Anyone here in the Air Force/military?

Anyone here in the Air Force/military?
What expenses can I expect?
What percentage of my income can I expect to save?

Other urls found in this thread:

afsoc.af.mil/Units/AirForceSpecialOperationsAirWarfareCenter/USAFSOS/MAVNI.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also interested. thinking of doing army

also, is payment done during boot camp? i owe 300/month for car and phone bill, the car is to my parents and i dont want to fuck them over out of a grand

They make you start a bank account for your pay. Your recruiter will set it up if you don't already have a bank account. You don't get paid until after your first moth in Basic Training and you won't have much access to banking during basic so just make sure mom and dad can cover you a month if they need to, after that its's every 1st and 15th. You can look up pay grades online.The military almost always accomodates expenses and they give you a yearly clothing allowance. If you want to save money set up allotments to be taken out of your check. Thrift Savings Plan especially.

Not many expenses after allowances. You can save a lot of money. A lot of service members spend a lot and waste their money though, but that's not uncommon for young adults who suddenly have a lot more money than they've had before.

>allowances
Could you explain how these work? I get money for clothes/off-base housing?

off base money only if youre married. if not then haha fucc you

Here is the rundown on military pay, I'm in the Army so experiences may vary in other branches

>Base Pay: This is your pay for the month
>BAH: This is your housing money, use it for rent and shit. If you are single and the rank of E-1 through E-5, you do not get BAH. Yes that means if you are married you make more money. The reason for this is if you are not an E-6 or above, you live in the shitty ass barracks.(Approx $1200 depending on location)
>BAS: This is your grocery money, again if you are E-1 through E-5 you do not get this, it is immediately deducted to pay for the dining facility where you can get three meals a day if it's open. My dfac was disgusting so I never ate there. (Approx $300)
>Hazard pay: If you work in a dangerous environment which includes, but is not limited to combat, you will receive hazard pay. ($50-$200).

>Deductions
Federal Taxes
State taxes (depending on state)
SGLI (Life insurance)
GI Bill (only for first year in service)
Mid month pay (to be given on the 15th)

Probably missed something, but that's the basic run down.

Your yearly allowance for clothing isn't shit, at least not for me. I'm a gunner in a tank, my uniforms get fucked up pretty often. I buy about 3 per year, the allowance pays for about half of one uniform.

And if you're enlisting and you're not married, you will not get any allowances. Since gay marriage is legal now in the Army, many soldiers get married to their friends to make more money and live off base where they won't fuck with you on the weekends

Pretty good run down.

I would also mention that BAH and BAS are not taxed, so you only end up paying taxes on your base pay.

If you end up joining make sure you get a degree or certifications (assuming you aren't coming in an as officer) while serving so you have a plan B in case there are force cuts or you decide to separate.

You CAN save all of it.

Because you are young and have never had money like this before you will probably save none of it.

What's the patrician way to enlist? ROTC? Or should I just get an accounting degree and hate my life

>Since gay marriage is legal now in the Army, many soldiers get married to their friends to make more money and live off base where they won't fuck with you on the weekends
Is this really true?

It depends on your location and lifestyle. When I was in California I couldn't save much of anything even though I had a simple lifestyle. Everywhere else I could save nearly half my paycheck. You should still go out with friends and enjoy yourself

USAF Officerfag here. I'm only a 2LT so I'll share with you what I know but I'm by no means an expert.

It
A: depends on where you live, and what you do.
B: Depends on above, obviously, and how you're living.

If you live on base you sacrifice your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), which often times if you get a roommate (or a qt) you can pocket half of that, bringing in an extra 3 or 4 grand a year, depending on where you live.

You get a BAS (basic allowance for subsistence), which is a few hundred a month, depending on your rank, and how many dependents you have.

You get your base pay, which everyone can look up.

Finally: you get to shop at a commissary, and the BX, which is tax free, but there's often an up charge on shit, so all in all you spend about the same.

Any more questions please let me know

You dont need to be married to get BAS or BAH. I got both as an E-2 stationed overseas.

this is all wrong
your third or fourth day in basic your entire flight goes to finance and you get to A. create an account at air force federal credit union (a debit card to which you will get like week 2 or 3 while in basic because you get mail), or B. provide your routing and account number at whatever bank you already have, and theyll punch that into mypay and youll get paid into that account

while in basic everyone gets a plastic card similar to a phone prepaid card that has a numerical value of 400 on it, you can spend it at the mini shop or if you dont use it all by the time basic is up you can get whats left out of it.
you will get paid 3 to 4 times in basic if its still 8 weeks long as whatever rank you signed up for

Air force E-2 here,

An SNCO told me to start investing into a TSP right away. He said that he would've started investment earlier on in his career he would've been a millionaire by the time he hit his 20 year mark.

So don't just serve 20 years and wait for your pension. Invest TSP or something legit and profitable and you'll have a sustainable passive income by the time you reach 40.

I have nothing to add except AF is for fags, Army is if you have a death wish, Navy is for cool guys.

Not many, but it does happen. Say, a hundred people a year.

