opportunities.

What do you want? You could say I was being unrealistic if I was demanding specifically an expensive red sports car or some shit, but I will take *anything* that runs. I'm looking at cars that are ten to twenty years old. It shouldn't be this difficult to find a single car dealer that isn't trying to do nothing but fuck me up the ass, or a single private seller who doesn't expect me to pay new numbers for an ancient used car.

Call me unrealistic, but if you're trying to sell any car with a broken air conditioner or a driver's door that doesn't properly close or entire missing fucking seats for more than 600, you're an asshole, period.

>My job pays me under the table
Get a real job and stop selling drugs.

brownsville.craigslist.org/search/cto

If I can get something with financing, I was hoping no more than 600 down and 100 a month, because after that I still have to get insurance and probably renew the plates and all that, and I don't think I can just throw around more than 150 a month.

If I'm paying all at once, maybe a thousand. I doubt I'll be able to convince any private seller to give it to me on payments, though. Well, not over the phone. They have offered before in person if I don't seem interested.

Of course then there's the gas for the trip, a hotel room for a couple nights, etc.

I don't sell drugs, I sell jewelry and do handyman type shit for my landlord. I sell jewelry at a stand at a night club at a party beach location, and I do shit around here for them like painting apartments, raking leaves, mowing the grass, etc.

Getting a better job than that in walking distance has proven nearly impossible.

>Visiting a girl
oh dear god this is worse than i thought
you got a lot to learn my dude

Git 'Em Steve Dave, is that you?

I mean, we've met and fooled around before. We talk constantly. I have local options, she appeals to me far more. It's not as bad as it sounds.

I don't know who that is.

I'm sorry, but you do not have enough money to be traveling with a pet. No car you can buy with the money you have will be reliable enough. You have the following options

>get rid of your pet and take the bus - there are ways to travel by bus pretty cheaply I'm sure some other board can fill you in on it
>offer to buy the girl a one way ticket to you and be prepared for the possibility of being stuck with an unhappy bitch and/or having to watch her whore her way somewhere else
>put your $1000 in a sock or whatever and start putting your $150 neetbux a month in there with it until you get at least $1000 more then buy a $1500 civic and hold the $500 for repairs (and keep putting in the $150 a month until you have $2000 before you stop)

I will now actually look at your craigslist and post some examples of cars that might reasonably take you across the country without breaking more than $500 too bad to get back home.

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-ford-e250-cargo-van/6350261304.html gas guzzler but good for a dog and stealth camping
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/03-chevrolet-widescreen/6350056250.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/outstandingo7-lexuses350/6350188053.html
brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-lincoln-navigator/6347642998.html This one might actually meet your requirements but you'll need a friend who is both Veeky Forums and speaks spanish

>brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-lincoln-navigator/6347642998.html

The description says the engine doesn't start.

Says it just needs a battery. Try jump starting it to find out.

Holy shit OP you seem like you have no clue how this works. Save more money, buy your car outright. No dealership or used car lot will finance any vehicle worth buying for the money you've got. Craigslist is hard to find a decent car on, because anything great is bought on the same day it's posted. Be vigilant.

Also, find a part-time gig like fast food so you have a paper trail. You can't just tell a bank you're paid under the table and expect them to deal with you; same for financing at auto dealerships.

Here's some more since I like shopping

brownsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-toyota-pickup-sr5-4wd/6338822206.html

If you can't save up $2000 to buy a used car why the fuck are you tying to go on a cross country road trip.

brownsville.craigslist.org/search/cto?hasPic=1&max_price=2000&auto_make_model=Toyota

Get your ass a buss pass and start saving broseph.

in my area people will take a a 1999 generic suv, roll it no less than twice, and still not have repaird the damage from crashing it into a pole, and demand 2500 firm.

there is a 2000s bmw up right now that "over heated and just needs a head gasket" and he thinks he is going to get the perfect condition price for it.
the ads here and endless lulzfest (unless you're actually looking for a car)

Lmao you dont think shes fucking chads every weekend? Spare yourself from the trouble, she is not coming back with you

>being an illegal

come on trump wheres muh fukkin wall

Dude you need to get realistic and grow up. Do not buy a car you aren't ready. Do not travel across America for a girl make your bitches come to you. Hell I push for greatness everyday but seeing you I feel like a success at 22. Have a truck for side jobs (tree man), a nice Miata for cruising, a 650 sport bike and a 450 dual sport. Talking to/fucking 2 girls now because I dumped my girl of 3 years. You want nice shit? Go out and work your ass off and don't bend a knee to some broad 20 states away. Jesus Christ.

You fucking retard want to pay max 100 a month for a car but you are ready to buy a 12 MPG highway shitbox to cross the country. Maybe you should wait until you reach adulthood before planing your life.