We all know of the Singer 911 as a re-imagined masterpiece of the old Porsche Carrera...

We all know of the Singer 911 as a re-imagined masterpiece of the old Porsche Carrera, but it shouldn't be the only one of its kind.

If money were no object, what car would you turn into a 'masterpiece' of engineering?

Pic related, the engine of the newest Singer

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WoaT-WcOTEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If money was no object I would gas anyone who thought it was okay to run around hacking up old cars just to make them faster. As if making the faster is the end all be all of being a good car. If you don't like the way70s Carrera in its stock form drives don't buy one. If you want a car that drives like a brand new Porsche just buy a brand new Porsche

Singers are 964s you dolt

It's not about making the car faster, it's about making it perfect. Taking the aesthetics of the older cars and blending them with the efficiency of newer components.

The appeal of the Singer is that it takes something solid but otherwise kind of unremarkable and polishes it to absolute autistic perfection. The 964's were never the most popular or most sought after, but it's also a good thing because they have strong baselines to build off of without being expensive (in Porsche terms anyway.)

The MN12 platform shares that same strength. Solid, with a LOT good engineering put into it, but never anything terribly remarkable or sought after from the factory. The cancelled 1998 SVT T-bird had a shot of being special, but even that would have suffered from 90's Ford build quality. Building one of these cars like a Singer would make for one of the finest GT coupes on the planet and I'd have a blast owning such a bespoke cruiser.

not gonna lie, when i thought of the idea for this thread that was not what i was expecting

Welcome to the land of shitboxes and the men who love them.

id pick the triumph GT6. no other car screams "keep the body, change everything else" as loudly

That's so fucking sexy.

My first choice aside from the 911 would probably be the E-type, but Eagle are already doing that. As controversial as this might be, maybe the Datsun 240z? I've always absolutely loved the look of that car. I think a "pro-touring" 240z would be really neat.

Even more controversially I think an old Merc 300SL Gullwing would be very cool. That being said, it would be 1) heinously expensive and 2) probably generate a lot of angry opinions.

you mean like a restomod?
pic related

I think the 240/260/280 would be a good base. There's enough of them out there and people love them enough that you'd probably have a decent customer base.

I'd be more interested in the commuter cars of yesteryear. Quite a few people do Mini's already (pic related), I'd like to see VW Beetles or Fiat 600s given the same treatment. Hell, even a 90's Honda. Just as long as the base was originally a basic, decent commuter with enough performance to have a little fun with. Making something like that a wonderful thing to sit inside of and drive sounds like a worthwhile endeavour.

There's been two efforts with the 300SL, one in-house Mercedes-AMG and one from Mechatronik.

I'd give this the performance that suits its looks.

I remember when that one made the rounds.
Fucking painful

VL

>Every late Sacco car (pic related)
>Classic BiTurbo/Ghibli
>Type 35 (modern 2.0L DOHC I8, HNNNNNG)
>Fiat 1500 Pininfarina Spider
>Karmann Ghia
>1970 Trans-Am Mustang replica w/ mods
>Starion
>Isuzu Impulse RS
>Peugeot 907
>Actually any Peugeot prototype
>275LM
>XJ13
>904/8

I'd also do an Alfaholics GTA-R style (barebones, lots of carbon fiber, revhappy engine) overhaul on the following:
>BMW 1602 (Modern K1600 engine)
>Volvo Amazon/P1800 (Yamaha V8 engine)
>Kadett/Manta (aluminium 5.3 ''LS'')

That would be bitching with the 2.9 V6 from the Giulia QV.

>tfw no OS giken s30
youtube.com/watch?v=WoaT-WcOTEg

Rebuild Shit Sports Car with $500,000
Masterpiece ?

I would love someone to completely restore these cars. Instead most of the owners are stupid kid drifters, and for some reason boomers who cant do anything right. And not the kind of boomers who restore shit, just the stupid, stubborn types who insist on doing things only one way, and make sale threads using broken photobucket links, or not post pics at all.

I prefer OEM+
Using some OEM parts and some performance parts such as better brakes and suspension components as those old cars have mediocre brakes and suspension in comparison to newer cars.

Probe GT with the Taurus SHO V6, the one from the 90s. On paper everything was there it was a solid grand tourer but it needed more power and that motor, or the Duratec V6 from the Contour SVT would have been nice, paired with a 6 speed from the SVT Focus

In the end the number one drawback on that car is FWD

I think another car that could use a reboot is the 240, that was another solid car that was a bit underpowered (at least in the States they were) and the people who had them loved them

Except very little of anyone actually makes parts for these cars anymore.

You don't understand the concept.
The idea is to take the car and use the absolute best materials, techniques and parts to make it the best "hotrod" it can be.
If someone owns a car, they can do whatever the hell they want to do with it, there's nothing your purist ass can do about it.

The best thing on the probe was the KL-DE.

You are just taking the good part and making it gooder. As you say it's still a FWD junk box

Aircooled Beetles (a lot of them are already being given the treatment)
Chevy Corvair

bulletproof 13b
especially for the fc

Purism is the most retarded thing