twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>camless
>HCCI
>electrically driven supercharger
60%+ thermal efficiency soon

we have them, its called a wankel

pistoncucks BTFO once again

mr konigseg and mazda man should become friends

Following the everything by wire I don't see a reason that we will not get timing by wire.

dorito was a mistake

yes, this man knows what's up. once everything is electrically driven and controlled, there will be a huge benefit in performance and efficiency.

the only thing left is an adjustable crank to alter stroke, and I have no idea if this is even mechanically feasible. hydraulically controlled piston rods? we now have the technology to shut off fuel, ignition and airflow to a cylinder, now to just stop (or minimize) the piston movement.

OP wants a camless engine that is actually good.

This will make tuning much more precise

The volume can be effectively altered by valve timing, allowing miller or Atkinson cycles.
There is technology available to vary compression ratio. AVL and nissan have presented this.

How high would these likely be able to rev?

>15000

perfect for race cars, terrible for the everyman commuter

the only thing i can think of that can make it better is direct injection.

You forgot Ferrari's fully variable intakes. Only things we're missing are fully variable exhausts and head ports

b but muh pushrods

I wonder how many engines they blown because of timing fuckups.

How viable is HCCI in a pushrod engine

It will never make emissions alone without some kind of hybridization

Its actually well suited as a range extender for an electric car.

That is what I said bud

it will happen, but electric will prevail victorious

#hailtesla

I thought superchargers decreased fuel efficiency, at least the conventional ones do, since they are driven directly by the engine. How is an electrical one different?

youtube.com/watch?v=ykxMqtuM6Ko

No physical connection to the engine, it's spun by an electric motor, so there is no parasitic loss. Some LMP1's get heat energy from brakes and exhaust, use it to charge batteries, and use electrical power to spin up the turbo.

Any sort of forced induction will reduce fuel economy. The point would be to shrink displacement without sacrificing power.

>camless
vaporware
>HCCI
meme
>electrically driven supercharger
turbochargers are better, and they don't "external" power
>implying 90% tuners aren't borderline retarded HS dropouts
>implying they will be even able to make use of it

You don't think camless is possible in consumer cars? Viable? I'm not sure what you think about them

>internal combustion
vaporware
>otto cycle
meme
>cars
horses are better, and they don't need "external" power

>by 1980, rotary engines will power 85% of all cars produced in the U.S.

Is Ward's Automotive still in business?

2 Stroke?

>mfw someone says something about camshafts near me

>maximal efficiency throught the rev range

RIP camshaft grinds, hello ECU tunes

>replacing one of these when they fail

What exactly makes you think having one of these fails would be less catastrophic than having a camshaft fail.

Valve train does not matter

That already exists.

more complexity, it will inevitably fail more often by manufacturing defects or neglect

BWAHAHAHAHA! Wankel is dead end, unless you want a huge lawnmower

>brainlet doesn't understand ECUs
Being an electrical engineer will finally pay off for me because it certainly hasn't landed me a job lmfaooo...

>the only thing left is an adjustable crank to alter stroke, and I have no idea if this is even mechanically feasible.
Here's something I have been wondering that's related, why do they not use a variable displacement axial piston design for combustion engines? I mean they're the go to for hydraulics and apparently according to wikipedia they are used to propel torpedos.

You forgot miller cycle.

holy fuck did you look at the diagram?

Elon plz go. No one cares about your rinky dink toy cars.

The desgin is pretty easy, much easier than desgining camshafts

>Car looses electricity mid drive for whatever reason
>engine nukes itself when the cylinders smash into the valves

>no parasitic loss
>powered by the alternator which increases in drag as load goes up
there is no such thing as free energy dingdong

Lifespan, that wobble effect will murder bearings. And before you talk about counterweights, the forces from combustion would be pushing off axis

>can be set up for over 400hp per litre naturally aspirated
>smallest engine configuration to date
>can rev to well beyond 12000 rpms if given proper bearings
>4rotor designs sound god tier
>must be redlined often to preserve performance
>doesn't wear out at higher revs like a piston engine
What's not to like desu
>inb4 reliability
My gslse has 140,000 miles on the original engine and dynod at 128 hp

*cough* Skyactiv-x *cough*

>Electric valve actutators
I didn't even think of this as a possibility. Fuck we've come a long way.

All I can see is those joints wearing out fast, especially with constant exposure to fuel.

Then why does that not pose a problem for the zillions of giant ass industrial grade axial piston hydraulic pumps/motors used in heavy industry?

