What's a good first car for a broke ass college student?

What's a good first car for a broke ass college student?

I want something cheap I can learn mechanics on
Personally i'm thinking Honda civic, but I want to hear your suggestions and reasonings

Other urls found in this thread:

kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-chevrolet-hhr-lt-cold-c/6340706164.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I learned on a 99 cherokee, everything is bigger and easier to work on not mention it was cheap af and the parts can be searched for practically dirt at junkyards.

Civic if you want the aftermarket, cherokee if you want to own an engineering diagram basically. You can learn mechanical stuff on any car, anyone will tell you that you can only learn if something breaks and you fix it on your own.

Civics are slow, I bought the cherokee because I wanted a cheap offroad toy that I could fix piss easily. If you wanna be the ultimate broke college student get a shitty honda hatch, or even a camry if you're feeling extra shitty

Sorry m8, old civic hatches are goddamn expensive now.
>1999 Civic coupe- $1300
>1997 Civic Cx Hatch- $6500
>'it's basically the typeR shell so I'm not letting it go cheap'
>'yeah the rockers are shot but it's an easy fix'
>'don't waste my time with lowballs'
>'don't try negotiating on the broken windshield'

The rustiest most beat to shit 90s pickup you can afford. They are the easiest and most forgiving things to work on.

OP here
Dude I fucking love engineering, it's my life passion

op here

So old Ford F-150?
I live in Texas, those dam things are everywhere

get one with the 4.9 inline 6

Goddammit, my inner autism hate's having the same thing as everyone else

It Also hates Macbooks and Jeeps because they're pretensions

well if you dont want a bulletproof engine that can haul 3 tons of pussy then get whatever you want

>jeeps

The only pretentious jeeps are the wranglers, OG real niggas fuck with the grand cherokees

Nah, I fucking love Ford, but it's too common is my only real complaint

post your local craigslist and budget.

that means replacement parts are gonna be cheap. user no one in the real world is gonna jack you off because the engine under the hood is different

I know, I just like oddball obscure shit

My therapist once told my mom that was because I was seeking attention( Which I am )
But a part of me loves odd or failed ideas or concepts for the awkward history

Golf 3, 2.0l engine

Fun to drive and simple to work on

then get a bronco. a little less common.

or if you want to be weird, get a 94-99 saab 9-3. download t5 suite. Find a HUGE turbo. torque steer into a steer.

Sounds like my type of car

I bought a 1997 Toyota Celica 1.8l 5 speed. Not terribly slow, fairly good handling, fold seats down for shit loads of space, parts are pennies, shares same engine as the pre-1999 Geo Prizm, and pre-1996 Corollas.
Even the 2.2l was shared with the Camry and has the potential for simple mods like forged rods, pistons, a turbo, etc

My nigga
4 cylinders, 8 valves and a serpentine belt are all you need.

They like to rust tho

you could go for a base model 3 series

kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-chevrolet-hhr-lt-cold-c/6340706164.html

2200-5999 for standards
4999 -12999 for SS 300hp models.

parts dirt cheap. 35mpg

that ones got 268K (the sheer fact the 2.2 lasts that long is pretty dam good) but if you look around you can find a old person owned one with only like 30-35k miles. for around 4000 bucks. itll last nearly forever if you keep up on oil and so on.

OH LOOK ITS A THREAD THAT PRETTY MUCH DESCRIBES EVERY SINGLE LAST FUCKING PERSON WHO POSTS HERE

Ford Focus MK1
Honda Civic / Accord
Old Fords (1990-2000) in general

If you're in the U.S., go for a 94-95 mustang GT. Go for fairly cheap around 3-4k, get a 5.0 that has plenty of room for improvement, and is a super easy to work on base. Not to mention it has the chassis of the games foxbody, with all disc brakes and 5 lug wheels. Plus the interior is meh but is modern enough considering it was used until 2004. Plus that 5.0

>dat 5.0
>5.0

Old F-150 would be fine. My dad's company has 2 2005's one with 288,000 miles on the 4.6. The other with the 235,000 with the 5.4.
The inline 6 manual set up would be great for a first car. Imo for parking I would get extended or single cab. With a short bed.

>wat kar iz gud
Honda LS-5 miata for 3k

>park on curb
>cant open or close hatch

that's my shit senpai