>Navy is for cool guys.
Navy is for niggers, mexicans, and women. AF is where the smart ones go, aka all the white men

Eat all of your food in the cafeteria.
Don't go out and spend your money on shit.
If you need to buy a car, then buy a complete jap shit box.

From what I've heard, you don't have much expendable income, but if you're willing to be frugal then the military is perfect for you.

>Since gay marriage is legal now in the Army, many soldiers get married to their friends to make more money and live off base where they won't fuck with you on the weekends

Thank you, Obama.

Is rape still commonplace in the army?

I'm thinking of doing MAVNI. I enlist in the US army and serve for a few years then I get green card.

I'm a 22-year-old scrawny Asian boy. I'm rather tall though (6 feet sharp)

I want to toughen myself up and get some money and stop living with my parents and possibly go to college in the US after finishing the program. I can't go to college here 'cause I'm broke. I see nothing for me here.

I am ready for tough training and possibly some verbal abuse but what I am afraid of is physical abuse and especially sexual abuse.

I want to enlist to stop being a fucboi, not to be a fucktoy for homos in the showers.

Honest, 1st-hand experiences, accounts appreciated. Thanks.

>Army

Oh god, why would you go into the Arm-

>MAVNI

Is MAVNI the only way you can get in, or do you have other options? What is your legal status?

spent one year in SF community college. might considering going back for a year since then I'm eligible for MAVNI.

Legal status F-1 international student

I think it's the only option.

Now that I googled, they give you US citizenship right away, not green card.

Still that is not worth ruptured rectum and herpes and AIDS

You don't get sodomized in the Army, that's the Navy.

I'd tell you to do literally any other branch than the Army, but AFAIK only the Army was chasing MAVNIs last time I checked. Still go ahead and ask at every other recruiting office first if they are enlisting MAVNIs. Try hitting up the Air Force since they're hard up for linguists if you have a relevant language.

I heard Air Force is the most bearable among the 3 branches of US military. Is it true?

Thanks for your input.

Sigh.

There are five branches. The Air Force treats its enlisted people the best and for that reason it is commonly reviled by the enlisted of other branches.

>There are five branches
I reminded myself of that when I hit Post.

Strange. It's the same with my country's military. Maybe Air Force is like that because they tend to be more educated.

I don't know about more educated, but... smarter.

Well the AF seems to recruit SIX people of my language, every year, or every 2 year. It's currently filled. I'll look into it. Thanks.

afsoc.af.mil/Units/AirForceSpecialOperationsAirWarfareCenter/USAFSOS/MAVNI.aspx

air force here. ask away

Not OP, but a question nonetheless.

If I were to fuck up during the CCT pipeline and wind up in SecFo do I have a reasonable chance of getting on a Close Precision Engagement Team?

About to hit five years usaf here.
1821.41 deposited in my bank account twice a month. 10% of my base pay goes into roth ira with thrift savings plan. I also go to school part time and that gets paid for. I also got a reenlistment bonus of about 14k that gets distributed over next four years once a year

Ask away

>If I were to fuck up during the CCT pipeline and wind up in SecFo do I have a reasonable chance of getting on a Close Precision Engagement Team?
Im not SF so i don't know a bunch about the career field. But getting in a special unit is usually pretty difficult. Just excel in literally everything you do, all kinds of test and you have a good chance.

I remember the catholic church let you deposit your aafes card to make donations. Fucking catholics.

Why even take the time to reply, stupid? You obviously dont know what youre talking about. You know youre a worthless piece of trash, right?

Literally no expenses.
Probably 100% if you want to live like a fucking shut in.
I saved about 33% a paycheck though.

Not OP, but I ship out in April.

>10% of my base pay goes into roth ira with thrift savings plan.

What are the differences between the TSP and an IRA? Or even just a 401k?

>only $50-$200 extra for getting shot at or blown up

Sounds kind of shitty desu.

I'm a A1C, Almost Senior Airmen 1C832

I'm stationed overseas and live off base because the internet at the dorms (which they force you to live in unless you're married) sucked ass. I gay married my best friend so he can get free health care and I get to live off base. Here's the best part, I get a housing allowance for my own houses rent but I also get one for the area my "husband" lives in since I'm overseas and he isn't sponsored to live with me. In total I get about 2.7k every 2 weeks and put about 1500 of it every month into my broker. I don't have a savings. It rocks if you want to make bank that's how you do it. However be vary careful with the job you pick. Maintenance life suck DICK!

Is there a way for me to join the Army as an 11B and have it make any sort of financial sense?

I make $53,000 as a cop but I hate the paperwork. Being an infantryman seems like it would be my dream job. But how can I take a $30k pay cut for it?

>I gay married my best friend
Did you get some sexual benefits off each other too?

Don't do it

nigger 11s are how you get killed, or get sent home with ptsd and no actual skills.

This sounds very enlightening user.

What if you find a qt to marry and you divorce your buddy, he loses health insurance (I assume he's dependent on it)? does he get half your shit or did you get a prenup?