Also they don't necessarily need to follow that exact pic that's just the first example I could find on Google that was animated

That motor is used for large displacement, very low rpm motors.
Anything that requires above 5k rpm would devastate those bearings. It would be like constantly pushing a cv axle while going 300mph

The engine I just posted above is not some giant monstrosity they make one that literally fits in two hands and makes over 100 hp that they intend for user on motorcycles.

articles.sae.org/13429/

>camless engines
youtube.com/watch?v=fIPCx1az7ks

>Camless turbo i6
>Optimal air intake timing for maximum power
>Knock out 2 cylinders when ez-mode cruising for better mileage

Plz someone develop an open source version already.

make that knock out 3 cyl and only activate the full 6 (+poppy sport exhaust) when you flip a fighter jet style toggle on the dash.

The engine would have to lose the alternator and battery at the same time

>that would totally never happen
It shouldn't be hard to design things like this to be fail-safe rather than fail-destory-your-engine.

Just make them non-interference engines, easy

>shit mileage
>shit reliability
>burns oil
You know exactly what's wrong with them, you just want to believe in the dorito

>128hp

So these liquid dick motherfuckers basically made a four-stroke equivalent of a rotary engine and nobody is talking about it???

And they made a rotary diesel

Wtf

It made 135 32 years ago. I'm going to bump it up with porting later !t dude

A rotary diesel actually makes more sense

Most rotaries are low-compression Wankels, whereas diesel/compression firing requires high compression, making a diesel rotary a pretty unique concept.

One that will shit itself twice as hard.

>5:1 compression
>4 litre
>v8
>200hp
we need this

>>electrically driven supercharger

You are misguided here. The biggest innovation which is yet to come is the hybrid turbo and I've only seen use with Formula 1 as of now.

No lag times. Press the throttle and the turbo is up to speed. The motor also controls turbine rotation, meaning you can allow for the turbo to spool in unison with the engine for constant intake pressure.

This is the future.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_turbocharger

Everything fails at some point.

These might be more reliable than pushrods over time, meaning 500k mile or more lifetime of engine.

Cars of the past, including your beloved pushrods, would have major failures under 100k miles incredibly often.

Now cars see more than 200k miles before catastrophic failures, with notable examples like Toyota exceeding 300k miles before major failures.

Bullshit,
CAS, or Compressed Air Supercharging is the real future.
Just gotta work out a recharge system

all memes aside, current cars ARE more reliable than they ever were

About 2k rpm. Really only feasable for a diesel.

2k rpm really? Do you have a source for that?

They got a shitload of money from DARPA. They want to use the engines for lawn mowers, small robotics, maybe even exoskeletons. It apparently doesn't scale well to high RPMs.

i hate tesla so much

Engineering > You

Reminds me of

>FUEL INJECTORS! JUST ANUDDA FAILURE POINT! I GOTS ONE CARB WIT THREE JETS AND DATS ENUFF FO ME!

And then injectors turned out to be fine, lasting longer than the fucking engine.

Go look it up, it already exists. There's a team using it for drag racing and top speed stuff.

>The efficiency of an electric supercharger is curbed by several energy conversion losses (alternator for charging), damp energy while charging the accumulators and the compressor providing boost. The losses are in general higher than direct kinematic linkage of intake air compressor to engine crankshaft. If the vehicle implements kinetic energy recovery, then the battery can be charged on otherwise wasted energy.

my sides

Good thing it runs on two high pressure tanks that are stored in the trunk and charged externally, retard.
It uses some battery to run the controller, and electric regulator, and that's it.

>Camless engines are shite

youtu.be/nM5REgq1aHI

So having high pressure tanks on a car is a better idea than putting a brushless, triple-phase motor on a turbo with a battery pack?

Do you have any idea how much energy it takes to pressurize a high CFM intake to 20psi?

Yes, because it is a complete separation.
It's basically like nitrous, but better. You can build the perfect N/A engine, and then just apply greater then atmospheric pressure to the intake whenever you want, however you want, at any speed you want.

About 5 minutes with an externally powered scuba pump gives you 15 seconds of boost.

user has a point, cars are way more reliable than they used to be.

The problem is that you cant fix the fuckers without manufacturer approved multi-thousand buck tools.

Sorry, 15 seconds on a Chevy v8. I'd guess like 800cfm at 11psi
Just YouTube it reeeeee

>It apparently doesn't scale well to high RPMs.
In that go-kart video it was pushing 10k rpm, did you mean it doesn't scale well with higher displacement?

Still needs a cam for timing but the sky's the limit for RPMs...

This. The current F1 engines are black magic fucking what the FUCK.

>use heat from brakes and exhaust
>I have no idea what thermoelectrics are
>I am retarded

Uhh, Nissan are about to start selling cars with exactly this, a variable crank placement that changes compression ratios

Also fuck yes I'm ready for camless engines. I have no idea what's taking so long with them coming to market

all of this is over complicated bullshit and will never have a place in road cars. Nor do pneumatically actuated cams.

>Camless engines have their problems. Common problems include high fuel consumption, accuracy at high speed, temperature sensitivity, weight and packaging, high noise, high cost, and unsafe operation if there are electrical problems in the vehicle.
BTFO