What do you think about undercoating a car...

What do you think about undercoating a car? It seems like it would be a very good investment if you live in a climate where you have snow and salt. Fuck rust.
youtube.com/watch?v=YkGLNlchrJY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KDv47PJVhVw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's no replacement for washing the salt and shit out from under your car every week.

Pains me to live in Wisconsin because some weeks the car washes aren't even open because it's too cold.

if you wash your shit once a week youre fine, i wash my 2000 Chevy Silverado once a week in winter and live in north Canada and its rust free

one of my trucks i imported from Japan came undercoated from what looks like factory and shits minty but it doesnt replace washing weekly especially wheel wells and frame

Worthwhile investment. My car was undercoated when new in the 80s. It's never left ohio and it's solid as a rock

worth it but only if its a good coating

I oil undercoat me winter beater every fall, only way to slow the rust down around here. The roads are white from November to March, not from snow, just from salt

Undercoat is great (you want all the protection you can get)
If your paint isn't good though, all teh undercoat in the world won't stop the cancer getting worse.
Most cars need an hour with a grinder underneath and 50 dollars of spray paint . Then that undercoated.
Then that repeated yearly..

I know of someone who spray

Undercoating is a meme.

Rust comes from the metal itself because secret alliance of planned obsolescence add bad stuff to the metallurgical wizardry that make the car.

Nobody can stop it. It grows from within.

Repent, and maybe we can start a new world.

So if I buy a newer car that has really no rust on the bottom, undercoating would help it in the long term? Would you have to wash it less if you live in a place where there is snow and salt for 5 months?

hah nope

hell its literally all salted roads and nothing to do with snow at all

i live in a place with shit tons o snow but we dont salt roads

hell there is minimal surface rust on this truck

Just curious, but what type of oil? Do you use an old brush and slap it on?

I have access to numerous drums of used gear and motor oil and I was considering slapping it on underneath the car. Previous year I went through, cleaned all the visible rust, and applied primer but it isn't holding up.

Considered POR15, but it'd be an expensive solution.

I was highly considering gear oil, but the smell would eventually make me not want to drive the car.

Love snow, can't stand salt. I'm jelly, as that's a clean Ferd.

>Michigan sucks

>Michigan sucks
Not him but I live here too. Salt is bad but brine is satan incarnate. Make this out of PVC it helps big time.
youtube.com/watch?v=KDv47PJVhVw

That video gave me autism. Got zeebar package with my truck took off $6 mo on payments thinking i would trade it in. They recoat it once a year and will repair any paint damage forever. Im going to drive this thing 1,000,000 miles with flawless like new paint and under coat.

Pretty shitty. I've seen tons of cars rust out due to water/salt getting trapped between the undercoat and the floor, unable to drain or escape.

I always heard used motor oil is best

My 35 year old fox has an undercoating that's cracking and I worry it's actually trapping moisture I have some por-15 that I bought to treat some moderate rust on its far front frame rail to protect the shock tower but I'm not sure how to go about getting it up in the cracks in the undercoat.

I use fluid film sprayed through an undercoating gun myself, krown is super popular around here as well. Lineseed oil and bar/chain oil are also common. I'd imagine you'd have to cut the gear oil, but anything is better than nothing.

This is why oil based is the only way to go. My winter beater was undercoated with a rubber based undercoating at some time in it's life, it didn't help at all. Painting is all about prep, do you think an undercoating place gives two shits? Of course not, they just pray and spray it on, then it starts flaking off and rusting even worse.

take a grinder or sander (whichever works best for you/whatever you have) clean up the area so there are no cracks/bubbled areas

how do you wash the undercarriage? Do you need to lift the car?

Its good
Even stops existing rust from getting worse it you use a product like waxoyl

Living in MN virtually every single vehicle on the road has rust somewhere. This state murders cars.
The problem with any surface treatment is that unless the part is perfectly clean you're going to be trapping contaminates on the surface, and you can have rust develop right under the coating. Unless its applied at the factory its likely not going to be as good as you'd like. The alternative would be having some kind of plastic insert in the wheel wells along with a fitted plastic skid plate to protect the undercarriage. Good luck finding someone to do it though. Take out a loan and start a business.

Get an angled spray wand. Hold it upside down.

POR15 isn't expensive. A single quart is enough to paint the entire underside of a car.

Jesus dude... is that a fuel filter?