How long can you drive on completely worn brake pads?

How long can you drive on completely worn brake pads?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6RQ9UabOIPg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can drive forever, user.

You just won't be able to stop

Until you're unable to stop in time and incur damages worth 100x more than changing out your fucking brake pads.

At best, you'll ruin your fucking rotors.

Until the car doesn't stop anymore. By this point you're already in for new rotors, so might as well enjoy the
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
and not stopping

Replacing brake pads aren't even expensive, even if you have a shop do it. I don't understand why you wouldn't have them changed? Are you that poor or what?

Car shops get me anxiety. How hard is it to DIY? Do you have drain the brake fluid?

What are you 75 years old? Look it up on google/youtube.

You don't have to touch the fluid at all. Brakes are great DIY learner material.

It's more difficult than an oil change, mind, so you might need to work up to it.

But I have the best auto minds right here.

I've changed my oil and spark plugs before. is that enough experience?

>hasn't even done "baby's first car maintenance"
let me guess, warranty just expired?

Oh, you want a piece of our minds?

Here's a good one: SPOONFEED YOUR FUCKING SELF, TARD.

You're off to a decent start. Brakes are where you might have to start using some cleverness, cursing rust, having to know SUPER SECRET TRICKS like the bolt to break the rotors off, lubing them up so the don't squeak without getting lube all over. That sort of thing. Even bedding them in if you have Veeky Forums quality autism.

just stop
youtu.be/6RQ9UabOIPg

>go to amazon, type in your car and brake pads
>buy whatever is cheapest or shiniest, depending on what level of poorfag your at
>go to auto parts store, rent a break caliper piston compression tool (its usually free if you get the tool set back on time)
>get some break caliper grease, im sure your shitbox is running dry
>jack up car, remove wheel
>locate 2 bolts holding caliper on to rotor
>remove one two bolts, take the whole thing off
>throw away old pads and and those little metal clip things, replace with new clips
>use piston compression tool to push the piston back into the caliper
>apply grease at every point the package says to, just avoid the rotor and surface of pad
>line up new pads on each side of the rotor and slide caliper back on

its not really that hard, there are dozens of youtube videos that will walk you through the process and show you all the ways you can fuck up.

>use piston compression tool
I'm 12 yrs old and what is this

Just open the cap of the brake fluid thing (I refuse to spell dirty french words) and throw a c-clamp on it.

>piston compression tool

try doing that on a piston that needs to rotate at the same time as it compresses.

What is this some kind of German engineering?

My friend lost a brake pad, and drove just rubbing the caliper arm for like 2 weeks until I did her brakes.

Thankfully it was the outside pad, the caliper wasnt too damaged, and worked fine.

so you can drive for a while. worst is you'll ruin your caliper.

>he can't push the pistons back with his bear hands
*laughingfitizens.png*

They are going to damage the disks mane.

>piston compression tool

don't have one and they sound expensive.

guess I'm going to die soon

you can fucking rent one for "free" at auto zone

am i the only assclown who uses torque specs for things???

what are needle nose pliers? They are threaded you dont need to put force while turning

anti-seize and gutentight > torque specs
Unless you're doing delicate work or you're not too poor to buy torque wrenches, even if they're just the clickey ones.

The life of the car :^)

>How hard is it to DIY?
Not really on most cars.
>Do you have drain the brake fluid?
no